Is portability truly worth giving up the better version of Smash Bros?

#1Ronaldo_of_HellPosted 2/23/2014 5:23:28 AM
Worse Graphics (duh, it's not like it's a fair complaint, but it's true. Look at the ammount of detail in the console stages, and then look at the 3ds ones)

Worse controls (before you pull the "how do you know it?" card, know that there is nothing like the C-stick in the 3DS. This is already a huge con because giving other actions to the C-stick allowed some incredible things in Brawl, and surely if we had that option for Melee...)

Worse multiplayer (you need 4 3DSs. Might need 4 carts too for the complete experience, since it's possible download play only sends the starting characters, stages and modes)

Might not be be able to handle everything correctly (sakurai said they were having problems with characters like the Ice CLimbers. Imagine a 4-payer online match where everyone is an IC or Rosalina? Lag for sure. might not even need online for that)

Worse Camera (screen is tiny, so everything will be tiny)

Worse sound quality (compare the wii and 3ds versions of DKCR. imagine how much the jump form wii to u improves things.

Worse casual stages (Because the 3ds can't handle too much. Notice how most of the stages for the 3DS game are very tame when compared to the wii u stages)

Worse retro stages (Sakurai said he was worried that bringing back Brawl's stages would be too much for the 3ds, so we will either get the simpler stages like 75m or we will get nothing)

Worse durability (Circle pad and shoulder buttons can't take as much abuse as a GC/CC/CCP controllers can)

Worse competitive scene (read "Worse multyplayer" and "worse durability". Though this version probly will have more neutral stages.)

Portability seems to be the one and only pro to the 3DS version. And let's be frank, Smash is a multiplayer game. Most of the time you won't be able to play with real people (you will be busy with school/work, and the chances of finding people to fight with on public transports is slim). CPUs are weak, so the experience outside a place with other 3DSs or online will be just average instead of the uber-awesome we are used to.

If you haven't already, buy a wii u. Why? Mario Kart and Smash. Those two ALONE can kill easily 1000 hours of gameplay. And imagine how much more time other gems such as Mario 3D world, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Wonderful 101 will make you waste, with a smile in your face?

Frankly, i will have both versions with me, but i probably will never touch the 3Ds version (be it on my home or outside) after i 100% the game.... against boring CPUs.
#2AnclationPosted 2/23/2014 5:26:12 AM
I'm not giving up anything, I'm getting both version.
---
We Endorse The Creation of Majora's Mask 3D:
https://www.facebook.com/OperationMoonfall
#3guedesbrawlPosted 2/23/2014 5:26:45 AM
this version will only end up siphoning sales from the wii u game, and siphoning sales for the wii u itself.

i made some polls, though, and it seems that at least in Gfaqqs, most people are getting both versions.
---
"Clones are bad!" "Tier Lists don't exist!" ... really now? >_>
#4pikachupwnagePosted 2/23/2014 5:28:31 AM
"Worse retro stages (Sakurai said he was worried that bringing back Brawl's stages would be too much for the 3ds, so we will either get the simpler stages like 75m or we will get nothing)"

I don't recall him ever saying that.
---
Let me tell you two useful pieces of information. One: This is memetic. Two: This is a mutation.
#5guedesbrawlPosted 2/23/2014 5:30:08 AM
pikachupwnage posted...
"Worse retro stages (Sakurai said he was worried that bringing back Brawl's stages would be too much for the 3ds, so we will either get the simpler stages like 75m or we will get nothing)"

I don't recall him ever saying that.

oh, i remember. he was saying he wasn't sure if the 3Ds was going to make Brawls stages justice, probably refering to the ammount of detail and better graphics.

i call BS. Mario Kart and Dk proved the 3ds's worth
---
"Clones are bad!" "Tier Lists don't exist!" ... really now? >_>
#6OrangeCrush980Posted 2/23/2014 5:32:35 AM
All I know is that I'm not a buying a Wii U for SSB4
---
'It's a widely-known fact that GameFAQs is filled with normal, well-adjusted people who are an accurate representation of society as a whole' - cruelbird
#7yomomma0919Posted 2/23/2014 5:35:06 AM
OrangeCrush980 posted...

---
3DS FC: 0533-4875-0540 PokemonY IGN: Serena /NNID/VITA PSN:Leek0919
Cloning reference: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000458-pokemon-x-y-trading/68228469
#8GunntyrPosted 2/23/2014 5:37:04 AM
yomomma0919 posted...
OrangeCrush980 posted...
#9GL10Posted 2/23/2014 5:40:04 AM
Why not both?
---
Before you complain about the lag, keep in mind that Jesus had to wait three days to respawn!
#10arvilinoPosted 2/23/2014 5:53:35 AM
Gun Gun Gatta posted...
yomomma0919 posted...
OrangeCrush980 posted...

Then get it for Mario Kart 8, or Pikmin 3.
---
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995