Total Pokemon newb thinking about playing the games for the first time

#1rdross80Posted 10/9/2013 5:22:22 PM
It seems like every time I look at a best-of list for any of Nintendo's handhelds, the Pokemon games always seem to be in the list and game sites seem to always score them very highly. I don't know much of anything about the series, whether it be the games or the tv show (it came out after I had already graduated). But being these games seem so highly acclaimed, it has piqued my curiosity and I would like to try them out. My question is, can I start anywhere in the game franchise without being totally confused, or should I start with the very first Game Boy games and work my way through them all?
---
"Am I precious to you now?" - Disturbed, Rise
"Precious?!" - Gollum, LOTR
#2Bluez09Posted 10/9/2013 5:25:22 PM
Play FireRed or LeafGreen.
---
Hey! I've hit 1st prestige in MW2 so I know a thing or two about strategy!
http://i.imgur.com/qQLJe62.jpg
#3Tzuba12Posted 10/9/2013 5:30:33 PM(edited)
You can literally start anywhere. The games don't have connected stories so you don't need to play any of the past titles. I say just start with X and Y.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059
Steam: Tzuba
#4LeanaunfurledPosted 10/9/2013 5:33:44 PM
I'd say start with X/Y. Or maybe look around, see what legendaries in games interest you most (example, I'm in love with Silver because I like Lugia and Suicune) and start there.
---
Currently Playing: GTAV, Monster Hunter 4
3DS FC: 2707-2560-1312 JPN FC 1907-9095-4490
#5DAT_DANG_Posted 10/10/2013 12:24:47 AM
I would definitely go with X/Y. Every Generation adds 100+ new Pokemon but if you're new to the series they will ALL be new anyways. Plus since it will be new to you anyways you can experience all of the new stuff with everyone else at the same time.

I do recommend playing through the older games though. They all follow the same routine for the most part but they are still fun to play. They might feel a little more bare bones depending on how far you go back but it would take you quite a long time to get through all of them just to get to X/Y and the stories don't carry over.
---
http://backloggery.com/dat_doofus
Gamers should talk about Games, not the Consoles they are played on
#6SMASHKING84Posted 10/10/2013 12:58:26 AM
depends on how much money you want to spend. normally i suggest people start with gen 3. but really any gen 3 or after is probally a good starting point.

the reason say start with gen 3 is you'll get more pokemon by transfering from gen 3.
---
If you don't like what i say, ignore list is there for a reason.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFHMIqF6kE
#7ssbmrocksPosted 10/10/2013 1:03:34 AM
No need to start with the Gameboy games. As amazing as they were back in the day, they are way outdated. Just start with X or Y and see how you like it. In addition to the new Pokemon in it, it has a ton of the older ones (over 450 out of over 649. The new ones put that number over 700).

If you end up liking X/Y, there's a lot you can get into; online play, catching 'em all (which will require some of the other DS or even GBA games to do. If you really like X/Y, you can look into the DS games to fill out your collection more).

Pokemon is a great RPG series. Pokemon games, no matter what generation, always ease newcomers into the series. If you talk to all of the early game NPC's, they'll teach plenty of what you need to know. There are plenty of external sources to consult as well, Pokemon is pretty huge.
---
Them ain't your funyuns, them's Foxxy's funyuns.
#8zinformantPosted 10/10/2013 1:04:26 AM
Bluez09 posted...
Play FireRed or LeafGreen.

I'm going to add that this is poorly given advice. These games lack modern conveniences from the DS era and have painfully old game design. Unlike the remakes of Gold and Silver, they did not fix the issues with the first generation games, being the first remake to be found. As a first entry, Diamond and Pearl are the furthest back I would go, and it's worth noting I hold Emerald in very high regard.

I would advise, personally, starting with Platinum if not the upcoming X or Y. It has enough modernity and content to last you and gives you a strong flavor for what the series currently is about. Heart Gold and Soul Silver are not bad recommendations, but they suffer from design issues of their own and, additionally, are unlike Pokemon games of today because the formula (as we know it) was established with Ruby and Sapphire.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
No news now-
#9helldewPosted 10/10/2013 1:40:43 AM
I wouldnt start with the advanced gen unless you have a GBA and are fairly willing to try it. they arent bad games and pokemon has always been fairly fundamentally at its core the same which in turn makes buying the new ones a lot easier.

honestly i would just go with X or Y and if you care to go back go back if you dont then dont.
---
Opening up a Youtube/Facebook channel check me out at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hell-dew/385088068261207
#10MivoPosted 10/10/2013 1:58:55 AM
Definitely get X or Y. There is really no good reason not to. If you end up really digging the franchise and you want to "catch 'em all", you can always do that later, too. In fact, you can't transfer any old pokemons to X/Y before end of December.