What's your opinion on DLC?

#61darkstar4221Posted 10/8/2013 11:23:12 AM(edited)
n00bsaib0t posted...
It doesn't look like crap. Its no worse than a PS2 game.

And how old are you that you think the economy is so much worse now than during the PS2 era? People use "economy" and "job market" as if they're the exact same thing. Gaming isn't more expensive, less people are employed. There is a huge difference.

I mean hell, you don't need a $40 memory card (that was sold out everywhere the first year and a half the console existed, making resale elsewhere ridiculously over priced) anymore. I don't see you b****ing about the hidden costs of those bad boys on a PS2, but those $4 HDMI cables are a real bank breaker huh bro? You were clearly a child in the PS2 era and the only reason youre complaining about these things now is because you have to buy them yourself.

Well if the job market is poor, you think the economy is good? The fact is more people are leaving the labor force than actually being employed says a lot about the economy. Have you checked the cost of gas prices, food prices, health prices, all that inflation, combined with low job opportunities that's a "great" economy ? The economy isn't this bad during the PS2 era so consumers had no problem buying the $40 memory cards" (they were $20, I remember).

$4 HDMI cables only exist online, the actual HDMI cables that are provided by Sony are sold for $17 in every retail store, even besides that you won't find a $4 HDMI cable in a typical retail store, maybe if you are lucky. You didn't need to check every store for a decent cable so that your console will look decent with the PS1 or PS2.

And if you are broke $60 video games is a lot of money, can't pirate because it's extremely difficult to pirate on the PS3. I haven't even gotten to the console itself. The PS2 was $129.99 *new* at it's cheapest. Sure you can buy a PS3 for $199 that's only the 12GB, a major rip-off.

Oh yeah and retail prices for video games were $49.99 back then, and it is now $59.99, and in my cases video games would take forever to go down in price.
#62n00bsaib0tPosted 10/8/2013 11:42:50 AM
I don't know why you keep bringing up piracy but I'm going to make this easy for you to understand, on a PS3 its as simple as installing a firmware update and running an ISO from a flash drive. Not like the PS2 days where you had to physically modify your system and know how to burn the games. Like I said before, it's easier than ever and the software mod isn't illegal, just the piracy.

If you only remember $20 memory cards you got into the PS2 late in its life span. The cards retailed for $40 early on, if you could find one. Many people had crappy third party memory cards that constantly failed the first year the console was out, causing them to have to buy another one or get scalped for an official one.

Many stores have HDMI cables cheap. I got the official Sony PS3 cables for my PS3 for $4 at Walmart. Seriously. Even if you don't buy them, a PS3 looks no worse than a PS2 without them.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#63jovewolfPosted 10/8/2013 11:54:32 AM
darkstar4221 posted...
$4 HDMI cables only exist online, the actual HDMI cables that are provided by Sony are sold for $17 in every retail store, even besides that you won't find a $4 HDMI cable in a typical retail store, maybe if you are lucky. You didn't need to check every store for a decent cable so that your console will look decent with the PS1 or PS2.

Except pretty much any old HDMI cable will work with a PS3 - you don't need an official Sony one as they are all the same - on the other hand if you wanted the best picture out of a PS2 then you needed component cables specifically designed to work with a PS2, which could be somewhat difficult to locate.

(Incidentally however, this PS2 component cable did also work at the very least with the first generation of PS3 hardware, and gave you a reasonable HD picture.)

Also back in the early-to-mid 90s it was not uncommon to see popular games on the SNES and Genesis retailing new for about $80-$100. Granted this can partly be attributed to cartridges costing a lot more to produce than disc media, but at the same time development costs were way, way lower than they are today.
---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."
#64themegaman7Posted 10/8/2013 12:00:52 PM
Whem getting all the DLC means paying double the price of the original game something is seriously wrong. I'm looking at you FE: Awakening btw.
---
3DS FC: 0817-3836-3544 - PSN: Expa0
- The official Doppelganger of SMT IV boards -
#65iMURDAuPosted 10/8/2013 12:55:01 PM
True but you didn't need to shop around that much to get cables for your PS1 or PS2 right?

The PS3 comes with cables doesn't it? And HDMI cables are easily found for under $5 online. I have a spare one right now.

Also the PS3 isn't a Blu-ray player in the stand alone sense. Its a game console that has Blu-ray player as an extra, which makes sense as it comes from Sony. Sony makes motion pictures, they'd be irresponsible to allow pirated movies to be easily played on their game system.

@themegaman7:

What's wrong with that? Do you require all the DLC in order to finish the game? Would you rather it all come included and the game cost more? I hope you realize all the spotpass maps, items, and bonus teams were, um, free. Outside of getting Bride and Dread Fighter classes the DLC isn't anything special. Unless you really need +10 for all stats.
---
-.-- --- ..- / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / ... .--. . -. - / - .... .. ... / - .. -- . / .--. .-.. .- -.-- .. -. --. / .- / --. .- -- .
#66Second_ChancesPosted 10/8/2013 12:58:47 PM
Really depends

- I don't care at all for what they do with cosmetic stuff.
- Actual content updates depend to me on the severity of the content.
- Free DLC is almost always nice.
- On-disc DLC is crap, but I'll still support it if I like the game enough.
- Limited time only DLC is devil incarnate and one of the most cancerous practices I have ever seen
#67demonfang178Posted 10/8/2013 4:00:33 PM
Unless you really need +10 for all stats.

Streetpass.

That aside, DLC alone is neither good nor bad. For every $5 on disc mediocre fighter with crap assists (hello Jill), we get a Mister Torque's Campaign of Carnage to balance it out.
#68HermeticJusticePosted 10/8/2013 5:07:33 PM
the only good DLC are expansion packs, a la Elder Scroll

and even I wouldn't really consider that DLC
---
The Official Kerberos of the SMT IV Board + Friend Code: 4983 - 6166 - 9895
QVODSVPERIVS.MACROPROSOPVS + QVODINFERIVS.MICROPROSOPVS