I never played a Fire Emblem Title... question

#1HaganPosted 12/27/2013 8:18:02 AM
My mom got me a 3DS/A Link Between Worlds bundle for Christmas (Loving a Link Between Worlds by the way, amazing game so far), but I was want to pick up some more titles.

I was thinking:

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Super Mario 3D World

and possibly Fire Emblem Awakening and Bravely Default

I've never played Fire Emblem before, does it play like Ogre Battle or Final Fantasy Tactics, or it some adventure RPG?

Also was thinking about trying Bravely Default, but have no idea what it is about, if anyone has a great gameplay vid, please share.

Thanks in advance! Haven't played handhelds in years but I heard the 3ds is great, and I am liking it so far.
---
XBL GT= illidan z
PSN = HaganJR
#2toadiemanPosted 12/27/2013 8:20:11 AM
It's a strategy rpg like final fantasy tactics and tactics ogre but not near as good.
---
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/
#3fortyminerninerPosted 12/27/2013 8:20:31 AM
it is similar to orge battle and tactics. not totally of course, but still i think that if you like those games you will like awakening
#4fortyminerninerPosted 12/27/2013 8:21:01 AM
toadieman posted...
It's a strategy rpg like final fantasy tactics and tactics ogre but not near as good.

i say it is just as good
#5TGAkumaPosted 12/27/2013 8:26:41 AM
I don't know why people are saying it's like FFT or Tactics Ogre. It's really not. FFT and TO would be more like RPG strategy games. Fire Emblem is more Strategy RPG. Meaning, Fire Emblem is more focused on strategy. FFT and TO are more focused on building your team. Really, there's not much strategy in FFT and TO. All of them are still great though.

Another game similar to Fire Emblem would be Advanced wars but honestly I didn't really like Advanced wars that much. Way to strategy based for me. Disposable units and stuff like that. I like Fire Emblem WAY more than Advance wars because it's got the strategy gameplay but you actually have characters that you will have to protect and not just send them off to die.
#6BeanBeanKingdomPosted 12/27/2013 8:31:33 AM
This is all you need to see about Bravely Default: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN7G0SxTaI4

Now get hyped.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#7toadiemanPosted 12/27/2013 8:32:36 AM
TGAkuma posted...
I don't know why people are saying it's like FFT or Tactics Ogre. It's really not. FFT and TO would be more like RPG strategy games. Fire Emblem is more Strategy RPG. Meaning, Fire Emblem is more focused on strategy. FFT and TO are more focused on building your team. Really, there's not much strategy in FFT and TO. All of them are still great though.

Another game similar to Fire Emblem would be Advanced wars but honestly I didn't really like Advanced wars that much. Way to strategy based for me. Disposable units and stuff like that. I like Fire Emblem WAY more than Advance wars because it's got the strategy gameplay but you actually have characters that you will have to protect and not just send them off to die.

Now we're just making up genre?

What strategy? The strategy of letting Frederick take all the hits?
---
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/
#8blunderminePosted 12/27/2013 8:42:16 AM
toadieman posted...
TGAkuma posted...

I didn't use Frederick
#9wentzelotPosted 12/27/2013 8:50:19 AM
toadieman posted...
TGAkuma posted...

not the best strategy but a strategy, yes. there are also many other more viable strategies that allow the rest of your team to actually gain some levels though and be more formidable later on. if you only used frederick you were doing it wrong and making the game far harder than necessary or playing on normal :P
#10TGAkumaPosted 12/27/2013 9:07:02 AM(edited)
toadieman posted...
TGAkuma posted...

You do know that Frederick sucks right? My stahl at level 7 had close to Frederick's stats and he's already promoted from the start.

Also how am I making up a genre? I explained the differences between FFT/TO and FE. There really isn't any stategy in FFT/TO in battle. Most of your preperation is outside of battle and getting the right skills. In FE, if you actually want to level up characters other than Frederick, you're gonna have to use a little strategy. Also, FE actually has harder difficulties. FFT/TO don't.