why does it seem like all the GREAT games are from Japan?

#31LordrvPosted 2/1/2014 4:18:04 AM
kabutokouji posted...
mewmew42 posted...
Because sushi taste good and healthy

Yet the wasabi is very hot it makes game developers brain go haywire so they can get creative

wasabi to us is like Mayo for the white people, they put it on everything.

Japan puts mayo on everything, even pizza...
#32LordrvPosted 2/1/2014 4:19:16 AM
Link3 posted...
DreTam2000 posted...
ALinkAlone posted...
"Japan practically invented video games. "

That person's a young'un!
I'm 29-years-old. I grew up with a Sega Genesis.

OdaNobuna posted...
Because Japanese games are the best.
Precisely.

I'd love to see this list of allegedly American-made greats that predate the 21st Century. By all means, what is your list of American-made games for the NES, SNES, Genesis, GBC,PS1, GBA, or any of the other classics from before the year 2000?

You realize PCs exist, right?

---

Western console games before the XBOX = complete & utter trash.
Western PC games = mostly meh, besides Blizzard.
#33LordrvPosted 2/1/2014 4:21:15 AM
UponADarkThorne posted...
DreTam2000 posted...
Americans trying to create a video game is almost like Americans trying to create anime.

Japan practically invented video games. The mathematics and geometry behind Japanese video games is part of what creates the challenge and the gameplay mechanic itself. American videogames seem to be something completely different. I'll trust a Canadian or European video game studio before I trust games made here in America. They have better imaginations and don't pander to lowest-common denominator economic tactics like our over-bloated capitalistic companies here do (same for movies and music industries).

In any case, want a good game, you're more likely to find it on the PS1, Genesis, GBA, SNES, DS, GBC, or NES (where everything was made by the Japanese). Want state-of-the-art graphics and minute, second-rate gameplay..? Look to western games.

This is short-sighted. I can think of a lot of great games that were developed by American studios, especially when they exclusively focused on PC gaming. From Planescape: Torment to Thief, System Shock 2 and Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines. I don't think American studios really began to fall from grace until they began to focus on console audience (note: this isn't anything against console gaming; I am a console gamer and a PC gamer - however, they used to have very different types of games).

(

None of those games are any good to me. The first Bioware game I even able able to tolerate was KOTOR.
#34seraphic_shadePosted 2/1/2014 4:26:14 AM
DreTam2000 posted...
Americans trying to create a video game is almost like Americans trying to create anime.

---
3DS FC : 3454-0883-6043 teddiursa, audino, and eevee
PM yours if you've added mine
#35DreTam2000Posted 2/3/2014 6:03:54 AM
Link3 posted...
DreTam2000 posted...
ALinkAlone posted...
"Japan practically invented video games. "

That person's a young'un!
I'm 29-years-old. I grew up with a Sega Genesis.

OdaNobuna posted...
Because Japanese games are the best.
Precisely.

I'd love to see this list of allegedly American-made greats that predate the 21st Century. By all means, what is your list of American-made games for the NES, SNES, Genesis, GBC,PS1, GBA, or any of the other classics from before the year 2000?

You realize PCs exist, right?

---
I'm currently using one to type this.

But yes, by all means, name some great PC games from the 20th Century. I welcome recommendations (even if they are inferior to the imaginations of the Japanese).

In fact, come to think of it, one of my favorite games from my childhood just happened to be Oregon Trail.
#36Link3Posted 2/3/2014 7:40:10 AM
Lordrv posted...

Western console games before the XBOX = complete & utter trash.
Western PC games = mostly meh, besides Blizzard.

Battletoads, Goldeneye, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong Country, and everything else made by Rare are Western.
Earthworm Jim
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series
A large number of classic arcade games like Asteroids, Joust and Defender, or even Pong
Crystal Dynamics games (Most of the Legacy of Kain series, Gex series)
Tomb Raider
LucasArts games (So basically most things Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and a variety of other things such as Zombies Ate my Neighbors and Metal Warriors. Most of their stuff was PC, though.)
Midway games (MK series, Gauntlet series, Smash TV)
Oddworld series

Plenty more.

PC games being mostly meh...that's just plain wrong.

DreTam2000 posted...
I'm currently using one to type this.

But yes, by all means, name some great PC games from the 20th Century. I welcome recommendations (even if they are inferior to the imaginations of the Japanese).

In fact, come to think of it, one of my favorite games from my childhood just happened to be Oregon Trail.

Everything by Looking Glass Studios (Thief series, System Shock series, Ultima Underworld series)

Fallout 1 and 2
Planescape Torment
Heretic/Hexen series
Baldur's Gate series
Commander Keen series
X-Wing and TIE Fighter series
Monkey Island series
Grim Fandango
Really just about anything by LucasArts
Wing Commander series
Mechwarrior series
Descent series and its spinoff Freespace series
Original X-COM games
Command and Conquer series
Dune series
Blade Runner
Just most Westwood games
Drakan: Order of the Flame
Worms series
Broken Sword series
Carmageddon series
Unreal
Blood series

PC has a lot to offer.

Now to wait for the inevitable "I don't like any of those games" reply from someone.

---
#37vjackalxPosted 2/7/2014 10:06:27 PM
Link3 posted...

Crystal Dynamics games (Most of the Legacy of Kain series, Gex series)

You listed a lot of great games but this series is my favorite on the list.

That said, everyone on the side of "Japan has the best games" / "Japan invented games" needs to take a step back and play some more games, because, no disrespect, you are completely clueless and you're only doing yourself a disservice by holding such a view.