which monster-collecting RPG to get: SMT IV or Pokemon X?

#71LightHawKnightPosted 12/14/2013 11:54:05 PM
Are you planning on doing anything online in Pokemon? If you are not, the game is rather lacking. The story is pretty meh, there is literally no post game at all, so you wont have that much to do unless you love to breed and fight other people.

SMTIV on the other hand has paths and different endings and a lot of stuff to get and unlock and is actually challenging. Pretty damn hard early on, but does get a lot easier as you get better demons and abilities. Though NG+ does have a harder difficulty if you choose so, which makes going for the other paths a lot more fun.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#72The_Pig_Hostage(Topic Creator)Posted 12/15/2013 3:09:29 AM
this thread has only made me more indecisive (probably because most of it has been negative things about each game, rather than any positives)
---
Rosalina is my waifu.
#73RogueStatus28Posted 12/15/2013 3:10:51 AM
Someone doesn't consider Pokemon X/Y an RPG, why?
#74wentzelotPosted 12/15/2013 3:36:04 AM
Gtuansdiamm posted...
wentzelot posted...
smt 4 is good but a disappointment . pokemon x is great and perfect for a newcomer to the series

pokemon is terrible for newcomers
the sheer amount of pokemon is overwhelming
sometimes you can't even guess what a pokemon's type is
ex. carbink looks like an ice type to me

also learning what is super effective against certain types and what isn't is also kinda a pain
and sometimes you can't even guess
ex. fairy types are super effective against dragon

another confusing thing would be electricity is not very effective against grass but grass does normal damage to electricity

nice job excluding the re- implementation of a good exp share so no grinding is needed and you are encouraged to experiment with teams and pokemon

nice job excluding easy gyms so not knowing types doesn't punish you severely and gives you a chance to learn

nice job excluding major breeding improvements, as well as a great online trading and battle system for getting into competitive play much easier

pokemon x/y is the best place to start for a new comer and simultaneously is best for competitors and gurus as well thanks to balance and breeding tweaks
#75adampeltzPosted 12/15/2013 4:08:52 AM
TC, I was in your boat. I never played SMT games, and I haven't played Pokemon since Blue on GBC.

I got them both. And......

SMT IV was fascinating to me. It's not a perfect game, but it has soul and the art direction is distinct. I love the soundtrack, and the monster designs are like nothing I've ever seen in videogames. It's a dungeon crawler in the best possible way, and it's the first JRPG I've enjoyed in many, many years. (Then again, I'm not big on the JRPG genre in general).

Pokemon X stinks in comparison because the single player is way too easy and it takes forever to get a decent team together for multiplayer. I gave up on it and realized the series really hasn't changed much since Blue... In fact, most of its charm is gone now. There's depth there in balancing your team, but it's lacking the soul of a great and unique experience that is SMT IV... especially the single player aspect. The story is less than one dimensional, and insultingly simple. Yes, it was so simple, it actually insulted me... (and this is a Nintendo fanboy talking who likes every Zelda game, and who doesn't think stories matter in games... still... it's that bad). Plus the framerate of the game is downright atrocious, and there's no 3D effect outside 1v1 battles.
---
XBL Gamertag: Peltz | Wii U NNID: Peltz-0
3DS Friend code: 1161-0129-0691 | PSN ID: Peltz-0
#76NathanisDrakePosted 12/15/2013 4:27:57 AM
As someone who absolutely adores the new Pokemon games, and spent nearly 300 hours on it alone ever since its release... I would say get SMT IV first, and then wait for an inevitable enhanced version of X or Y. Don't get me wrong, Pokemon X/Y is indeed a great game, but if you're that hesitant on getting it in the first place, then you're better off just waiting for a superior version altogether.

But then again, there's always the option of getting both. ;)
---
"My pin number is 0001, because I'm number 1!"
- Manfred Von Karma // 3DS FC: 3738-0791-8805
#77millimaynePosted 12/15/2013 6:10:58 AM
It took me a while to start enjoying SMT IV, but lately it's gotten really good. It's a trudge through mud for a while, but things do settle down a bit and the combination of the good story and the battle system make the game kinda awesome.
---
"It's official, you SU-" *bam!* The last words of Shao Khan before getting Liu Kang'd
#78LeanaunfurledPosted 12/15/2013 6:45:38 AM
Can't go wrong either way, really. SMTIV is more focused on story than Pokemon is, has...interesting demons, better music, and more challenge. Then again with Pokemon I think every single game has more challenge.

Pokemon X/Y is my favorite Pokemon main game to date, and I've played since Red. The Player Search System is a godsend and the new gen pokemon are really awesome, and there's an amazing mix of old pokemon you can get for your team, especially more coming soon once the Bank opens. Though if you're wanting challenge with Pokemon that comes end-game when you do competitive play with others, and that opens up boring annoyances such as breeding. I tried getting into it and was working on IVs for several hours and I just..got really bored. It's a drag.
---
Currently Playing: Bravely Default, Monster Hunter 4
3DS FC: 2707-2560-1312 JPN FC 1907-9095-4490
#79Megaman OmegaPosted 12/15/2013 3:44:30 PM
Bahamut_10th posted...
Every Pokemon has 1~2 weakness ormore.

Tynamo/Eelektrik/Eelektross say hi
---
LOL at all the whiners and trolls. They know Vita tv and new model will kill all competition. Festering wounds for the Nintendrones by the gallons. - karissa1
#80dolphinmagePosted 12/15/2013 4:41:26 PM
The_Pig_Hostage posted...
this thread has only made me more indecisive (probably because most of it has been negative things about each game, rather than any positives)

That's b/c both games are presented in such a way that you may either really like them or find them rather unimpressive. I think this topic alone should show you that asking which one is better for you is probably an exercise in futility. Your best bet would be to take a look at a few reviews for each game and see which one appeals to you the most rather than asking people to choose between the two ,since there will be very obvious biases coloring the viewpoints. At least in reviews you can get a rundown of what to expect, and you can always look at a high scored review and a low scored review to get a pretty clear idea of what the positives and negatives are. There are even plenty of Gamefaqs reader reviews here to check if you don't like professional reviews.