Importing a Japanese 3DS, shipping?

#1asteriskePosted 3/28/2014 6:37:30 PM
I preordered a Japanese 3DS XL off of a site (the Persona Q one to be more precise!), I was wondering if anybody else had prior experiences with importing because I`m debating on which shipping service to use, EMS or airmail/SAL. (and what you guys might have used in the past and your experiences like customs or whatnot)

Thanks! :'D
#2SagadegoPosted 3/28/2014 7:03:06 PM
amazon.com sells a Japanese 3ds xl for 219$ reg. model. aka non special ver.
---
Now Playing:
Bravely Default, (3ds/ds) Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc/Muramasa Rebirth, DynastyWarriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete. (ps vita)
#3GI_TiPosted 3/28/2014 7:12:26 PM
asteriske posted...
I preordered a Japanese 3DS XL off of a site (the Persona Q one to be more precise!), I was wondering if anybody else had prior experiences with importing because I`m debating on which shipping service to use, EMS or airmail/SAL. (and what you guys might have used in the past and your experiences like customs or whatnot)

Where are you importing too?

Thanks! :'D
#4asteriske(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 7:59:16 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5asteriske(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 8:01:26 PM
GL_Ti: I`m importing to Canada
#6irulethegalaxyPosted 3/28/2014 8:08:41 PM(edited)
SAL = surface shipping, expect it to take 2-3 weeks. Cheaper option.
EMS = express mail, anywhere from 2-5 days. More expensive, but much safer and faster.

YMMV a bit on the time depending on the country you are importing into; Europe often has delays of a couple weeks and will most likely collect hefty customs fees. US customs clearance is very speedy (often same day, longest I've ever waited is 3 weekdays), and no customs fees are collected.

ETA some CA info; generally fairly speedy customs clearance, but you may be subject to customs fees, which depending on the type/value of the item can range up to 40% of the item value (according to my CA friends).

FWIW, SAL is maddeningly slow; pick EMS.
---
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976
#7PuddingchanPosted 3/28/2014 9:35:55 PM(edited)
Custom fees and taxes may apply, better check that one out.

Sorry, screw the airmail suggestion. It's better to go EMS for this one due to the insurance it has on your Japanese 3DS LL if the package ever goes missing.

(Don't pick airmail or SAL because the max insurance coverage is only 6000 yen. Since yours is a limited edition console, it's worth more than that.)
---
My FC : 3496 9827 6089
Rock safari, nosepass corsola shuckle
#8GI_TiPosted 3/28/2014 10:02:04 PM
I hear using Fedex avoids customs fees.
#9irulethegalaxyPosted 3/28/2014 10:07:55 PM
GI_Ti posted...
I hear using Fedex avoids customs fees.

All international packages are subject to customs fees. The most important factor is what the seller marks as the value. Gift allowances range in about the $40-$50 range for most countries, after that, if your country collects customs fees, you're likely to get hit.

US residents are lucky; we don't have customs fees on personal items. I got a $1500 package from Japan and paid not a single cent in customs.
---
Friend Code: 5155-2976-5976
#101212-1Posted 3/28/2014 10:14:10 PM
That's funny, I was just about to post a similar topic a minute ago, except in my case, I have ordered a limited edition 3DS LL from Nippon Yasan, and I noticed it says if you go with Fed Ex or some other kind of shipping I can't remember the name of, then it will ship with the Lithium Battery. I accidentally chose EMS though, and I am wondering two things.

1. Is there a way to change shipping speed/cancel my order? I cannot seem to find the option to do so on their site. I have sent a email to them asking them about this, so hopefully they will respond soon, but if their is another way to do this, that would be handy.

2. Assuming that the 3DS ships, and because of the shipping method I chose, does not come with the batteries, where can I buy these from and how much does it cost? Also, what is required of me to put the battery in? I just take the screws off the back, right?

Someone please help me with this. Buying a 3DS imported is not exactly cheap, so I want to make sure that everything goes alright.