This is one of our last chances JRPG fans so DON'T BLOW IT!

#21samuraigaidenPosted 2/12/2014 4:31:32 AM
I bought it on the eShop 2 days ago. I hope it's very successful and I hope TC is right.
#22VeiledGenesisPosted 2/12/2014 4:48:21 AM
Why is this game getting so many reassurance topics?
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#23Apl_JPosted 2/12/2014 5:03:26 AM
JRPGs are weird in that their telltale mechanics were only ever done out of necessity. Back in the S/NES days, a cartridge barely had the memory capacity for all the music, text, and graphics, let alone complex mechanics-- games had to be unintuitive, turn based affairs if you wanted to engage the player through storytelling. No developer ever thought 'hey, let's decide against engaging mechanics and instead make the game menu based'.

Fast forward to the Playstation era, where CDs offer huge amounts of space. jRPG veteran studios suddenly need something to compete with games offering actual, real gameplay. Square remedied the situation with spectacle. Half of FF7's initial acclaim was how amazing the game looked. At that time, those cutscenes were considered top tier. Namco and Falcom began engaging in action gameplay with Tales and Ys, and Enix sort of did both with various titles.

After that, we come to when jRPGs started dying off, around the beginning of the last gen or end of the PS2 era. Now, players can get an engaging story AND gameplay in the same package; at this point, menu-based gameplay is pretty much rendered moot. As an example, Kingdom Hearts could have easily been a turn based jRPG. It wasn't, because that formula is simply outdated and not fun-- it was a better game thanks to its mechanics yet still enamors fans of jRPGs.

Personally, turn based has run its course in the genre, I believe. Bravely Default is great, but at the end of the day, its merely a nod to the past. Combat is still the meat of the game, and while it is fairly complex, its still unengaging. It isn't up to us fans to preserve anything, its up to the developer to make games that engage on both levels. Final Fantasy can't be kept afloat by storytelling and spectacle no more than Monster Hunter can stand on its great mechanics. The west have already married the two concepts, which is why their market isn't floundering.
---
RIP GDMag, you made my career a reality. (1994-2013)
Currently Playing: Dragon's Crown, FFXIV, Fire Emblem: Awakening
#24waijiePosted 2/12/2014 5:55:23 AM
Nah, although I have bravely default, I wouldn't say that it is any better than the "shovelware" you mentioned.

It is severely limited in some way that I wouldn't say that this a masterpiece.
The graphics and models in this are unfortunately pretty bad, considering that it would be limited by 3ds hardware and probably also effort that they put in. The story is also a bit cliche.

It is still fun to play though.

The shovelware you mentioned mostly consist of some charms that will appeal to their target audience.

I personally like neptunia series very much because of their characters but it is painfully obvious that they rehash all kinds of monster models and maps.
Atelier series are charming but I personally dislike being limited by the time system.
---
Friend code: 3883-4770-5153 waijie666
Char name/Farm name: Waijie/Echo
#25AceMosPosted 2/12/2014 6:12:42 AM
i agains tate great first half but the 2nd half is just tedius if you have played it you know why i dont regret buying it but the 2nd half realy hurt the story and even hurt he game play by making it becoem repetative
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#26samuraigaidenPosted 2/12/2014 6:15:22 AM
Apl_J posted...
JRPGs are weird in that their telltale mechanics were only ever done out of necessity. Back in the S/NES days, a cartridge barely had the memory capacity for all the music, text, and graphics, let alone complex mechanics-- games had to be unintuitive, turn based affairs if you wanted to engage the player through storytelling. No developer ever thought 'hey, let's decide against engaging mechanics and instead make the game menu based'.

Fast forward to the Playstation era, where CDs offer huge amounts of space. jRPG veteran studios suddenly need something to compete with games offering actual, real gameplay. Square remedied the situation with spectacle. Half of FF7's initial acclaim was how amazing the game looked. At that time, those cutscenes were considered top tier. Namco and Falcom began engaging in action gameplay with Tales and Ys, and Enix sort of did both with various titles.

After that, we come to when jRPGs started dying off, around the beginning of the last gen or end of the PS2 era. Now, players can get an engaging story AND gameplay in the same package; at this point, menu-based gameplay is pretty much rendered moot. As an example, Kingdom Hearts could have easily been a turn based jRPG. It wasn't, because that formula is simply outdated and not fun-- it was a better game thanks to its mechanics yet still enamors fans of jRPGs.

Personally, turn based has run its course in the genre, I believe. Bravely Default is great, but at the end of the day, its merely a nod to the past. Combat is still the meat of the game, and while it is fairly complex, its still unengaging. It isn't up to us fans to preserve anything, its up to the developer to make games that engage on both levels. Final Fantasy can't be kept afloat by storytelling and spectacle no more than Monster Hunter can stand on its great mechanics. The west have already married the two concepts, which is why their market isn't floundering.

No. Turn-based gameplay is the only proper way to offer the complexity of pen and paper RPGs in videogame form.

The fact more games are able to actually tell a story only reinforces the value of turn-based gameplay.

Sure, casual audiences want immediate satisfaction and will prefer a Diablo-clone over Fallout 1 and 2 any day. The same way, action RPGs (Kingdom Hearts) from Japan will have a more mainstream appeal than console-style RPGs (Bravely Default).

But guess what? There are millions of people around the world who love turn-based gameplay. Look at the success of Pokemon X & Y, Fire Emblem: Awakening, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Civilization V, etc.

The Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy has sold way more physical copies than Mass Effect Trilogy (according to VGChartz), despite being available in a smaller number of platforms.

Turn-based gameplay is here to stay!

Also, you should shut up about Squaresoft, Enix and all the history of JRPGs. You've got it all backwards. Enix never was a developer, they only published games. Squaresoft made plenty of action games and they had awesome gameplay. Falcom did Action RPGs before Zelda existed.

Now go play your COD, junior.
#27zombone13Posted 2/12/2014 6:47:23 AM
When I bought my 3DS I did so knowing that Dragon Quest Monsters was in development and, seeing as how so many DQ and FF titles were on DS, thought that 3DS would get some good JRPGs. Years later though, no DQ here after what, four being released in Japan?

Also, Fantasy Life seems ignored and instead we get games like Disney Magical World. Ugh.
#28bigtim777Posted 2/12/2014 6:49:30 AM
Localizing Trails of the Flash (or other trails) have nothing to do with buying your overhyped, boring, repetitive and overused jobsystem game. Wow....what I title I gave that! xD

Screw you! I'm going to enjoy the hell out Atelier Escha & Logy. :D <3
---
FF6 > FF13 > FF4-AY > FF5 > FF4 > FF13-2 > FF10 > FF3 > FF1 > FF2
#29Randomdude18Posted 2/12/2014 6:51:11 AM
I...kinda like the Atelier Arland games.

Anyway...

Bought Bravely Default and enjoying it. It's also cool you mentioned Trails in the Sky and Grandia.
---
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth" ~Char Aznable
#30Apl_JPosted 2/12/2014 6:57:34 AM
samuraigaiden posted...
No. Turn-based gameplay is the only proper way to offer the complexity of pen and paper RPGs in videogame form.

The fact more games are able to actually tell a story only reinforces the value of turn-based gameplay.

Sure, casual audiences want immediate satisfaction and will prefer a Diablo-clone over Fallout 1 and 2 any day. The same way, action RPGs (Kingdom Hearts) from Japan will have a more mainstream appeal than console-style RPGs (Bravely Default).

But guess what? There are millions of people around the world who love turn-based gameplay. Look at the success of Pokemon X & Y, Fire Emblem: Awakening, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Civilization V, etc.

The Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy has sold way more physical copies than Mass Effect Trilogy (according to VGChartz), despite being available in a smaller number of platforms.

Turn-based gameplay is here to stay!

Also, you should shut up about Squaresoft, Enix and all the history of JRPGs. You've got it all backwards. Enix never was a developer, they only published games. Squaresoft made plenty of action games and they had awesome gameplay. Falcom did Action RPGs before Zelda existed.

Now go play your COD, junior.

Firstly, I get that you don't agree with my points, but do you really have to add in personal attacks? Don't tell me to 'shut-up', or cal me junior, or whatever else; its wholly unwarranted. Just a discussion, man.

-Pen and Paper is on its last legs in the video game world. There simply isn't enough of market here to cater games around.
-Pokemon would be successful as nearly any genre. Its success lies in its name, not in the game itself. Neither FE, XCOM, or Civ are Turn Based jRPGs; they're strategy games. My points are focused on jRPGs. That would be like saying chess would be better as an action game, which I am not saying.
-FF13 is also the most scrutinized FF title. And why does this even matter? CoD outsells both combined.
-I never said Enix developed anything; I was taking about what they were behind. Square was behind FF, so I talked about FF as its their biggest franchise. Falcom doing Action RPGs before Zelda means... what? Their early action titles were very story-lite in comparison to the competition at the time, which is pretty much what I've been talking about: story and gameplay being exclusive back then.
---
RIP GDMag, you made my career a reality. (1994-2013)
Currently Playing: Dragon's Crown, FFXIV, Fire Emblem: Awakening