Why do you cheat?

#41Zacks_FairPosted 1/6/2014 10:21:46 AM
I miss game sharking my game boy games. Swapping all of the enemy sprites for that one sweeping grandma in links awakening was hilarious
---
3DS FC 3566-1544-7318 PM me if you add me!
#42kidwgmPosted 1/6/2014 11:06:56 AM
keyblader1985 posted...
Link3 posted...
But honestly, if it's a single player game, who cares?

You'd be surprised. I've seen several people flip out demonizing other people for cheating in single-player.

The people that get their panties in a twist about other people cheating in a SP game are the worst kind of gamer. They need to come off that pedestal and realize if it doesn't affect them then STFU.
---
Currently Playing: Mario & Luigi DT, Need for Speed Rivals and ACNL FC: 4811-7436-8881
(Owner: gaming PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, Xbox One)
#43TaaronPosted 1/6/2014 11:53:34 AM
Reasons I cheat or would cheat

1) To mess around and just play outside the rules can be amusing.
2) Time concerns. Some games can go slow for one reason or another to the point where you lose enjoyment, cheats to speed up the process to get to what you wanna play to raise the enjoyment. Pokemon egg breeding is a good example.
3) When worse comes to worse, on games that are hard or frustrating to the point where I don't want to play anymore, if cheating is available then I may go that route just to finish the game. Often this mixes in with the second point where I don't want to spend the time redoing the battle or event 20+ times just to beat it. Lunar for the DS comes to mind on this one, game you can only earn either EXP or items to sell in battle (not both). This forces grinding since you can't adequately gain money and exp through normal gameplay. Furthermore items break in the damn game so after spending time getting money for a weapon to have it break 5 battles later is the point where I call it a quits or cheat.

Reasons why I am sometimes against cheating
1) Cheating is fine on solo player experience, but the moment it is brought online is the moment it crosses the line.
2) If the option is there, it can be a bit too easy to jump into it and ruin the experience, though I rarely did this myself.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#44TaaronPosted 1/6/2014 12:23:07 PM
kabutokouji posted...
Link3 posted...
kabutokouji posted...
Link3 posted...
I haven't cheated to win in a game since elementary school. Just to have fun and mess around. Or maybe speed up some grinding.

But honestly, if it's a single player game, who cares? Multiplayer is obviously very different, though.

---

that's just a sorry excuse, I have never cheated on a videogame and have had fun, where is the fun in a game that you always win, there is np excuse for cheating, cant do it the right way? then that game is not for you, deal with it, get better or choose a different game.

I can't tell if you're a joke account or just the most irrationally angry person on the planet.

---

im not angry, me and my wife are actually having the time of our lives reading how people are so sad that need to cheat against a computer game. I see my kids trying anything like that and the wii Us are going to the trash, and their butts will be red for months, if a kid learns that is ok to cheat, will be a lazy excuse for an adult in his/her life, and womnt be able to accomplish anything on their own in their lives, I got to teach my kids to be something in life, or what else are parents for?

I have to disagree with you their on kids being a lazy excuse for an adult if the learn how to cheat. Granted if someone does nothing but cheat all the time I would agree with you, but in moderation a little cheating here and there can help with out of the box thinking and give a broader view on things. Of course you would still need to guide them on what is okay and what is not, though sounds like you went the everything is bad directions. At least that is my thoughts on the matter.

As for people being sad to cheat in a game, I have to disagree with that as ultimately the point of playing video games is to enjoy yourself, if you find cheating to enhance the experience then I find it perfectly fine. As long as your cheating doesn't come at the expense of others (multiplayer games) then I have no problems against it.

Of course then the question is what is considered cheating in a game as well? Obviously outside programs that modify the gameplay mechanics through codes and mods can be considered cheating. What about in game codes, such as the Konami Code, is that cheating? Other than being hidden, how is it different than setting game configuration options since it is available in game? Are changing the game options cheating since you can make a game easier or harder? Is looking up a faqs or message boards considered cheating since you are gathering information on completing a game outside of your own experience? In many cases outside information can be greater than any cheat code you can enter. Depending on how you look at it, answer can be yes to all of the above or no to all of the above.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#45keyblader1985Posted 1/6/2014 5:51:57 PM
I do find it odd that he felt the need to go out of his way to mention that he had a wife & kids in Okinawa who immensely enjoyed our posts.
---
http://imgur.com/EkBql5x.jpg
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#46Karnage4208238Posted 1/6/2014 6:19:21 PM
i cheat to make my games more fun for me and to do things i cant normally do without them and to make what i think a real new game plus should be for my rpgs after i beat them
---
The Only Goal In Life Is Death
S'up Im Karnage The Ultimate Cheater I Love to Cheat If You Don't Like It It's Your Problem Not Mine
#47Gogo726Posted 1/6/2014 8:12:07 PM
keyblader1985 posted...
I do find it odd that he felt the need to go out of his way to mention that he had a wife & kids in Okinawa who immensely enjoyed our posts.

That guy can post all he wants, but he'll never be able to force me to not cheat. In fact, I'm going to cheat even more on games just to make him mad.
---
Jackass Thompson doesn't approve of Wii Music. He's on a crusade to put an end to sax and violins in games
#48digitalstarryPosted 1/7/2014 1:48:35 AM
I cheat in Pokemon X/Y because go ahead and tell me what other way I can get shinies of my favorites without wasting hundreds of hours. Also hacking in 6IV dittos for pokebank because breeding is really too tedious.
---
3DS FC: 0404-6897-6322
Pokemon IGN: Summer
#49Darth_KamcioPosted 1/7/2014 2:02:14 AM
Cheat codes should:

1) Be present only in single-player games or the single-player parts of them.
2) Let you take control over many aspects of the game, such as npc and item spawning, stats editing, perhaps some gravity cheats.
3) having been done well, bring new life to old games.

Games like Jedi Academy and Gothic are great examples (IMO) of games with cheats done right.
---
I love dragons!
3DS FC: 3625-8721-3670; pokemon name: Kamil