which monster-collecting RPG to get: SMT IV or Pokemon X?

#1The_Pig_HostagePosted 12/14/2013 4:53:28 PM
I haven't played Pokemon since Red/Blue and my only familiarity with SMT is the Persona series
---
Rosalina is my waifu.
#2wentzelotPosted 12/14/2013 4:58:34 PM
smt 4 is good but a disappointment . pokemon x is great and perfect for a newcomer to the series
#3The_Pig_Hostage(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2013 5:10:23 PM
wentzelot posted...
smt 4 is good but a disappointment . pokemon x is great and perfect for a newcomer to the series

a disappointment how? was it just different than what hardcore fans expected? cause that wouldn't bother me as a newcomer
---
Rosalina is my waifu.
#4ZendaikPosted 12/14/2013 5:15:04 PM
SMT IV isn't a disappointment. It gets too easy later on IMO but other than that it's top notch. Definitely get it.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
PSN ID: KirolosF
#5TheLastBladePosted 12/14/2013 5:17:20 PM
Pokemon X/Y has actual towns and npcs (even though they have nothing interesting to say). Plus, It's not a visual novel masquerading as an overworld.

Shin Megami Tensei IV has a better story and characters (which doesn't say much for either of them, but it edges out Pokemon X/Y due to how the story in that game is).

The gameplay is pretty much of a preference thing. One has tweaked mechanics, but it's keeping the roots of the series. The other can be challenging, but stupidly unfair due to not having any basic form of defense.
#6ThatSageGuyPosted 12/14/2013 5:24:58 PM
I'm new to the SMT series, I played 4 when it released and to put it bluntly, I didn't like it. I found the characters and story boring, and the combat is very easy.

Combat goes like this, does the enemy have a weakness? Can you take advantage of that weakness? You will end the fight before the enemy even gets a turn. That is excluding bosses, but they don't last long either. And at least 95% of enemies have a weakness.

I haven't played the latest pokemon, but I'm sure I would enjoy that more than smt4.
---
It's free to play after you buy it. That's F2P genius. ~ Brutal_Felix
FC: 5043-1666-5680 ACNL Town: Etria.
#7TheLastBladePosted 12/14/2013 5:27:33 PM
ThatSageGuy posted...
I'm new to the SMT series, I played 4 when it released and to put it bluntly, I didn't like it. I found the characters and story boring, and the combat is very easy.

Combat goes like this, does the enemy have a weakness? Can you take advantage of that weakness? You will end the fight before the enemy even gets a turn. That is excluding bosses, but they don't last long either. And at least 95% of enemies have a weakness.

I haven't played the latest pokemon, but I'm sure I would enjoy that more than smt4.

I enjoyed Pokemon X more than Shin Megami Tensei IV to be honest. Yeah X/Y's story is crap, but it had more stuff to do than a Visual Novel.
#8Gandalf the IstariPosted 12/14/2013 5:28:41 PM
Only one of these is an rpg imo so I'm going SMTIV.
---
PSN: ck_22_c GT: ckc22
NA 3DS: 0533 - 4509 - 1310
#9ZendaikPosted 12/14/2013 5:30:45 PM
TheLastBlade posted...
ThatSageGuy posted...

I enjoyed Pokemon X more than Shin Megami Tensei IV to be honest. Yeah X/Y's story is crap, but it had more stuff to do than a Visual Novel.

Did you only play like a few hours of SMT IV? It isn't a visual novel.

ThatSageGuy posted...

The weakness thing is present in nearly all SMT games. You should be aiming to clear enemies as fast as possible.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
PSN ID: KirolosF
#10TheLastBladePosted 12/14/2013 5:40:27 PM
Zendaik posted...
TheLastBlade posted...
ThatSageGuy posted...

Did you only play like a few hours of SMT IV? It isn't a visual novel.

I kinda see it as one. You can't really talk to people, you can't explore towns, the only thing you can explore is dungeons. And Tokyo's poor excuse of exploring.