Streetpass Relay Questions

#1Gamer_1028Posted 1/22/2014 10:22:30 PM
I only recently heard about these relay points and wanted to make sure I understand the gist of it.

So are the only relay points the ones on the nintendo website? Or are there other hidden ones not listed there? You can only receive the previous 6 Miis at a time, correct? If I went to a certain relay point, received the 6 Miis, can I go back in an hour and use the same relay point (assuming that 6 new people went there)? Or does the relay points need 8 hour gaps just like streetpassing people regularly?

Sorry for all the questions! But if you can answer them, I would appreciate it. Thanks! If I have anymore questions, I'll post below.
#2irulethegalaxyPosted 1/23/2014 12:01:33 AM
You mean the Starbucks/McDonalds/Bestbuy places, right? You can get up to 6 streetpasses from the last people who were there, and it's about 8 hours before it resets and you can streetpass again in that location (that is, you can go to a McD's and get streetpasses, then hit a Starbucks and get more...but you can't get more streetpasses from the McDs again for 8 hours).

In my experience, the amount you *actually* get varies; I hit my local Starbucks every day while feeding my caffeine addiction. Normally I get 5-6, but yesterday I got one and today three. I can't seem to get any at the local McDonalds stores, nor at my local Bestbuy (whose useless employees actually didn't have the faintest idea what I was talking about when we asked).
---
Dream Suite: 5600-2446-6916
#3Link3Posted 1/23/2014 12:05:01 AM
I'm pretty sure it's not every Best Buy, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc, so it's quite possible the ones you're not getting any streetpasses at just aren't participating.

---
#4TheLastSpeciesPosted 1/23/2014 12:06:21 AM
Basically any place that uses at@t wifi can be a nintendo zone, though looking for spots from nintendos website shows you working ones. Relays save the data from anyone who has taken their 3ds to that spot, meaning its just local people for the most part (exceptions being out of the area people stopping in and any future streetpass weekend events).

It does only save up to 6 people, and it does use the 8 hour limit for repeats from the same peoples saved data. Though you can just go to other nintendo zone locations for more people and even repeats that bypass the 8 hours. ( you can grab one guy from a mc donalds and then pick him up again instantly if you say walked into a starbucks his data is saved in, without waiting 8 hours)

I live in a decent sized city, so I usually have to wait a week to get any brand new people. You usually will find the same people over and over at any one location. Which is great for the find mill game.
---
3DS Friend Code: 1118-1357-9485
ACNL town: Bugtown
#5TheLastSpeciesPosted 1/23/2014 12:09:17 AM
Oddly enough home depots are nintendo zones (since they use at@t wifi, so yeah, there could be "hidden" streetpass relays).
---
3DS Friend Code: 1118-1357-9485
ACNL town: Bugtown
#6irulethegalaxyPosted 1/23/2014 12:14:00 AM
Link3 posted...
I'm pretty sure it's not every Best Buy, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc, so it's quite possible the ones you're not getting any streetpasses at just aren't participating.

---

Possible, but the locations I went to are listed on the site as being Nintendo Zones. I'm betting that the employees just don't have it set up/routers down/etc. TBH, the Bestbuy employees are clueless and the McD's....well, rudest, dirtiest place I've been in. No way I'd eat there on a bet. Guessing they just don't care.
---
Dream Suite: 5600-2446-6916
#7Gamer_1028(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 5:12:54 AM
Thanks guys, it's all starting to come together.

One more question, I understand that it "does use the 8 hour limit for repeats from the same peoples saved data". But what about different people? I live in a somewhat busy city.

For example: I go to a McDonald's and get 6 Miis. Then I leave for an hour (not 8 hours!). I come back and let's say 6 new people came to this relay point. Would I be able to use the relay point again and receive these 6 new people? Or would I still have to wait 8 hours to use that relay point again?

OR what if 4 new people went there. Would I get the 4 new Miis and NOT the other 2?

Sorry if this is confusing...
#8Gamer_1028(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2014 5:30:24 AM
Oh and do I just need to walk by these relays with my WiFi enabled to get them? Or do I actually need to sit down, take my 3DS out and go to the Nintendo Zone app?
#9iMURDAuPosted 1/23/2014 6:51:13 AM
You don't have to open the Nintendo Zone app. Just need wifi to be on and the regular streetpass rules apply like it won't work if a regular DS game is in sleep mode. I stop by local McDonald's once in a while to "use the bathroom" and get streetpasses. Really helps out getting plaza tickets and puzzle pieces.
---
-.-- --- ..- / -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. / .... .- ...- . / ... .--. . -. - / - .... .. ... / - .. -- . / .--. .-.. .- -.-- .. -. --. / .- / --. .- -- .
#10DBPanterAPosted 1/23/2014 1:20:38 PM
Gamer_1028 posted...
Thanks guys, it's all starting to come together.

One more question, I understand that it "does use the 8 hour limit for repeats from the same peoples saved data". But what about different people? I live in a somewhat busy city.

For example: I go to a McDonald's and get 6 Miis. Then I leave for an hour (not 8 hours!). I come back and let's say 6 new people came to this relay point. Would I be able to use the relay point again and receive these 6 new people? Or would I still have to wait 8 hours to use that relay point again?

OR what if 4 new people went there. Would I get the 4 new Miis and NOT the other 2?

Sorry if this is confusing...

You can only access the relay point every 8 hours, regardless if new people showed up or not. If you choose to spend the day at a location, anyone walking in would trigger a simple street pass hit.

When Nintendo had their International Street Pass weekend, I went bonkers and was visiting 6 different locations twice a day. I have most of the puzzle pieces, but the problem locally is I only have 1 pink piece for Chibi Robo, and I am missing the other 7.

This is why there are many threads on how to create a att wifi hotspot in your own home: To get unlimited hits, but I prefer hitting the locations up. Some places have their wifi extend outside of the buildings, so you simply need to park in the the parking lot close to the building to get the hit....

If you live in a large area, there are facebook fan pages as well at ones on I believe a site called meet up where people congregate in large metro areas (this was instituted prior to relay points) to interact with other 3DS owners. This is where I have had the most success, getting anywhere from 20-50 hits within 90 minutes, while talking or playing with other 3DS owners.....
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036