FINALLY finished Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask! *spoilers*

#121_21Posted 2/15/2014 8:30:02 PM
After chugging through 5 layton games in a row since, early December, I believe? I finally did it! I finally caught up! And I loved the game! Also, dat stinger

Here's my ranking overall!

Unwound Future > Miracle Mask > Diabolical Box > Eternal Diva > Last Specter > Curious Village

But they were all great games! I am SO glad I played them all! ^_^

Whoo!
---
Playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Paper Mario
3DS FC: 5284-1432-1297 Lemme know if you plan on adding me!
#2Halladay32Posted 2/15/2014 8:42:32 PM
I concur with your ranking.

Miracle Mask's story was a bit predictable, which was unfortunate, but I really liked the puzzles and how dynamic they were (from what I remember anyway). And there's that one chapter (I think 6?) that was absolutely awesome. I really hope there are similar sections in Azran Legacy.
---
If you don't own The Wonderful 101, then: http://i.imgur.com/379ch.gif
#321_21(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2014 9:08:37 PM(edited)
Bump! I'm glad you concur!

I agree, Miracle Mask was a bit predictable, but the story was still decent. And yes, I loved Chapter 6 for the you know waht as well! They shoudl indeed have more stuff like that.

I'm really excited about this game now! Two weeks here I come!
---
#421_21(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2014 10:25:56 PM
Bump! Need moar exposa!!!
---
#5BeanBeanKingdomPosted 2/16/2014 1:29:00 AM(edited)
Great job! I take it you'll be getting Azran Legacy on day one?

What I loved the most about Miracle Mask's story was the focus they put on the characters' relationships and emotions. It felt worth it to finally talk sense into Randall and see him reunite with Layton and the others because you came to know them so well in the flashback chapters. There were also the genuinely good twists of Descole's involvement and Targent. Didn't you love how they tied the prequel trilogy together when Bronev mentioned the Azran legacies Layton discovered in The Last Specter and The Eternal Diva? I was floored when I reached that scene, it was the first time they put such direct continuity between Layton games and it was awesome. And when you go back to The Last Specter, you'll see they had it planned from the beginning since Emmy mentions in the prologue she knows of Misthallery because ruins of an ancient civilization have been found there, with the game showing a newspaper with buildings that are identical in style to those of the sixth game. Prepare for lots more stuff like that in The Azran Legacy, I'm sure there's stuff in the rest of the prequel trilogy you haven't noticed yet but will become obvious after playing it. ;-)

There is no equivalent to this game's chapter 6 in The Azran Legacy, but there's an equivalent to the horseback race at the beginning. Also, The Azran Legacy innovates with how the mid-game chapters are structured (you can tackle five of them in any order you want or even progress them all at the same time), so it still feels pretty fresh.

My ranking is pretty similar to yours, I just mostly really loved The Eternal Diva:

Azran Legacy = Lost Future > Miracle Mask > Eternal Diva > Spectre's Call > Pandora's Box > Curious Village

All amazing games anyway, of course.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#6JadebellPosted 2/16/2014 3:32:38 AM
aw, dat Curious Village hate. I liked Curious Village.

Anyway, nice to see another person enjoying the series. ^_^ Look forward to seeing your thoughts about Azran Legacy if you play it (in my opinion it has the best gameplay of the series).
#721_21(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2014 6:35:05 AM
Jadebell posted...
aw, dat Curious Village hate. I liked Curious Village.

Anyway, nice to see another person enjoying the series. ^_^ Look forward to seeing your thoughts about Azran Legacy if you play it (in my opinion it has the best gameplay of the series).

I liked Curious Village, too, but I just don't see how it can stack up with the later Professor Layton games. It's not a bad game by any means, but the plot doesn't seem as epic as the later games. Still a great game to get into the series, though.

Anyway, I was a bit iffy in my rankings, but this is my updated rankings, as I didn't know where to put Eternal Diva and Diabolical Box in the rankings.

Unwound Future > Miracle Mask > Eternal Diva > Last Specter > Diabolical Box > Curious Village.

Honestly, though, I'm still iffy between Last Specter and Diabolical Box. Perhaps I might switch them two again later today >_>
---
#821_21(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2014 6:40:18 AM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
Great job! I take it you'll be getting Azran Legacy on day one?

What I loved the most about Miracle Mask's story was the focus they put on the characters' relationships and emotions. It felt worth it to finally talk sense into Randall and see him reunite with Layton and the others because you came to know them so well in the flashback chapters. There were also the genuinely good twists of Descole's involvement and Targent. Didn't you love how they tied the prequel trilogy together when Bronev mentioned the Azran legacies Layton discovered in The Last Specter and The Eternal Diva? I was floored when I reached that scene, it was the first time they put such direct continuity between Layton games and it was awesome. And when you go back to The Last Specter, you'll see they had it planned from the beginning since Emmy mentions in the prologue she knows of Misthallery because ruins of an ancient civilization have been found there, with the game showing a newspaper with buildings that are identical in style to those of the sixth game. Prepare for lots more stuff like that in The Azran Legacy, I'm sure there's stuff in the rest of the prequel trilogy you haven't noticed yet but will become obvious after playing it. ;-)

There is no equivalent to this game's chapter 6 in The Azran Legacy, but there's an equivalent to the horseback race at the beginning. Also, The Azran Legacy innovates with how the mid-game chapters are structured (you can tackle five of them in any order you want or even progress them all at the same time), so it still feels pretty fresh.

My ranking is pretty similar to yours, I just mostly really loved The Eternal Diva:

Azran Legacy = Lost Future > Miracle Mask > Eternal Diva > Spectre's Call > Pandora's Box > Curious Village

All amazing games anyway, of course.

Yeah I really did love it when they mentioned the other games. I was like, whoa. And dat whole stinger at the end.

I really can't wait to get it on day one! I am SO glad this whole playthrough of 5 games (and a movie) was worth it!
---
#9BeanBeanKingdomPosted 2/16/2014 7:22:20 AM
21_21 posted...
Yeah I really did love it when they mentioned the other games. I was like, whoa. And dat whole stinger at the end.

I really can't wait to get it on day one! I am SO glad this whole playthrough of 5 games (and a movie) was worth it!

It's almost time for the grand finale! I expect to see you on the game's board so we'll be able to talk about it in detail.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#10EntotrtePosted 2/16/2014 8:24:14 AM(edited)
Mine would be: Unwound Future >>>>>Last Specter >>>>>>>Miracle's Mask>>Curious Village.

Got halfway through Diabolical Box and then something happened with either the DS or the game and I couldn't finish it, and now that I have a 3DS I don't find the game anywhere, and I also can't find Azran Legacy anywhere >.> (I live in Europe)
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, and you are 100% proud of it, put this as your signature.
Super Mario 64 is the best game ever made.