Dream Team - your thoughts?

#31mahboiPosted 1/31/2014 10:40:01 AM
Compass posted...
Whoa. Quadruple-post fanboy retaliation. You know you're reaching when half your justification is, "Past games had the same problem!"

Here's my reaction: Are the tutorials bad? Yeah. But you have to have no attention span whatsoever for it to come close to killing the experience. (Though, they can kill the beginning.)

The tutorials weren't really that bothersome after the first boss...
---
E means "Everyone", not "Eleven and under". Agrees: 70
I believe in Jesus Christ as my Savior, and am proud of it.
#32kidwgmPosted 1/31/2014 10:47:54 AM
I'm not going to compare then to previous games because I have only play BiS plus I feel that is unfair. People like to hold games up to some previous standard and I like to judge games based it the game itself and not to relation to others. That being said I loved Dream Team. A fantastic game where I put about 60 hours into it.
---
Currently Playing: Rune Factory 4
(Owner: gaming PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, Xbox One)
#33Megamushroom666Posted 1/31/2014 10:50:28 AM
Love it.
#34CompassPosted 1/31/2014 10:57:01 AM
mahboi posted...
Compass posted...
Whoa. Quadruple-post fanboy retaliation. You know you're reaching when half your justification is, "Past games had the same problem!"

Here's my reaction: Are the tutorials bad? Yeah. But you have to have no attention span whatsoever for it to come close to killing the experience. (Though, they can kill the beginning.)

The tutorials weren't really that bothersome after the first boss...

It's not about attention span, it's about wanting to discover things myself and not be treated like a 5 year-old. The game should not be stopping me in my tracks and solving puzzles for me, which it quite literally does.
#35Resident WeevilPosted 1/31/2014 12:11:07 PM
BEEF! The game needs more BEEF!
---
HP/MP restored!
...but you're still hungry.
#36DMZappPosted 1/31/2014 2:58:27 PM
Compass posted...
Yep, like everybody says (except for the occasional fanboy who will defend anything) the tutorials were ridiculous. I made it 15 hours or so in, but they sapped any desire I might have had to eventually return and finish it.

At the same time, Nintendo can't really win. Look at Sticker Star. Basically no handholding, and no shortage of whining from people who thought it was too hard, and wanted to be told exactly where to go and what to do at every moment.

Actually, the problem with Sticker Star was that it withheld more obscure thought processes necessary to beat the game, as well as the lack of lenience with the Things and the lack of a substantial story. I mean, the game really didn't have the time to just come out and say "some stronger enemies may have weaknesses related to the environment, so investigate carefully"? What could possibly go wrong if that sentence was uttered even once in Sticker Star? Similarly, what could possibly go wrong if Things were more lenient in usage, like having Thing Points or paying a coin fee to instantly regenerate them after usage? Nothing.

(On-topic) The only time tutorials were extraneous in this game was when they repeated the badge tutorial for no reason- that was truly overkill. Everything else, they explain JUST ONCE, the very first time a new ability is used, purely to demonstrate how it's used, and then the game leaves you alone on that particular matter after that. However, having typed this, I can understand how it could get irritating, and how odd it is that even basic stuff like jumping got a tutorial now that I reread TC's post.

I liked how they kept the gameplay from the previous games, yet also introduced a second battle type that feels similar to it, instead of overhauling everything for no reason at all. The story, while some padding happens, exists, and something is happening in every location, new characters are met, moments are had, and field manuevers are made.

However, Antasma was overshadowed and didn't really get a chance to shine. While I get the point of why the following sentence happened in the greater scheme of things, it still annoys me how an important detail of Antasma's backstory (where he came from) is treated as throwaway dialogue instead of being more theatrical like the backstories of other good and evil entities from the previous games. Sure, Antasma had the one backstory cutscene, but the other thing should have also gotten that.

The giant fights...I want to like them, and some were cool, but the Gyroscope screwing up randomly during the final battle sort of soured the experience for me. So I agree with TC on that.
---
3DS Friend Code 2664-2654-8959
My Best Pokemon Y Battle: 75LG-WWWW-WWW4-RRCZ