Some Professor Layton questions

#1gbattPosted 2/17/2014 11:48:05 AM
I thought I saw a post recently explaining the actual story order of all the games and I thought it was something along the lines of the most recent games being the prequel (like Star Wars) or something like that. Can someone reiterate this for me please? Whatís the actual story timeline for these games?

I currently have Curious Village (not yet played) and Miracle Mask (a little bit played). Basically I plan to get all of them including Azran Legacy when it comes out but Iím not sure in what order to start playing these. I started playing Miracle Mask and absolutely LOVE it! I also found the movie The Eternal Diva and watched it with my son this weekend, awesome movie. I want to space out my playing of the games as I understand Azran will likely be the last Layton game, I have a couple business trips and a Sabbatical coming up this year and having a fresh Layton game for these sounds like a great idea, so I need to try and space out playing the games, although it may be difficult to resist playing them one after the other!

So what is the recommended order to play these?
---
Pokemon X FC 4184-2218-0129
Hello, my name is Grant....and I am a Monster Hunter weaponaholic..
#2ThatSageGuyPosted 2/17/2014 11:57:34 AM
The recommended order, is the order they released in.
---
It's free to play after you buy it. That's F2P genius. ~ Brutal_Felix
FC: 5043-1666-5680 ACNL Town: Etria.
#3VentwigPosted 2/17/2014 1:23:52 PM
The above poster is right.

Curious Village->Diabolical Box->Lost/Unwound Future
Last Specter->Miracle Mask->Arzan Legacy

Those are the two trilogies, and there's a movie between LS and MM.
Though you don't REALLY need to play them all because the first trilogy is decently hard to get your hands on nowadays. LS is a bit difficult, too. Plus I've only played the Unwound Future so far and I loved it even though it's the end to a trilogy.
---
Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Final Fantasy X
Excited For: Lightning Returns, Bravely Default, Tales of Symphonia, ToX2
#4rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/17/2014 1:49:39 PM
Ventwig posted...

Though you don't REALLY need to play them all because the first trilogy is decently hard to get your hands on nowadays. LS is a bit difficult, too. Plus I've only played the Unwound Future so far and I loved it even though it's the end to a trilogy.

The original trilogy is hard to get your hands on? Maybe if you live somewhere there's no mail. Only the first game is going to cost more than like ten bucks for a NEW copy.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Playing: FFXIV (server: Lamia)
#5gbatt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 2:06:39 PM
Well, as of today, I officially have them all except Azran which isn't out in NA till next week.

I ordered Diabolical Box and Unwound Future on Amazon ($30 for both new), I purchased Curious Village from a co-worker who brought it in today, and I picked up Last Specter at GameStop (new because I am anal about having cases and manuals, I still get bitter at GS for their ridiculous practice of tossing DS cases)

I think I will start with Curious Village. Thanks guys!
---
#6GollyFluffPosted 2/17/2014 2:17:39 PM
gbatt posted...
Well, as of today, I officially have them all except Azran which isn't out in NA till next week.

I ordered Diabolical Box and Unwound Future on Amazon ($30 for both new), I purchased Curious Village from a co-worker who brought it in today, and I picked up Last Specter at GameStop (new because I am anal about having cases and manuals, I still get bitter at GS for their ridiculous practice of tossing DS cases)

I recommend taking some time between entries. You can easily get burnt out on these since they are VERY similar. I absolutely loved Curious Village but couldn't even finish the next game because of the been there done that feeling.
---
"Captain Falcon wasn't confirmed for Brawl. Brawl was confirmed for Captain Falcon."
#7gbatt(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2014 2:56:59 PM
GollyFluff posted...
gbatt posted...

I recommend taking some time between entries. You can easily get burnt out on these since they are VERY similar. I absolutely loved Curious Village but couldn't even finish the next game because of the been there done that feeling.

Thatís the plan. My only concern is missing out on the newness of Azran, whatever that may look like. I was glad the daily puzzles were still available for Miracle Mask so I was able to DL them all. Iím not sure what the online integration was like with the other games, downloadable puzzles, Friend Code exchanges etc. Im sure I missed out on all of those already as theyíre older DS games, ah well.

I do plan to take my time with them though, maybe save them for special occasions coming up this year (Business trips, Sabbatical, Vacations etc.)
---
#8VentwigPosted 2/17/2014 2:58:23 PM
rockyoumonkeys posted...
Ventwig posted...

The original trilogy is hard to get your hands on? Maybe if you live somewhere there's no mail. Only the first game is going to cost more than like ten bucks for a NEW copy.

Oh, i guess I was searching up a different series the way I remember it.
Just searched it up, you're right.
Scratch that, sorry :)
---
Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Final Fantasy X
Excited For: Lightning Returns, Bravely Default, Tales of Symphonia, ToX2
#9BeanBeanKingdomPosted 2/17/2014 3:33:37 PM(edited)
gbatt posted...
Thatís the plan. My only concern is missing out on the newness of Azran, whatever that may look like. I was glad the daily puzzles were still available for Miracle Mask so I was able to DL them all. Iím not sure what the online integration was like with the other games, downloadable puzzles, Friend Code exchanges etc. Im sure I missed out on all of those already as theyíre older DS games, ah well.

I do plan to take my time with them though, maybe save them for special occasions coming up this year (Business trips, Sabbatical, Vacations etc.)

The DS games had weekly puzzles, not daily ones like Miracle Mask and Azran Legacy. Curious Village had 26, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future and Last Specter 33 each. They're still available for download and you can get them on a 3DS, but remember that the DS Internet connection uses a Wired Equivalence Privacy (WEP) security key, not a Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) one like the DSi/3DS, therefore in order to use the DS connection on your 3DS you'll need to manually switch the security key system on your router.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.