Is SEGA working on more 3D Classics?

#11cadorPosted 2/7/2014 8:31:21 AM
owyn_merrilin posted...
AkaneJones posted...
ImAMarvel posted...
IMO, they've only scratched the surface.

There's still Outrun, After Burner 2, Monster World IV, Sonic 2 and 3, I guess the Phantasy Star games, and maybe some others I'm missing.

If they did Phantasy Star it would have to be based on the Sega Ages version. The dungeon were already build into 3D models making conversion to 3D simple. At that point is barely a "3D Classic" and just a PS2 port. I suppose they could skip strait to Phantasy Star IV, but in that only the battles really take advantage of 3D. Top down games seem far harder to pull of 3D, particularly when it isn't just flying over them in one direction.

That might be the case for 2-4, but the original actually had stereoscopic 3D on the original Master System Version, with full color active glasses, no less. I've always wanted to try those dungeons in 3D. If they release that as a 3D classic and add a mapping function, even just graph paper so you can draw it yourself, I'm there. Phantasy Star I is one of if not my absolute favorite 8 bit JRPG.

Played the GBA version of that. Loved it though I relied on my memory for the maps. Don't know if I can still do something like that though. heh.
---
"Corn-cob-man? There's a lot of sick people in this town."- Red Guy
#12owyn_merrilinPosted 2/7/2014 8:58:53 AM
cador posted...
owyn_merrilin posted...
AkaneJones posted...
ImAMarvel posted...
IMO, they've only scratched the surface.

There's still Outrun, After Burner 2, Monster World IV, Sonic 2 and 3, I guess the Phantasy Star games, and maybe some others I'm missing.

If they did Phantasy Star it would have to be based on the Sega Ages version. The dungeon were already build into 3D models making conversion to 3D simple. At that point is barely a "3D Classic" and just a PS2 port. I suppose they could skip strait to Phantasy Star IV, but in that only the battles really take advantage of 3D. Top down games seem far harder to pull of 3D, particularly when it isn't just flying over them in one direction.

That might be the case for 2-4, but the original actually had stereoscopic 3D on the original Master System Version, with full color active glasses, no less. I've always wanted to try those dungeons in 3D. If they release that as a 3D classic and add a mapping function, even just graph paper so you can draw it yourself, I'm there. Phantasy Star I is one of if not my absolute favorite 8 bit JRPG.

Played the GBA version of that. Loved it though I relied on my memory for the maps. Don't know if I can still do something like that though. heh.

I got pretty far into that version myself, unfortunately it was in that bag that I lost on that trip to California, along with all of the other GBA games I had at the time. I actually had a binder with graph paper and a notebook in it that I kept ridiculously detailed maps in. I now have legit copies of the rest of the main series games, but not that one, which is a shame since it's the only one I really care about.
#13WolfTwiliPosted 2/7/2014 9:25:40 AM
they should do Shining Force and Shining Force 2 for 3D Classics
---
Currently Playing: Pokemon X (3DS), Earthbound (Wii U) and Xenoblade (Wii on Wii U)
3DS FC: 1461-6216-3909 IGN: Wolfe Safari: Kirlia, Jigglypuff, Floette
#14GunbladeladPosted 2/7/2014 9:31:40 AM
If they decide to do a mapping option then they could do far worse than use Etrian Odyssey's method of player mapping.
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
#15gamezero6Posted 2/7/2014 3:28:41 PM
WolfTwili posted...

---
XBL GamerTag: NamiXJin
PSN~Ps Vita ID: JinZer069 + NNID~3DS: NamiZXJinClan
#16ImAMarvel(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 5:54:03 PM
brigadier_101 posted...
They've already released After Burner 2 on the Japanese eShop.

That gives me hope for an NA release, at least.

WolfTwili posted...

They really should.

And when Nintendo finally gets the GBA VC working, they should put the GBA remake of the first game up on there as well.
---
I'm Maaaaarvelous!!!
(marvel/dc_comicfan333)
#17MizuhoChamaPosted 2/13/2014 3:34:43 PM
I'd buy Toejam instantly. Number 2 too. Can't really think of any other games though for some reason.
---
Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit."-Vyse the Legend
PSN - MizuhoChan 3DS - 3523 2022 4853
#18WebOfHairPosted 2/13/2014 5:01:31 PM
Love to see Bug 3D!
#19WebOfHairPosted 2/13/2014 6:07:21 PM
Or Three Dirty Dwarfs!
#20TriangularTwigPosted 2/13/2014 7:59:47 PM(edited)
I'm crossing my fingers for Kid Chameleon or Rocket Knight Adventures