Is SEGA working on more 3D Classics?

#1ImAMarvelPosted 2/7/2014 1:17:11 AM
IMO, they've only scratched the surface.

There's still Outrun, After Burner 2, Monster World IV, Sonic 2 and 3, I guess the Phantasy Star games, and maybe some others I'm missing.
---
I'm Maaaaarvelous!!!
(marvel/dc_comicfan333)
#2BuretsuPosted 2/7/2014 1:20:46 AM
Pretty sure they said somewhere that they were.
---
June 5, 2014: Persona Q for 3DS; Winter 2014: Persona 5 for PS3
Not changing this sig until English localization is announced. Make it happen! (11/24/2013)
#3awful_swillPosted 2/7/2014 1:21:57 AM
http://m.joystiq.com/2013/12/01/sega-to-continue-3d-classics-series-on-3ds-us-release-depends-o/

Second batch coming dependent on sales
#4ImAMarvel(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 1:32:55 AM
Based SEGA.

SEGA is doing a much better job at porting/emulating their older works than Nintendo is doing right now.
---
I'm Maaaaarvelous!!!
(marvel/dc_comicfan333)
#5FefnirOmega13Posted 2/7/2014 4:27:57 AM
streets of rage 2, toejam and earl, or kid chameleon please and thank you sega
---
If you die around here, you'll burn so hard there won't even be ashes left.
If I want your corpse, I'd better take ya down here!
#6AkaneJonesPosted 2/7/2014 4:34:35 AM
ImAMarvel posted...

There's still Outrun, After Burner 2, Monster World IV, Sonic 2 and 3, I guess the Phantasy Star games, and maybe some others I'm missing.

If they did Phantasy Star it would have to be based on the Sega Ages version. The dungeon were already build into 3D models making conversion to 3D simple. At that point is barely a "3D Classic" and just a PS2 port. I suppose they could skip strait to Phantasy Star IV, but in that only the battles really take advantage of 3D. Top down games seem far harder to pull of 3D, particularly when it isn't just flying over them in one direction.
#7GenkiPosted 2/7/2014 5:00:16 AM
I would like to see Sega release a port of the arcade Star Wars (1993, also on 32X 1994) in 3D but Disney owns the right to Star Wars and might balk at letting Sega reissue the game
---
3DS friend code 1762-2819-7829
#8brigadier_101Posted 2/7/2014 5:14:00 AM
They've already released After Burner 2 on the Japanese eShop.
#9rahxephon122Posted 2/7/2014 7:16:47 AM
ImAMarvel posted...
Based SEGA.

SEGA is doing a much better job at porting/emulating their older works than Nintendo is doing right now.

Probably because sega doesn't have much going on for any new games.
---
Ich habe keinen Meister bis auf den Wind der Freiheit!
Friend Safari - Ghost: Phantump, Lampent, Spiritomb
#10owyn_merrilinPosted 2/7/2014 7:23:53 AM
AkaneJones posted...
ImAMarvel posted...

If they did Phantasy Star it would have to be based on the Sega Ages version. The dungeon were already build into 3D models making conversion to 3D simple. At that point is barely a "3D Classic" and just a PS2 port. I suppose they could skip strait to Phantasy Star IV, but in that only the battles really take advantage of 3D. Top down games seem far harder to pull of 3D, particularly when it isn't just flying over them in one direction.

That might be the case for 2-4, but the original actually had stereoscopic 3D on the original Master System Version, with full color active glasses, no less. I've always wanted to try those dungeons in 3D. If they release that as a 3D classic and add a mapping function, even just graph paper so you can draw it yourself, I'm there. Phantasy Star I is one of if not my absolute favorite 8 bit JRPG.