Does the lack of VC releases cause Piracy?

#1AaronPHughesPosted 11/19/2013 11:29:34 AM
I'm curious what you guys think about the trickle of VC games we have received recently and if you feel that it causes people who would otherwise pay money for a GBA game to instead download the ROM or buy a card in order to play it.

discuss
---
Systems Owned - 2600, 5200, NES, NES2, Gameboy, SNES, Virtual Boy, Gameboy Color, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, GBA, DS, DSLite, GBM, Wii, 360, 3DS, Wii U
#2Nightstar1994Posted 11/19/2013 11:30:19 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3AnclationPosted 11/19/2013 11:32:54 AM
I'd assume so. And quite frankly, when you have Game Freak outright ruling out putting the Gen 1 Pokemon games on eShop, they have no right to complain about people playing pirated versions.
---
We Endorse The Creation of Majora's Mask 3D:
http://www.facebook.com/OperationMoonfall
#4Argh4430Posted 11/19/2013 11:46:55 AM
Software piracy is that low-hanging fruit you were told not to eat, but this time, no one would know you ate one unless you go around saying you did. And instead of just a tree, it's just an orchard with no signs (and the occasional rotten fruit).

I doubt more VC releases would convince people to stop software pirating, as nothing beats being free, however illegal it is.
---
3DS FC: 3695-1354-4936
Pokemon X/Y Friend Safari: Growlithe, Pyroar, and Braixen
#5keyblader1985Posted 11/19/2013 11:51:28 AM
I'm sure the whole time people were using emulators before the Wii, everyone was thinking, "where the hell is our Virtual Console? You brought this on yourselves."
---
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/keyblader1985/keyblader.jpg
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#6n00bsaib0tPosted 11/19/2013 11:55:47 AM
Anclation posted...
I'd assume so. And quite frankly, when you have Game Freak outright ruling out putting the Gen 1 Pokemon games on eShop, they have no right to complain about people playing pirated versions.

That's ridiculous. That's like saying if I don't want to sell my car I have no right to complain if someone steals it.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#7TaaronPosted 11/19/2013 12:00:54 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Anclation posted...

That's ridiculous. That's like saying if I don't want to sell my car I have no right to complain if someone steals it.

That not the same thing though. Would have to be someone "stole" your car by making a copy of it since you would still have access to the original.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#8hyper kobun dashPosted 11/19/2013 12:01:21 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Anclation posted...

I lol'd.
---
"If the PS3 is Casablanca and the 360 is The Godfather, the wii would be Pluto Nash." - StilI_Kirbyfan9
#9MMaestroPosted 11/19/2013 12:07:48 PM
I don't have hard numbers, but generally speaking; torrent sites/piracy sites and second hand sales sites (ie. eBay) report a drop off in downloads/sales whenever theres an official re-release/digital sale.

That said, the argument that lack of VC cause piracy is a backwards assumption. Even if every game was re-released either via VC or remake or XBox Live or PSN, piracy would still exist simply because some people can't afford it.

Ignore anyone who says "video games is a luxury, not a necessity". People used to say the same thing about education for Africans back in the '90s ("they need food, not reading skills!") and now we wonder why African education today is horribly corrupt and ineffective.
#10BuretsuPosted 11/19/2013 12:08:03 PM
The ability to pirate games causes piracy.
---
9/17/2013: A dark day in history. SEGA Sammy acquires Index.
RIP: Atlus games ever leaving Japan