Popular gaming franchises that you could never get into?

#1C__NPosted 10/25/2013 11:33:01 PM
What are the franchises that are big/popular/hyped but you could never get into them after trying one or two games?

For me -
- Mario: not my type of gameplay
- Zelda: Loved the GBA titles (especially minish cap), but could never properly get involved in the DS titles due to my dislike of being forced to use the stylus.
- Pokemon: the last title I played was HG/SS and I got bored of the franchise.
---
3DS FC: 3153 3411 7974
Currently playing: RF4, SMT:DeSu1, Radiant Historia
#2jedinatPosted 10/25/2013 11:45:43 PM(edited)
C__N posted...
- Zelda: Loved the GBA titles (especially minish cap), but could never properly get involved in the DS titles due to my dislike of being forced to use the stylus.

Uhh... I loved Minish Cap too. Don't tell me the only other Zelda games you've tried are the DS ones. I love Zelda and didn't care for the DS games...

Your listing Zelda here doesn't make any sense. Because apparently you haven't actually tried getting into it (if you haven't played OoT/MM/WW).
#3TinyTim123Posted 10/26/2013 12:03:58 AM
jedinat posted...
C__N posted...

Uhh... I loved Minish Cap too. Don't tell me the only other Zelda games you've tried are the DS ones. I love Zelda and didn't care for the DS games...

Your listing Zelda here doesn't make any sense. Because apparently you haven't actually tried getting into it (if you haven't played OoT/MM/WW).

I like the 2D Zelda games (with the exception of the DS ones, 'cause of the forced touch), Ocarina of Time 3D was my very first 3D Zelda and I didn't like it, couldn't get into it, failed to adapt to the control scheme, died often, and quit at about five hours in because I was having no fun at all with a game that seemed to take itself far too seriously compared to the lighter tone of the other Zelda games I had played.

I also don't really care for the 3D Mario games, though to be fair, the only one I've played has been Mario 3D Land. I played all the way through the main story, about halfway through the extra levels, and rebeat many of the levels with Luigi before abandoning the game, and just saying screw it. To be fair though, it may be that I had suddenly completely lost interest in Mario games... I pretty much warped to the last level in NSMB2 and beat it and never looked back, never went in to finish all the other stages anything like that.

Pokémon: I enjoyed Red Blue and Yellow, even linked them up to Pokémon Stadium on the N64 I dug out of the trash and fixed... and then gave to a friend a few days later. I just... I can't bring myself to care about the main games anymore. I enjoy the Mystery Dungeon games, and I enjoyed the heck out of Rumble Blast, playing for over 200 hours, but it seems like the main Pokémon games aren't my thing.

3D Metroid... are we detecting a pattern here? Maybe I just don't like 3D gaming, but while I enjoyed every other 2D Metroid game, I dislike most First Person shooty games.

GTA. It's just not my type of game... at least not since GTA 2.

The new Resident Evil games. I love 1, 2, 3, REMake, Code Veronica, Zero... liked 4 but couldn't beat it... the change in gameplay ruined it for me. Loved Revelations though.

God of War: again, not my kind of game.

Call of Duty, and most other FPS since the XBox360... Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVED TimeSplitters and both of the sequels... but FPS take themselves too seriously and are just not fun anymore for me.

I could probably go on and on and on and on. I'll just stop here, though.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#4Millertime660Posted 10/26/2013 12:11:38 AM
you need to boot up that N64 and play super mario 64 stat!!!!
#5awkwardbomb1Posted 10/26/2013 12:20:47 AM
C__N posted...
What are the franchises that are big/popular/hyped but you could never get into them after trying one or two games?

For me -
- Mario: not my type of gameplay
- Pokemon: the last title I played was HG/SS and I got bored of the franchise.

Is this a hate topic TC? Those examples are your problem.
#6DarkAdonis123Posted 10/26/2013 12:42:09 AM
Castlevania
Metroid
COD
Killer Instinct
Dark Souls
Infamous
Assassin's Creed
Killzone
Madden

There's a lot more, but that's what immediately came to mind.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#7LightHawKnightPosted 10/26/2013 1:32:32 AM
Almost anything that is not an RPG or Strategy game. Aka FPSes and Sports games. They all suck to me.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#8Tino_Tonitini2Posted 10/26/2013 1:44:02 AM(edited)
Metal Gear Solid

I'm just absolute rubbish at them and I don't have the patience for all that stealth-based gameplay. The overly philosophical and convoluted (and sometimes ludicrous) story doesn't help either. I didn't finish MGS4 but what I did play was a bit of a slog thanks to all of those lengthy cutscenes.

I do, however, recognize and appreciate the impact the series has had on the history of video games and the significance it holds for many gamers. Also, I'm fond of Solid Snake and a few other characters.

If I were ever to give the series another shot I would probably do it with MGS3: Snake Eater. That was the game that I remember enjoying the most and I might have gotten farther in that one than in any other installment.

Also, I don't like GTA. I just simply just don't find it fun. I kind of liked Chinatown Wars on the DS (I still have it) but I never finished nor did I get very far in it.
#9novelaaPosted 10/26/2013 3:41:22 AM
any popular rts or fighting game (starcraft, street fighter, etc)
#10C__N(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2013 4:18:07 AM
jedinat posted...
C__N posted...

It makes sense for me - I only own DS/3DS/PS2 and I tried all the ones that I had access to, whilst enjoying a couple.

awkwardbomb1 posted...

Is this a hate topic TC? Those examples are your problem.

Are you serious? I kindly asked this forum for opinions because I'm interested in what other people feel. Was I bashing the series? Was I blindly hating the series? No. I was simply stating why I couldn't get into them.

And of course those examples are my problem - it's my opinion. I'm asking for other opinions so we can share our thoughts and have something to talk about.

I don't see the problem of asking other people what aspects of popular games did not work for them and/or did not hold their interest.
---
3DS FC: 3153 3411 7974
Currently playing: RF4, SMT:DeSu1, Radiant Historia