will the 3DS earn its place beside the SNES and PS2?

#1Hector_SassPosted 11/14/2013 5:26:14 AM
It's slowly becoming the best system of this era, I would only compare it to the DS in terms of popularity and quality games in it's short life time.
---
Only two or three shots, I'ma show you how to turn it up another notch
http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2013/09/30/TalibNologo.gif
#2GeekyDadPosted 11/14/2013 5:31:12 AM(edited)
You're either delusional or sorely misinformed. The DS, yes. Absolutely deserving of sitting alongside PS2 and SNES on those terms. 3DS? Not even close. It's got good games, good features, and a decent future, I believe, but no, not anywhere in the league of those other systems. I doubt it will be at the end of its cycle.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"
#3SuperDogqHDPosted 11/14/2013 5:32:24 AM
GeekyDad posted...
You're either delusional or sorely misinformed. The DS, yes. Absolutely deserving of sitting alongside PS2 and SNES on those terms. 3DS? Not even close. It's got good games, good features, and a decent future, I believe, but no, not anywhere in the league of those other systems. I doubt it will be at the end of its cycle.
#4UncleGrubbyPosted 11/14/2013 6:40:52 AM
Ok, I'll drop 2 cents.

The first year was bad, just like the DS. When it started getting momentum and more refined on the system level I took notice. When XL release I was like "Soon..." Then, knowing Animal Crossing was coming in summer, I grabbed an XL in February. Then, post Fire Emblem, things started rolling out consistently. While there are few to no 3DS-only franchises, it does now boast the following (from a subjective point of view):

The best Fire Emblem
The best Animal Crossing
The best Pokemon
The best mainline Shin Megami Tensei
The best Professor Layton
The best Phoenix Wright
The best Etrian Odyssey
The best version of Star Fox 64
The best version of Ocarina of Time
One of the best 3D Marios
One of the best Mario Karts
One of the best Resident Evils in the last 10 years
Another excellent Mario & Luigi RPG
A solid port of a fantastic Donkey Kong Country

And possibly one of the best Zelda games ever (to be determined but looking good!)

There are more great experiences, of course, like Pushmo and Crashmo, both fantastic puzzle titles. Quite a few eshop gems with more on the way. The system-level features like Streetpass, Play Coins and the MiiPlaza games really deliver a unique and personal user relationship with the system.

And soon we will have the first portable Smash Bros, which looks lovely, as well as what I hope is a great Mario Golf. New Kirby and Yoshi titles, too. Bravely Default seems set to deliver the Final Fantasy game I've wanted since I beat FF IX back 2000.

Time will tell if Nintendo & Friends can keep up the momentum through the rest of the 3DS's life, but I'll say this: If you asked me this time last year if you should get a 3DS I'd have said, "eh... maybe? Depends...probably not" Ask me today and I would grab you by your shirt collar and scream, "WHY DON'T YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE!? GO! GET IT!"

As someone who has owned every Nintendo machine save the Wii U, I can honestly say it's right up there with SNES and DS in my book, but I would rather play 3DS than either of those two based purely on franchise and user-experience refinement.

And about that Wii U... with Mario 3D World around the corner, it's status has just updated to "Soon..."
#5NathanisDrakePosted 11/14/2013 6:50:46 AM
UncleGrubby posted...
As someone who has owned every Nintendo machine save the Wii U, I can honestly say it's right up there with SNES and DS in my book, but I would rather play 3DS than either of those two based purely on franchise and user-experience refinement.

I concur.
---
"My pin number is 0001, because I'm number 1!"
- Manfred Von Karma // 3DS FC: 3738-0791-8805
#6Baha05Posted 11/14/2013 6:52:58 AM
I believe it'll be one of the better systems. Might not hit PS2/DS level sales but it'll get up there in the 100 millions, more so if Nintendo improves Online and cross buying VC.
---
"the problem is you won't know that when the year is up. so you can't exactly cancel it until it's too late." Someone without a calender
#7forest_wandererPosted 11/14/2013 9:39:23 PM
Considering it's on par with the original DS, and in terms of games at this point, I'd def be willing to bet it could work its way up to God Tier with the DS, PS2, and SNES.
---
Our pizza could kick your pizza's ass: http://www.poorcouplesfoodguide.com
3DS: 1934 - 0658 - 7543
#8mabber_IIIPosted 11/14/2013 9:44:11 PM
no, it's taking the n64's place as my favorite console
#9GoldenJoe24Posted 11/14/2013 9:44:37 PM
Definitely. I'd say it's ahead of the DS for this point in its lifecycle, and the original DS even edges out the SNES IMO.
#10SMASHKING84Posted 11/14/2013 9:50:14 PM
In order for it to pass snes they need to remake ffvi for ps2 put a 3d gta game on 3ds.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC8ceXRcUhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp39gxabg_s