Streetpass - Keep your 3DS Updated!

#1game player sPosted 1/25/2014 11:01:57 AM
Seriously, if your not having much luck, or no luck at all, in Streetpass then you really need to get your 3DS connected to the internet and let it check for system updates.

I was averaging one Streetpass a day before the first major system update back in November. Cut my average down to five a week after that. Then the major overhaul update before Christmas cut me back to a three a week average. And now we've had yet another minor update this week and I've only managed one Streetpass since.

This isn't some issue of me not being in range of other 3DS owners, this is an issue of the other 3DS owners being entirely unaware that their non-updated 3DS can no longer Streetpass with updated 3DS systems.

So please folks, get your 3DS updated if you intend to use Streetpass.
---
Welcome To The Next Level---SEGA
http://www.segaforums.com/hosted/psoarchive/
#2KlRBEHPosted 1/25/2014 11:02:57 AM
I had 10 streetpasses yesterday =D
---
http://i.imgur.com/fUaBI.jpg
I NEEDUH MONSTA TA CLOBBA DAT DERE KIRBEH
#3mrjack3112Posted 1/25/2014 11:17:58 AM
Yeah i got 2 yesterday and i rarely get them.
---
Your Flux Capacitor is out? Also you need help fixing it?!
#4Gamer_1028Posted 1/25/2014 11:18:46 AM
I had a system update like a couple days back, but it literally finished in a second. There was no completion bar or anything, just finished so quick. Was that the update? How do you even check if you have the most recent system update?
#5game player s(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 12:30:28 PM
From the main 3DS menu select System Settings Nintendo, In the lower right corner of the top screen the current firmware version of your system will be displayed.

Current Firmware version for 3DS is: Ver. 7.1.0-15U
Current firmware version of the 2DS may vary.

And yes, the most recent update was so tiny that it literally installed in mere seconds.
---
#6Tzuba12Posted 1/25/2014 4:32:18 PM
game player s posted...
From the main 3DS menu select System Settings Nintendo, In the lower right corner of the top screen the current firmware version of your system will be displayed.

Current Firmware version for 3DS is: Ver. 7.1.0-15U
Current firmware version of the 2DS may vary.

And yes, the most recent update was so tiny that it literally installed in mere seconds.

Uh tc, keeping your 3DS updated or not, has no affect on street pass.
2nd,the 2ds and 3ds are the same exact systems, just one doesn't have 3D. Updates go to all models at the same time. No variance.

And the reason you probably got more street passes after one update last year, is because they had just implemented the street pass relay centers, which made it much easier to get them.

And yes, it probably is the fact you aren't close to any other 3DS owners. Don't know why you would think otherwise.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059/NNID: Tzuba12
Steam:Tzuba
#7game player s(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 7:47:28 PM
No, you really can't Streetpass with 3DS's that aren't updated. I've tested this theory out with a couple of family members. If you aren't on the same firmware revision Streetpass between the systems stops working. We tested this back in November and again when the pre-Christmas update was released.

As for the idea of not encountering other people with 2/3DS's, I know that isn't the case. I'm still around just as many people day-to-day as I was before the November update, the only thing that has changed is that most people never bother to take their 3DS's online, and thus are oblivious to the existnce of system updates.
---
#8generalghostPosted 1/25/2014 7:49:16 PM
game player s posted...
No, you really can't Streetpass with 3DS's that aren't updated. I've tested this theory out with a couple of family members. If you aren't on the same firmware revision Streetpass between the systems stops working. We tested this back in November and again when the pre-Christmas update was released.

As for the idea of not encountering other people with 2/3DS's, I know that isn't the case. I'm still around just as many people day-to-day as I was before the November update, the only thing that has changed is that most people never bother to take their 3DS's online, and thus are oblivious to the existnce of system updates.

Does that work the same for the street pass relay?
---
PSN- GeneralGhost Steam- General Ghost NNID- GeneralGhost
3DS FC- 1118-1177-3364 Safari Bug-type Paras, Beautifly, and Venomoth.
#9Tzuba12Posted 1/25/2014 8:13:48 PM
game player s posted...

Just because you're around just as many people, doesn't mean that you're guaranteed a street pass. Ever thought people just don't have their 3DS with them? You don't pass the same exact people every single day. There are about more reasons you aren't getting streepasses other than people just not updating their systems.

And those updates in November and December both required an update to miiverse plaza as well, which may have affected it somewhat. But this last one did not. I street passed my sister the on Thursday. I had just updated, but she hadn't updated until yesterday. Still worked.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059/NNID: Tzuba12
Steam:Tzuba
#10game player s(Topic Creator)Posted 1/25/2014 11:28:42 PM
Tzuba12 posted...
Just because you're around just as many people, doesn't mean that you're guaranteed a street pass. Ever thought people just don't have their 3DS with them? You don't pass the same exact people every single day. There are about more reasons you aren't getting streepasses other than people just not updating their systems.

And those updates in November and December both required an update to miiverse plaza as well, which may have affected it somewhat. But this last one did not. I street passed my sister the on Thursday. I had just updated, but she hadn't updated until yesterday. Still worked.

Correction, those updates in November did effect it or were you not reading that which you so dutifully quoted. As for the update this past week, not a clue as to whether it had any effect on Streetpass, but all the same why chance it?

And you are correct, I don't encounter the same groups of people every single day. My point is that before the November update, even before the busy holiday season when kids were out of school for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the changing of the calender year holidays I had been averaging a far greater number of Streetpasses per week than I am now that Christmas has passed and tens of thousands more people own a 3DS than ever before. That seems remarkably odd and therefore is noteworthy to me, if you perceive my findings as being inadmissible than that is your prerogative to do so, as for me my opinion on this matter remains unchanged.
---