Getting a 3DS XL and about 10 games. What should i get?

#1TidusFan77Posted 10/7/2013 3:17:23 AM
Hi guys, I just hopped into the Nintendo bandwagon. Only had sony consoles all my life. Gonna get pokemon and probably 9 other games together with it. Could this board list out 9 other good games worth purchasing?

Am a big fan of RPG, Interactive adventure games ala Heavy Rain, In Depth simulation games, Action games.

I dislike racing and straight up puzzle games (candy crush-ish types)
#2Primum_MobilePosted 10/7/2013 3:58:03 AM
ooh~

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors: Visual Novel/Text adventure. It's a DS game, but you need to play this for the next recommendation)

Virtue's Last Reward: Sequel to 999

Shin Megami Tensei 4: Dungeon Crawler RPG w/ dark story.

Fire Emblem: Awakening: Strategic RPG, though some might say it's a little lacking in the strategic part.

Etrian Odyssey 4 and/or Untold: Dungeon crawler RPG, emphasis on making the dungeon map yourself on the bottom screen and high group/character customization. Untold is remake of the EO1 w/ some high emphasis on story.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Series (1-4, and the upcoming dual destiny/5): Text adventure/epic court room action. 1-4 is DS game, and 1-3 are also available on iOS (probably cheaper on latter, w/o any real drawback). iirc 4 you have to buy the ds version. All of these is to set you up for AA5 that's coming later this month. They are all great games.

The rest are kind of iffy recommendation. Do your research thoroughly before committing to a purchase. I do think they are great games though.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: latest MH game. semi-realistic monster hunter action game, w/ steep learning curve but great feeling of reward when you beat those !@#$.

Animal crossing: New Leaf: kind of like sim, maybe? but not exactly that either.

Harvest Moon: A New Town and Rune Factory 4: Farm simulation, if you are into simulation-games. Rune Factory also has combat, where as HM is focused on farming.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of TIme 3D: Remake of one of the best rated game of all times. Not saying you are guarantee to like it, and it is an old game. But it might be worth seeing what the buzz is.

Kid Icarus: Uprising: 3rd person shooter w/ on-rail flight shooting segments. Great game w/ funny dialogue and great game play. Some people can't get used to the unique control though, so be warned.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: rhythm game w/ FF musics. If you are a die hard FF fan, and don't mind rhythm game, you should definitely get this. IMO the rhythm game part isn't the best though, but that's just me.

I think that's all from me....
Oh, there's also tons of great DS game you can play, like TONS. (so many that i don't even want to bother at this point :P )
---
I need a sharp instrument... or blunt, blunt is good, too.
- Chisame Hasegawa, Negima (Del Rey TL)
#3pratypusPosted 10/7/2013 4:02:21 AM
What he said, except if you want only 3DS games screw 999 and Phoenix wright and get Mario and luigi Dream Team and Kid Icarus.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3846-7427 Pratypus in everything else.
#4Primum_MobilePosted 10/7/2013 4:13:07 AM
pratypus posted...
What he said, except if you want only 3DS games screw 999 and Phoenix wright and get Mario and luigi Dream Team and Kid Icarus.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=6935863
---
I need a sharp instrument... or blunt, blunt is good, too.
- Chisame Hasegawa, Negima (Del Rey TL)
#5Eternal_Dream21Posted 10/7/2013 4:44:38 AM(edited)
Nintendo DS:

Chrono Trigger DS
Radiant Historia
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
Megaman Zero Collection
Dragon Quest IX

3DS:

Legend of Zelda OoT3D
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem
Pokemon X/Y
Kingdom Hearts 3D (or Tales of the Abyss if you haven't played the other KH games)
#6TidusFan77(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 5:01:57 AM
Primum_Mobile posted...
ooh~

Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors: Visual Novel/Text adventure. It's a DS game, but you need to play this for the next recommendation)

Virtue's Last Reward: Sequel to 999

Shin Megami Tensei 4: Dungeon Crawler RPG w/ dark story.

Fire Emblem: Awakening: Strategic RPG, though some might say it's a little lacking in the strategic part.

Etrian Odyssey 4 and/or Untold: Dungeon crawler RPG, emphasis on making the dungeon map yourself on the bottom screen and high group/character customization. Untold is remake of the EO1 w/ some high emphasis on story.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Series (1-4, and the upcoming dual destiny/5): Text adventure/epic court room action. 1-4 is DS game, and 1-3 are also available on iOS (probably cheaper on latter, w/o any real drawback). iirc 4 you have to buy the ds version. All of these is to set you up for AA5 that's coming later this month. They are all great games.

The rest are kind of iffy recommendation. Do your research thoroughly before committing to a purchase. I do think they are great games though.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: latest MH game. semi-realistic monster hunter action game, w/ steep learning curve but great feeling of reward when you beat those !@#$.

Animal crossing: New Leaf: kind of like sim, maybe? but not exactly that either.

Harvest Moon: A New Town and Rune Factory 4: Farm simulation, if you are into simulation-games. Rune Factory also has combat, where as HM is focused on farming.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of TIme 3D: Remake of one of the best rated game of all times. Not saying you are guarantee to like it, and it is an old game. But it might be worth seeing what the buzz is.

Kid Icarus: Uprising: 3rd person shooter w/ on-rail flight shooting segments. Great game w/ funny dialogue and great game play. Some people can't get used to the unique control though, so be warned.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: rhythm game w/ FF musics. If you are a die hard FF fan, and don't mind rhythm game, you should definitely get this. IMO the rhythm game part isn't the best though, but that's just me.

I think that's all from me....
Oh, there's also tons of great DS game you can play, like TONS. (so many that i don't even want to bother at this point :P )

Wow thank you for your reviews man! will look into it!
#7x_stevey_xPosted 10/7/2013 6:26:12 AM
why on earth would you buy 10 games at once? pick a couple you want to play.. then buy more as needed
#8brolynickPosted 10/7/2013 6:36:07 AM
Definitely get Fire Emblem: Awakening. I picked this up having never played a Fire Emblem game before and I never was a huge fan of grid turn-based RPG's but so far it's one of my favorite games this year. It's at the top of the list alongside The Last Of Us/GTA V/Bioshock Infinite. I only picked it up on a whim because I heard good things and I'm glad I did.

Also get Animal Crossing if you're into that sorta stuff, and DK Country Returns 3D if you're into 2D platformers. It's one of the best in the genre.
---
Chris Jericho is better than God.
#9TroutfischPosted 10/7/2013 7:04:42 AM
I just picked up one myself about a month ago,

So far I only have Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, which I definitely recommend if you don't mind grinding. Huge game though with plenty of quests.
---
PSN: Troutfisch
Dark Arisen Pawn: Troutfisch | Troutfisch | Mira | 143 | Mage
#10QuackycoasterPosted 10/7/2013 8:47:48 AM
I just got one myself about 2 weeks ago. The games I bought so far:

Rune Factory 4: This was actually the main reason I decided to splurge on a 3DS. I had been wanting one for awhile, saw RF4 coming out and bought it a day later.

Mario Kart: This one's fairly given, if you only have 10-20 minutes to play, this game is perfect, fire it up, play a few races and go on your merry way.

Etrian Odyssey 4: Highly customizable first person dungeon crawler with some fairly unique features. First game I've ever played where you get to create your own dungeon maps.

Animal Crossing: I saw my friends playing the original gamecube version of the game, made fun of them for how stupid it plays. Fast forward to 4am and we're still playing it. This is the game that made me realize you can never judge a game without playing it. I mean what sounds fun about running around doing errands for people, while picking up weeds in your city?

Zelda OoT: One of my all time favorite games, had to get it again.

Super Mario Land 3D: Wanted a good mario game, this one had a lot of positive reviews.

Preordered Pokemon Y becasue I love me some crack.