where to start with the Layton games?

#1The_Pig_HostagePosted 2/13/2014 4:56:09 PM
if I want to get into the series to play Azran Legacy and the Phoenix Wright crossover, can I just start with Last Specter? or will I be lost without playing the original trilogy?
---
Rosalina is my waifu.
#2HoundourPosted 2/13/2014 5:04:19 PM
Last Specter is a great place to start if you want to follow the story chronologically. But if you want have more enjoyment with the puzzles, the original trilogy would be a great place as well. It comes down to what you want to do.
---
#3The_Pig_Hostage(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 6:42:40 PM
Houndour posted...
Last Specter is a great place to start if you want to follow the story chronologically. But if you want have more enjoyment with the puzzles, the original trilogy would be a great place as well. It comes down to what you want to do.

so storywise, I wouldn't be missing much by skipping the original trilogy? I'm sure they're great games, but I don't have the time to play through them all
---
Rosalina is my waifu.
#4Edouard_kerooPosted 2/15/2014 4:07:15 PM
You can do 4-5-6 then 1-2-3 or the other way around (more recommended)

You really appreciate more the story in you play them in order, because recurring characters gives this series a real coherent feeling.

Since 4-5-6 is the prequel, you'll see people evolve in 1-2-3 or in the other way play 1-2-3 and see 4-5-6 as the flashbacks.

Trust me the story is wrapping itself very nicely.
---
WDIYShowcase:0134 0338 9685 3305.PSN:Omilun
DK3 OCRemix album :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzm5yJW1ZSY&hd=1
#5rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/15/2014 7:24:22 PM
The_Pig_Hostage posted...
Houndour posted...

so storywise, I wouldn't be missing much by skipping the original trilogy? I'm sure they're great games, but I don't have the time to play through them all

They're like 10-12 hours each. Of course you have the time to play through them all. What's your goddamn hurry?
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Playing: FFXIV (server: Lamia)
#6NecroAlucard136Posted 2/16/2014 1:45:12 AM
rockyoumonkeys posted...
Houndour posted...

They're like 10-12 hours each. Of course you have the time to play through them all. What's your goddamn hurry?

That's an incredibly naive thing to say. Free time can be very scarce and 5 games is quite a deep prerequisite. There's also a good chance of getting burned out by playing these games back to back. Why do people have to make some unnecessary barrier for getting into the series? They're specifically created in a way that people can jump in and play them at any point.
#7Rai_JinPosted 2/16/2014 2:31:29 AM
NecroAlucard136 posted...
rockyoumonkeys posted...
Houndour posted...

That's an incredibly naive thing to say. Free time can be very scarce and 5 games is quite a deep prerequisite. There's also a good chance of getting burned out by playing these games back to back. Why do people have to make some unnecessary barrier for getting into the series? They're specifically created in a way that people can jump in and play them at any point.

But why is tc in a hurry in the first place?
#8mikebrand83Posted 2/16/2014 3:23:28 AM
While I would generally recommend against playing the games completely out of order, playing the games of either trilogy (either 1-2-3, or 4-5-6) in order should be plenty to give you a good understanding of the characters' relationship with each other.

Now personally, I feel that playing the games in release order (4-5-6, then 1-2-3) makes some of the cameo appearances and reveals in both slightly more interesting, but that's purely my personal opinion as someone who played them in that order. It should not unduly affect a newcomer to the series.
#9rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/16/2014 7:09:52 AM
NecroAlucard136 posted...
rockyoumonkeys posted...
Houndour posted...

If your free time is THAT scarce, you're doing something wrong. And again, what's the hurry?

Fine, he's a goddamn doctor or something and literally has one hour a week to play video games, why does he have to skip some relatively short games just so he can play some other relatively short games, especially ones like these where it's to your benefit to play them in order?

Or maybe put another way: if he can't be bothered to play the earlier games, why does he even want to play the later games?
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Playing: FFXIV (server: Lamia)
#10NecroAlucard136Posted 2/16/2014 9:58:10 AM
rockyoumonkeys posted...
Or maybe put another way: if he can't be bothered to play the earlier games, why does he even want to play the later games?

Because the new game comes out in less than 2 weeks and he wants to play it while it's relevant? Because he doesn't want to have to invest time and money into 5 games just to be able to enjoy the new game?

I get it, as a fan of a series, you want others to experience it in the same great way that you did, but be reasonable. Being told that you have that you have to go through 5 games just to catch up and be able to enjoy the new game is gonna turn away more people than it brings in. You don't get some amazing revelation from playing them in order, they are very loosely connected.

If the TC is up to playing from the beginning then more power to him. However, the fact that he made this topic and is asking the question shows that he'd rather not, and that's ok. Like I said, the games are designed to be able to just jump in and enjoy yourself.