Do people not play single player games anymore?

#1DestinyKnotPosted 11/23/2013 9:42:20 PM
All people seem to care about these days is online gaming, do you guys not play a game for the single player experience anymore, or does a game have to have online functionality for you to even consider buying it?

Online gaming is seriously tainting video games, and ruining franchises that were once good.
#2Rick Rack RooPosted 11/23/2013 9:44:22 PM
I don't have the best internet connection and people I know don't really play video games so single player is the most important factor for me.
---
Vanee Par Sir!
#3furygodsPosted 11/23/2013 9:47:59 PM
I play games for the single player...

Such as:

Rune Factory 4.
Senran Kagura Burst.
Shin Megami Tensei IV.
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D.
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan.
Fire Emblem Awakening.
Liberation Maiden.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Singleplayer is my primary source of entertainment...

Oh on a unrelated note, which is a better game in general that fits a more modern player, Shin Megami Tensei IV or SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked?
---
The man who dies thus poor dies disgraced.
#4yoshirulezzzPosted 11/23/2013 9:49:00 PM
Agreed. People are so blinded by the fact that Mario party 3DS doesn't have online, they think it's automatically horrible
---
ADD my Pokemon Y FC: 3668-8145-2937 looking for someone with Pokemon X to trade starters,spares,exclusives,etc.
#5PsychoWolfXPosted 11/23/2013 10:03:50 PM
Nope. I do play online pretty often, but I'd say at least 70% of my gaming time is spent on single player or local split screen.
#6Flamer_BluePosted 11/23/2013 10:05:44 PM
I have been playing single player games with some online coop elements (Pokemon Y)

So far I have

Fire Emblem Awakening
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy
Pokemon Y
The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds
---
PSN: Malakius
#7ErukiaPosted 11/23/2013 10:06:12 PM
I can't stand online play. I don't exactly have very good social skills (I'm autistic), so the social components of games stress me out. I prefer to play alone.
---
I'm a girl, dood.
It could be worse. I could be a Prinny.
#8DestinyKnot(Topic Creator)Posted 11/23/2013 10:35:54 PM(edited)
Lol, yeah. Hearing the negative feedback for the new Mario Party game was my inspiration for the topic.

I can't stand online play either, much too stressful for me, especially co-op. I constantly stress over ****ing things up and letting my co-op partner down. I'm not in the right mental state for these types of games...lol!

Aaand @ furygods: I vote SMT IV =]

Edit: Also, I apologize if the last part of my original post sounded a bit dramatic. I just feel some games tack on online play for the sake of it being there..just feels forced, you know? I realize it's not always the main focus for most games.
#9TinyTim123Posted 11/23/2013 10:28:02 PM
I like playing multiplayer with friends, but I don't like playing online multiplayer. For example, Borderlands 2 on the 360, my TV and system were left at my brother's house so that we could play together on our own TVs. I don't want to play fighting games with a bunch of random strangers online (okay sometimes I do) but much rather have a bunch of people sit around on a couch and play.
My brother and I each have a Vita, but we share one PSN account. We can't be online together, but we can play Soul Sacrifice or Ragnarok Odyssey ad hoc together just fine.

That and I do play a whole lot of single player stuff, because it's fun and I don't have to arrange a schedule with others.

That may be why I am just not into games like Halo, Gears of War (I played the first, realy enjoyed the campaign) Call of Duty, since the focus is far more on online multiplayer. I miss the shooty games like Golden Eye or TimeSplitters, games that were fun, had a decent single player experience.

Still, I think a lot of people do want online. Just because we don't doesn't mean it's the norm.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#10crazyray47Posted 11/23/2013 10:35:34 PM
You realize you asked this question on the 3DS board... Nintendo is known for single player.