How's the Prof. Layton series?

#1Megathorn22Posted 11/11/2013 6:30:33 AM
Never played it before, but with the final installment close it now has my attention.

What do you all think about these games?
---
People argue about terrible fan bases, but only one fan base deserves the Worst Of trophy: Chicago Bears.
#2BeanBeanKingdomPosted 11/11/2013 6:32:30 AM
It's my favorite original franchise on DS/3DS. It's always charming in a way no other game captures, and the stories invest me so much I'm regularly a sobbing wreck by the end. :P
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#3nickyd123Posted 11/11/2013 7:18:41 AM
A great original series for the DS and 3DS. The stories are surprisingly well thought out and gripping, with Unwound Future being the best by far.

The puzzles are somewhat creative and interesting, but throughout the series you will notice a decent amount of puzzles are rehashed and almost reused. The challenge of puzzles varies a good amount, with a good amount being easy while others require a good amount of thought.

I'd say try out the first one (Curious Village) and see if you enjoy it. I think it can be found for a decent price.
---
3DS FC: 2664-2279-5250 --- Gamertag: Nickizzles
Currently Playing: Pokemon X, GTA V, TF2
#4Bahamut_10thPosted 11/11/2013 7:28:33 AM
The difficulty of the puzzles is very dependant on the player. Since they all involve logic and not everyone will have made an habit of exercising theirs prior to getting the games.
---
What a horrible night to have a grock raid.
#5Ace-of-ClubsPosted 11/11/2013 7:41:45 AM
If you like visual novels, brain teasers, or mysteries, you'll be like me and love the series. If you don't like any of those things...what's wrong with you?! (Kidding.)

But yeah, I love the games, and Azran Legacy can't come out here in America soon enough. I know someone will complain about my saying this because it often doesn't work out this way, but...lucky Europeans, getting this game now. >_>
---
The Artist Formerly Known As Mottman.
#6mabber_IIIPosted 11/11/2013 8:19:34 AM
I only played one, the unwound future, and it wasn't every good

maybe the other ones are better

I prefer puzzle agent, you guys should check that series out
#7Megathorn22(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 9:19:41 AM
I happen to really enjoy puzzle games, so I think I'll try this one out. Including the newest, how many games are there and can I get a list of the order to play them in(since they're not numbered). Thanks, everyone!
---
People argue about terrible fan bases, but only one fan base deserves the Worst Of trophy: Chicago Bears.
#8BeanBeanKingdomPosted 11/11/2013 9:27:58 AM
This is the release order, which is how I recommend you to play them (regional differences in titles are noted):

Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (UK)/the Diabolical Box (US)
Professor Layton and the Lost Future (UK)/the Unwound Future (US)
Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call (UK)/the Last Specter (US)
Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva (animated movie, watch on youtube if you don't feel like buying)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

This is the chronological order the series follows (I'm not using both variations of titles this time):

Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call
Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
Professor Layton and the Lost Future
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#9Megathorn22(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2013 9:32:24 AM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
This is the release order, which is how I recommend you to play them (regional differences in titles are noted):

Professor Layton and Pandora's Box (UK)/the Diabolical Box (US)
Professor Layton and the Lost Future (UK)/the Unwound Future (US)
Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call (UK)/the Last Specter (US)
Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva (animated movie, watch on youtube if you don't feel like buying)

This is the chronological order the series follows (I'm not using both variations of titles this time):

Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call
Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva
Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
Professor Layton and the Lost Future

Wow! Thanks, Bean! I'll take up your suggestion and play them in the order they were released.
---