#1Devilman_AmonPosted 2/8/2014 6:02:24 PM
Couldn't this be a viable possibility?

Seems like a no brainer

Or is it harder to port than I imagine?
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#2dizanimatorPosted 2/8/2014 6:35:39 PM
I'm not sure how hard it would be. I'm pretty sure the 3DS is powerful enough, but the Virtual Boy had a different button layout on the controller (as far as I remember) and depending on how many buttons were used that might be an issue. Maybe some could end up mapped to the touchscreen?
I think it could be a good idea, but I think there should at least be the option to use black and white instead of black and red for the display.
#38bitgenPosted 2/8/2014 6:51:08 PM
Not sure if it could be done i'm not a programmer and would there be enough games worth porting over.
#4owyn_merrilinPosted 2/8/2014 7:02:08 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lVYmr6H-UOA/T-oX2eTjS5I/AAAAAAAAKig/kbGsbbY7bA4/s1600/Virtual_Boy_controller.jpg

Looks like it had a second D-pad, one for each hand. Depending on how that was used, the controls may or may not be possible to map to the vanilla 3DS, although a circle pad pro could do it for sure. There's enough buttons thanks to the (built in, not pro) circle pad, but if you actually needed both D-pads at once for anything, in addition to the buttons, it might make things awkward.

The other question is, how were the graphics handled internally? The display used tricks with mirrors and reflections. Would it be possible to use emulation and still have it output in 3D, or would they need to go back to the source code and totally revamp it?
#5Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2014 7:05:11 PM
No idea

Just know that I saw a review on the system on YT and a guy uploaded an emulated copy of one of the games in 3D so you could 'sorta' get the feeling of what it looks like. You would need the red & blue 3D glasses...
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#6owyn_merrilinPosted 2/8/2014 7:10:14 PM
Devilman_Amon posted...
No idea

Just know that I saw a review on the system on YT and a guy uploaded an emulated copy of one of the games in 3D so you could 'sorta' get the feeling of what it looks like. You would need the red & blue 3D glasses...

Well if there's a fan made emulator that can get it to output in anaglyph 3D, I guess that means that it's possible to get it to output in a modern 3D format without totally reworking the source code, given enough computing power. Which means the question is more can the 3DS handle it, and does it have enough buttons.
#7Devilman_Amon(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2014 7:22:21 PM
I actually have a Virtual Boy (my younger brother's when he was little) but I can't test it out because he lost the controller long ago
---
(\__/)
(='.'=)
#8robomasteralphaPosted 2/8/2014 7:27:05 PM
owyn_merrilin posted...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lVYmr6H-UOA/T-oX2eTjS5I/AAAAAAAAKig/kbGsbbY7bA4/s1600/Virtual_Boy_controller.jpg

Looks like it had a second D-pad, one for each hand. Depending on how that was used, the controls may or may not be possible to map to the vanilla 3DS, although a circle pad pro could do it for sure. There's enough buttons thanks to the (built in, not pro) circle pad, but if you actually needed both D-pads at once for anything, in addition to the buttons, it might make things awkward.

The other question is, how were the graphics handled internally? The display used tricks with mirrors and reflections. Would it be possible to use emulation and still have it output in 3D, or would they need to go back to the source code and totally revamp it?

Call me crazy, but I'd map a+b to the triggers and use abxy as a second d-pad.
---
Shop smart. Shop Mario Mart.
You can't escape Reggie. He has that power. I hope your body is ready.
#9Frozenx07Posted 2/8/2014 7:30:34 PM
I really hope Nintendo releases at least one Virtual Boy game to the eShop. It's part of Nintendo's legacy whether they like it or not. People would be interested.
#10Marcster1994Posted 2/8/2014 7:49:11 PM
I believe there was an image of a remastered Wario Land VB somewhere.
---
3DS FC: 4725-7947-0440 ~ NNID: MarcsterS
PSN: Marcster1994 ~ Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Deviljhohoho