where to start with the Layton games?

#11BeanBeanKingdomPosted 2/16/2014 10:01:01 AM
The bare minimum would be to play The Miracle Mask. The Last Specter is also recommended (as is watching The Eternal Diva), but The Miracle Mask is the only one that's 100% required to understand The Azran Legacy fully.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#12rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/16/2014 12:02:00 PM
NecroAlucard136 posted...
rockyoumonkeys posted...
Or maybe put another way: if he can't be bothered to play the earlier games, why does he even want to play the later games?

Because the new game comes out in less than 2 weeks and he wants to play it while it's relevant? Because he doesn't want to have to invest time and money into 5 games just to be able to enjoy the new game?

I get it, as a fan of a series, you want others to experience it in the same great way that you did, but be reasonable. Being told that you have that you have to go through 5 games just to catch up and be able to enjoy the new game is gonna turn away more people than it brings in. You don't get some amazing revelation from playing them in order, they are very loosely connected.

If the TC is up to playing from the beginning then more power to him. However, the fact that he made this topic and is asking the question shows that he'd rather not, and that's ok. Like I said, the games are designed to be able to just jump in and enjoy yourself.

"While it's relevant?" What difference does that make? I'm playing the third game now and "relevance" has no impact whatsoever on it. Like somehow I'm able to get past the fact that all the cool kids are playing the new game while I'm stuck in the goddamn dark ages or something with my ANCIENT copy of the third game.

Maybe it's just that mindset I don't get. I mean, when I got interested in the Layton games, there were already five of them out. But at no point did my brain think "god, I just can't be bothered to play ALL FIVE OF THEM, I only want to play the newest one because logic." No, my instinct was, these look interesting, I'ma start with the first game, because the games tell stories and stories are best enjoyed in order. And because if I was interested in ONE of them (i.e., the newest), it would make sense (at least to me) that I would be interested in ALL of them. I never once thought "ugh, the first four games are TOO OLD for me to enjoy, I need to skip them."

But hey, I'm sure to you it makes sense that games can't be enjoyed when they aren't brand new anymore. So whatever floats your boat.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Playing: FFXIV (server: Lamia)
#13JadebellPosted 2/16/2014 1:23:53 PM
^To be fair, TC posted interest in the crossover, so it might be that he/she is really excited about the crossover (Phoenix Wright fan?) but hasn't played any Layton games before.

I'm never sure how to answer these "which Layton game should I play first" queries. Ideally one should start from the very first game, Curious Village, and then work through the rest in release order. If I was trying to get into a series with multiple entries I'd try my best to start at the very beginning (recent example: I bought the first Inazuma Eleven a few weeks ago despite the game being out for over 2 years already and despite the third one being out already on 3DS) but... time/money can be an issue for people. Availibility of old games can be a problem too.

One thing though: I would NOT recommend playing Azran Legacy by itself as a first game. The plot twists are dependant on events from Miracle Mask & to a lesser extent, Last Specter. It's not like the original trilogy; Azran Legacy pretty much throws you into a direct continuation of Miracle Mask. If you're pressed for time and want to be "up to date", I'd recommend starting with Last Specter, or the bare minimum Miracle Mask.
#14Herbert0Posted 2/16/2014 1:31:52 PM
I'd say Unwound Future and Curious Village are the 2 best Layton games so I suggest starting with Curious Village.
#15NecroAlucard136Posted 2/16/2014 6:24:08 PM
Jadebell posted...
^To be fair, TC posted interest in the crossover, so it might be that he/she is really excited about the crossover (Phoenix Wright fan?) but hasn't played any Layton games before.

I'm never sure how to answer these "which Layton game should I play first" queries. Ideally one should start from the very first game, Curious Village, and then work through the rest in release order. If I was trying to get into a series with multiple entries I'd try my best to start at the very beginning (recent example: I bought the first Inazuma Eleven a few weeks ago despite the game being out for over 2 years already and despite the third one being out already on 3DS) but... time/money can be an issue for people. Availibility of old games can be a problem too.

One thing though: I would NOT recommend playing Azran Legacy by itself as a first game. The plot twists are dependant on events from Miracle Mask & to a lesser extent, Last Specter. It's not like the original trilogy; Azran Legacy pretty much throws you into a direct continuation of Miracle Mask. If you're pressed for time and want to be "up to date", I'd recommend starting with Last Specter, or the bare minimum Miracle Mask.

It's interesting to hear that Azran Legacy relies so heavily on Miracle Mask. Would you mind telling me why? Mild spoilers in tags are fine.
#16mikebrand83Posted 2/16/2014 10:28:01 PM
NecroAlucard136 posted...
It's interesting to hear that Azran Legacy relies so heavily on Miracle Mask. Would you mind telling me why? Mild spoilers in tags are fine.

Miracle Mask basically reveals that all of the events involving the opening/activations of various major Azran sites in throughout the prequel trilogy era (Last Specter, the movie Eternal Diva, and Miracle Mask itself) are actually directly connected somehow, and that behind the scenes Descole has been competing against a mysterious militaristic organisation to unlock the secrets of the Azran, which directly leads to Azran Legacy.