There's only one reason Pokemon got a worldwide release.

#1iGenesisPosted 10/11/2013 3:40:25 AM
It's purely a marketing ploy so Nintendo could claim that it's the "fastest selling Pokemon games in history." This sounds good on a press release.

Game Freak has been using silly gimmicks to boost launch day/week sales, from the figures/toys for HGSS to exclusive launch window distribution event species/items.

In previous generations, they could only claim one region's sales at a time. The worldwide sales graph would show a spike (Japan) followed by a flat line, then 6 months later, another spike (NA launch) and so forth. Now, there will be just one spike for the worldwide launch.

But in the end, it's lifetime sales that matter. RB sold 31M, GS 23M, DP 17M and BW 15M (numbers from Nintendo Investor Relations.) Strong 1st day/week/month sales don't necessarily translate to good long-term sales.
---
GameFAQs.com: You make the content; CBS makes the money.
Year of the PS3: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 | Year of the PS4: 2014-
#2ObtuseAnginaPosted 10/11/2013 3:41:23 AM
This is a topic by iGenesis.
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/qtiKuN7.png
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,...Husky Unit, covering the base since 1997.
#3DeathSoul2000Posted 10/11/2013 3:55:15 AM
tl;dr
#4BeanBeanKingdomPosted 10/11/2013 4:05:53 AM
I'll make sure to contribute to that "fastest-selling" target. :D
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#5Lord_FroodPosted 10/11/2013 4:16:50 AM
ObtuseAngina posted...

It is. And it makes sense. What's your point?
---
"PS3 is my favourite hentai game." - TakayaNoriko
http://youtu.be/ROk_XmYV_WI
#6newboydannyPosted 10/11/2013 4:26:26 AM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
I'll make sure to contribute to that "fastest-selling" target. :D

Same here! =D
---
My 3DS FC: Is a secret to everybody...
Twitter @DJ_star_knight
#7Tino_Tonitini2Posted 10/11/2013 4:30:58 AM(edited)
I normally don't respond to your topics, TC but I will make an exception this time.

Even if I agree with your initial statement (I'm sure the possibility of earning the "fastest-selling" title did cross their collective minds but it's probably not the only reason to do a simultaneous global launch), everyone outside of Japan still wins because they get it within hours of each other (a day tops). Even if the reason is self-serving and shallow, it still doesn't detract from the fact that most Pokémon fans won't have to wait 3-6 months while Japan enjoys the games. It's a great thing.

While I agree that lifetime sales are important and launch sales aren't a fool-proof indicator of future success, they generally do help companies gauge the demand for their product. Usually, if a product sells well at launch, it is usually deemed a success in the long-run. I'm painting with some broad strokes and there have been exceptions (and there will certainly be more in the future), but the general idea still rings true.

I have to say, with all due respect, this might be one of your least effective attempts at being a perpetual Pokémon party-pooper (sorry I couldn't resist using alliteration).
#8brStalkerPosted 10/11/2013 4:30:19 AM
Lord_Frood posted...
ObtuseAngina posted...

It is. And it makes sense. What's your point?

Except that he apparently thinks that 1st party Nintendo games only have good sales figures during their release week.
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega
#9mrjack3112Posted 10/11/2013 4:42:25 AM
Same day release worldwide=digital copies(instant money)
There is no middle man who takes a little from your share.
Business is business.
---
When I get double vision, I just close one eye and I am all better!
#10beavisjonesPosted 10/11/2013 4:45:11 AM
So am I still allowed to buy these games? I don't get it...