Past the glitz, Pokemon X and Y are not very good

#51zinformantPosted 10/29/2013 3:42:33 PM
Again, unless the Smogon metagame dictates the future of the series (which it shouldn't), there can be relatively 'strong' and 'weak' Pokemon. Neither the Grass type nor the Bug type will ever see the top of the pile. That's okay. I do concede the Fairy-Dragon shenanigans are silly, but that's the developer's reaction to their perceived notion that the Dragon type has spiraled out of control and needed a check. In other words, they're backpedaling on an idea that sounded cool in 199X. And it was. The issue was what I alluded to a post or two ago, which is that Dragon types became commonplace. What the intent behind the Dragon type was has been lost. Dratini was hard to find in the original games for a reason. They had a vision for the Dragon type that did not pan out fifteen years later.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
4227-1617-5338 Safari:Audino/Lillipup/Chansey
#52dolphinmagePosted 10/29/2013 3:53:34 PM
zinformant posted...
Again, unless the Smogon metagame dictates the future of the series (which it shouldn't), there can be relatively 'strong' and 'weak' Pokemon. Neither the Grass type nor the Bug type will ever see the top of the pile. That's okay. I do concede the Fairy-Dragon shenanigans are silly, but that's the developer's reaction to their perceived notion that the Dragon type has spiraled out of control and needed a check. In other words, they're backpedaling on an idea that sounded cool in 199X. And it was. The issue was what I alluded to a post or two ago, which is that Dragon types became commonplace. What the intent behind the Dragon type was has been lost. Dratini was hard to find in the original games for a reason. They had a vision for the Dragon type that did not pan out fifteen years later.

And that's the problem I see with fairy type. If they didn't look ahead enough to see how fairy type could get too overpowered, we can see a repeat of the dragon situation. From what I can tell, dragons were supposed to be end game final bosses of sorts, but there are now too many for their great stats to be a good thing. Right now, fairy Pokémon aren't enough of a threat b/c the ones they added all seem pretty mediocre. But if they start putting in better ones, fairy will end up being the new dragon.

I would've liked to see them revamp the weakness chart to try to balance things out a bit so that all types are pretty much equal. I really doubt that they would do that, and I doubt most people would even want that since it might change things too much.
#53Th3Birdman(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 3:53:52 PM
Super_Chelsea posted...

Horde Battles. Just run away if you don't want to fight them all.

Power of special moves. Special sweepers were very strong in BW metagame this was a much-needed nerf.

Move tutors. Some Pokemon had way too large/powerful movesets. It's unfortunate that PokeBank even exists because at this point we need a fresh start.

Fairies aren't overpowered at all. Hardly any of them are even worth using. They are weak to Poison and Steel because those types see little use in serious play.

Horde battles are a great way to EV train, perhaps the best way ever to do it. In that sense, they are unavoidable nuisances.

Special Sweepers need a nerf? How about Physical sweepers, which are FAR more prominent and dangerous than special sweepers? Close Combat, Brave Bird, Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, Superpower, Outrage, Ice Shard, Sucker Punch, Acrobatics, Waterfall, Rock Slide, U-Turn, EARTHQUAKE, Aqua Jet, Icicle Spear? The list of untouched, overused, absurdly powerful physical moves goes on and on.

Some pokemon have too large movesets? Excuse me for wanting variety. I like when Pokes have huge moovepools, that way other players don't know which set I'm utilizing, rather than cookie cutter mons like Scizor.

Fairies are weak? LOL...

Azumarill
Togekiss
Garevoir
Florges
Xerneas
Granbull
Sylveon
Mr. Mime (and all of his shenanigans)
Freaking MAWILE
Whimsicott (annoying)
Klefki (hella annoying)

and more to come.
---
Pokemon Y 3DS FC: 2509-1739-7339. PM me so I can add you back
#54fire2boxPosted 10/29/2013 4:30:35 PM
Th3Birdman posted...
The fact that I couldn't transfer my painstakingly EV trained (See: Hacked in) teams day one

I fix for you, no?
---
Ivy bridge i5 3570k @3.40GHz | 8 GB DDR3 | single XFX 7870| OCZ 600W Modular. Nvidia, AMD, Intel for life!!
3DS FC: 2208-5221-4039
#55Th3Birdman(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 4:37:52 PM
fire2box posted...
Th3Birdman posted...
The fact that I couldn't transfer my painstakingly EV trained (See: Hacked in) teams day one

I fix for you, no?

I have never hacked, nor accepted any hacked pokemon, ever, in any game.

I have 999.59 hours in Black 2. I breed the pokemon I need and trade for ones I couldn't obtain in the game. Hell, I slaved through hours and hours of the Dream World just to get my Breloom, Politoed and Ninetales.

I don't like that that's what I had to do to obtain some things, but after I've done it, I can at least be proud of my work.

Painstaking is the perfect word for what I've done in Black 2. I'm at a point where there is nothing I need in that game, as now the BP economy is self sustaining, I have all the pokemon I want, and I have a fantastic gene pool from which I can access perfect IVs.

For the record, none of my pokemon have 6 straight perfect 31 IVs. The closest I have is a Venusaur with 4 and a Snorlax with 4. I breed for specifc IVs like Attack and Speed. I know that could hurt me, but it's already too time consuming as it is...
---
#56Master XPosted 10/30/2013 2:16:14 AM
SSJ2__Gohan posted...
@Master X

I do think the game should be more difficult. However, difficulty should be accomplished ONLY by giving trainers more and better Pokemon (that can include strategies and such, of course).

Making healing become more difficult between trainers is fake difficulty. That's the one and only thing I think this game does good when it comes to difficulty: placing more healers. In fact, I even think you should be automatically healed after every battle. Just such a shame they easened up the trainers as well.

And remember: the easier they make healing, the harder they can make your opponent. Would you rather face hard opponents everytime, or face easier opponents because their difficulty had to be toned down because you're going to face more trainers without healing in between? I'd say it's more fun to have fair battles than some gauntlet-style battles.

Look, I get what you mean BUT...there were no need for healers in this game. there was no dungeon long enough, no string of trainers hard enough for a healer to ever be needed, yet they sprinkle them everywhere. And by giving more battle money because of clothes buying, they make it possible to spam buy every healing item, because they never calculated new prices for them, which is irrelevant because barring the odd occasion you never need them because EVERY trainer is ridiculously easy.

You say the easier they make healing the harder they make opponents. That's just plain not true. It was easier than ever.

I'm not really saying to make every area covered in endless hard battles (that would be fake difficulty), but gyms, E4 and Victory Road should be rock hard with trainers as the best of the best.
---
GAMERTAG: Casperstar X "For those of you wondering whether the above made sense, you've just answered your own question."
#57Th3Birdman(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 2:56:48 AM
The issue is that the overworld is much too small.

The routes are tiny, the caves are easily navigated, there is literally no place to surf to and from, and overall it's like there's nothing there.

I've never played a Pokemon game this damn small. I mean, between the low pokemon counts, the small routes and the lack of features, there isn't much to the game at all.

I'm holding out for Z but I don't have hope for that, considering the hard on GF has for Mega Evolutions. I think that's all we're going to get.
---
#58zinformantPosted 10/30/2013 4:03:27 AM
Again, they're streamlining. Folks said Sinnoh's routes were too large. There really isn't a middle ground. I don't have time to do a map analysis right now, but I doubt the dungeons were significantly shorter than what we're used to. I mean, Slowpoke's Well, Cold Storage, Veilstone Warehouse...it's all pretty tiny, all things considered.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
4227-1617-5338 Safari:Audino/Lillipup/Chansey
#59KillingHarderPosted 10/30/2013 4:41:10 AM
Th3Birdman posted...
The issue is that the overworld is much too small.

The routes are tiny, the caves are easily navigated, there is literally no place to surf to and from, and overall it's like there's nothing there.

I've never played a Pokemon game this damn small. I mean, between the low pokemon counts, the small routes and the lack of features, there isn't much to the game at all.

I'm holding out for Z but I don't have hope for that, considering the hard on GF has for Mega Evolutions. I think that's all we're going to get.

I'd much prefer to to not have to use an HM at all than to be forced to use it constantly like Gen 3. Also small Pokemon count? Can't you catch over 450 Pokemon in this game? If you've never played a Pokemon game this small then you've never played Gen I.

Also, what's wrong with Mega Evolutions?
#60SinfullyvannilaPosted 10/30/2013 5:49:49 AM
Honestly, I think we have more than enough Pokemon now that GF can coast on just with Mega Evolutions and alternate evolutions.

Seriously, how many Pokemon does there have to be?
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch