Anyone miss days of every game had codes and Game Genie

#1gatsbyyPosted 11/10/2013 6:43:25 PM
I am playing Monster Shooter. Its a fun game but one of those games that could really use codes like all weapons, all levels etc. Its not a hard game but sometimes having everything available would be nice. I remember games almost always in the 8 and 16 bit era had codes. Also Game Genie which unlocked even more. I am not sure how GG would work with downoaded games but still. Anyone else miss them? Or recall Game Genie?
#2jmtstanPosted 11/10/2013 7:00:51 PM
yeah I miss those days... I wish every developer follow Rockstar, they made games and put cheat codes in it.
---
Android phones + Vita = happy face
PSN: jmtstan79
#3furygodsPosted 11/10/2013 7:03:57 PM
No, I prefer paying money for DLC that unlocks stuff without having to do the audacious task of unlocking via gameplay myself.
---
The man who dies thus poor dies disgraced.
#4rajin_donutsPosted 11/10/2013 7:08:51 PM
It would be really great if the VC NES games would allow this option. It would also be great if there were more VC NES games on the 3DS.
#5ErukiaPosted 11/10/2013 7:17:40 PM
I used to love Game Genie. My favorite thing was making Princess Toadstool float permanently in Super Mario Bros. 2. The only downside was that, as a kid, I took all the challenge away for myself.
Of course, as it turns out, I'm just terrible at platforming games either way. But still...

Anyway, I wouldn't want the option to use codes on games nowadays. I'm pretty happy that there's no option for that on the 3DS.
---
I'm a girl, dood.
It could be worse. I could be a Prinny.
#61upsuperPosted 11/10/2013 7:26:01 PM
I loved the Skywalker Game Genie code for SMB3.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
Official Frost Five of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#7ObtuseAnginaPosted 11/10/2013 7:43:50 PM
fun fact, Nintendo was against the Game Genie, so far as to they filed a lawsuit which forced SNES Game Genies to only be produced in Canada for some time, while Sega embraced and licensed the Game Genie for the Genesis and Game Gear.
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/qtiKuN7.png
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,...Husky Unit, covering the base since 1997.
#8Bass_X0Posted 11/10/2013 11:59:37 PM
Had some good times with Game Genie and Action Replay as a kid.

Hacking into games now and screwing them up just to see what happens is now only reserved for other people.
---
"History always favors the victor at the expense of the truth." ~ Rook
#9gatsbyy(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 6:44:04 AM
furygods posted...
No, I prefer paying money for DLC that unlocks stuff without having to do the audacious task of unlocking via gameplay myself.

Most codes were tied with user name like HLPME infinite live, WPNSAL would give all weapons. Those days seem over.
#10Linkz1Posted 11/11/2013 7:18:15 AM
Yes. Too bad the 3DS and the Wii U in America can't be hacked like the DSi and the Wii. There's a cheat device for the 3DS games, but only in Europe. Is not compatible with American games. I hate grinding for experience levels like Mario & Luigi, Tales from the Abyss, etc. It takes too much time.