3DS XL right hinge crack!

#1overmaxxPosted 10/13/2013 2:01:23 AM
Well god damn.
Noticed my 3DS XL was making a louder crack than usual when closing a few months ago (and that's saying something, it's loud as it is outside the box), but didn't care too much.

Now I notice this:
http://i.imgur.com/sIUbSgd.jpg

The crack wobbles a bit when I close the lid, and "closes" again when the lid is completely down.
Hinge resistance/positions/etc feel perfect though, it snaps into place fine just like it was brand new, playability is perfect too.

It's out of warranty by 2 months (ugh), my question is... can this get real bad real fast or can I still play it fine for 1 year or so? Is this a fast death sentence, or just a minor exterior thing?

I'm worried, I actually wanted to buy a Wii U this year but if I have to choose between the Wii U and continuing to play Pokemon X, choice will be clear and I'll have to buy another one.

Thanks ;_;
#2KillingHarderPosted 10/13/2013 2:04:09 AM
Don't snap the system all the way back and you should be fine for a good while.
#3overmaxx(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 2:07:34 AM
KillingHarder posted...

You mean the final position? The completely vertical one where the screens are aligned?

I think I never used that one for more than 5 minutes.
Never dropped it or anything either.

But yeah, I'll use it until it snaps off, at which point I'll have to save money for a new one and system transfer.
#4KillingHarderPosted 10/13/2013 2:09:36 AM
overmaxx posted...
KillingHarder posted...

You mean the final position? The completely vertical one where the screens are aligned?

But yeah, I'll use it until it snaps off, at which point I'll have to save money for a new one and system transfer.

I have no idea how that cracked without having it in that position. Generally that's where stress occurs and it cracks the hinges.

Leave it out of that slot and you'll be fine.
#5salim118118Posted 10/13/2013 2:09:38 AM
overmaxx posted...
KillingHarder posted...

I had the same problem with my DS. The hinge had come off and it became floppy. It still works perfectly fine, but its just that if i move the DS, then the screen might just shut by itself :/
---
PSN-TheSALIMINATOR
3DS FC - 5043-2064-2435
#6Thunderbird8Posted 10/13/2013 4:23:53 AM
I had a part of that hinge break off shortly after I noticed a similar (but bigger) crack in it. Haven't had any problems with it despite that.
#7GamerRafPosted 10/13/2013 5:10:34 AM
I got a crack but on my Sony pulse headset. The only solution to that is probably buying some plastic bond glue and try gluing them together, the bond is really strong. Or just send it to Nintendo but they charge too much for this type of thing.
---
"Lets release a console with no games and no marketing." -Satoru Iwata, 2012
#8AncientRomeBCPosted 10/13/2013 5:11:52 AM
i guess the 2DS doesn't look so bad now huh?
---
3DS = 0920-0779-9164 * Vita = Merlin--Camelot
"Veni, Vidi, Vici" - Caesar
#9Pereb27Posted 10/13/2013 5:25:15 AM
If I were you, I'd close that crack with a little bit of super glue.
#10overmaxx(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 11:16:08 AM
Will try super glue guys, thanks.

But I think it may be some shock absorbing problem, or lack thereof, as when I close the lid the entire area around the crack wants to break off with it, like the lid is pushing the entire system on the right side with it, like something was supposed to take that impact but isn't there.
Really weird, I wonder if someone dropped it or sat on top of it and didn't tell me.