Help me decide if I'm getting a 3DS.

#1EnygmaSoulPosted 10/6/2013 7:37:50 PM
While the upcoming release of Pokemon X and Y certainly has me intrigued, I've never felt particularly compelled to buy a 3DS until now. My rent just got reduced and I'm finally in a position to actually set aside some money to save for a few random things I want (like replacing my Kindle, cheap p.o.s. refuses to start anymore, even with the battery fully charged). I don't consider the new Pokemon games Absolute Must Haves, but the existence of them has gotten me about, say, 30% of the way towards deciding the grab the system.

Now, I'm an avid RPG and strategy gamer in general, so what I'd like to hear from you, gameFAQs, is a list and/or summaries of any decent RPG titles currently available on the platform. If there are any solid tactical RPGs so much the better. I'm basically just trying to find enough things to be psyched up for to actually commit to setting the money aside.

So, please, gameFAQs, sell me on this handheld.
#2mrjack3112Posted 10/6/2013 7:45:29 PM
You decide what is best for your financial situation.
---
When I get double vision, I just close one eye and I am all better!
#3EnygmaSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 7:50:54 PM(edited)
While I appreciate the affirmation of my ability to make my own decisions, that's not the purpose of this thread. I'm relatively unfamiliar with the 3DS platform's game library, and so this is an information seeking mission: I want to find out what may be available on the system that conforms to my own individual tastes and preferences (which I left broadly defined in the first post), in order to make the "deciding what is best for my financial situation" process an EDUCATED one.

I don't want to either jump in, or bail out, blindly.
#4LeanaunfurledPosted 10/6/2013 7:53:06 PM
Bravely Default
Etrian Odyssey IV and Untold
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Project X Zone
SMTIV
Soul Hackers
---
Currently Playing: GTAV, Monster Hunter 4
3DS FC: 2707-2560-1312 JPN FC 1907-9095-4490
#5EnygmaSoul(Topic Creator)Posted 10/6/2013 7:55:18 PM
Leanaunfurled posted...
Bravely Default
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Project X Zone
SMTIV
Soul Hackers

I'll look into those titles and see what I think of them, thank you :)
#6jerrbear64Posted 10/6/2013 7:57:21 PM
get it

now i'm not 100% sure just what a tactical rpg is exactly, but I think that is what Fire Emblem Awakening is considered and that's a pretty good game

there are a ton of good games + all the great DS games if you have yet to play them

so yep i'd pick one up if I was you
#7nikowwfPosted 10/6/2013 8:13:36 PM
Fire Emblem and SMTIV are awesome.
#8senttooblivianPosted 10/6/2013 8:27:12 PM
I have been gaming since the NES and owned/played nearly every system, and I can honestly say this is one of my favorite systems.

Animal Crossing (honestly the only people I know that say they don't like this game, haven't played it)
Pokémon
Mario Kart
All the other Mario games
Luigis Mansion
Fire Emblem
SMT4
Kingdom Hearts 3d
Super Smash Bros coming out
New LoZ coming out
New Kirby coming out
Adventure Time
Cave Story

I'm sure there are more good ones I'm missing too. Plus all the classic games available for download.
---
Wii U NNID: Dee_Battery PSN-pidgeons
3DS FC: 5429-7398-8841 XBL: A Hippy Jew
#9NathanisDrakePosted 10/6/2013 8:29:36 PM
Leanaunfurled posted...
Bravely Default
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
Project X Zone
SMTIV
Soul Hackers

And to add:
Monster Hunter 3U/4
Devil Survivor: Overclocked
Tales of the Abyss
Kingdom Hearts
Virtue's Last Reward
Kid Icarus Uprising
Code of Princess
M&L: Dream Team
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Rune Factory 4

And those are just off the top of my head, as I'm pretty I left out a lot, some even on purpose, since I'm not quite sure it specifically suits your taste(AC, DKCR, and Resident Evil comes to mind).

Also keep in note that if you haven't already own a DS, the 3DS has full DS BC which gives you the option to play all the great DS games you missed out on, in addition to expanding the already huge library of the 3ds.

So I'd say just go for it. No reason not to, especially considering the amount of games it offers.
---
"My pin number is 0001, because I'm number 1!"
- Manfred Von Karma // http://i.imgur.com/CVFgSqj.jpg