God I'm such an idiot+why did Nintendo do it like that...

#1OmniImmortalPosted 4/4/2014 3:08:34 PM
Basically, formatted my 3ds for reasons that don't really matter, was just trying to see something/get something fixed, reading the description I figured if I took the SD card out before reformatting I could still reuse it afterwards w/ little trouble, hahahaha. So now, just learning that there is some sort of encrypt by nintendo, all my previous data is useless garbage. That's about 20 or so hours lost on Hometown Story, 100+ hours lost from FE: Awakening, maybe 30 hours on Unchained Blades, 15/20 hours from phoenix wright (which ain't so much of a big deal at least...), some 10-20 hours on Code of princess, bout 10-15 hours lost of Zenovia... At least that's it... I think.

Ughhhhhhh now I just feel so like... I don't even.
#2so64Posted 4/4/2014 3:11:50 PM
Call Nintendo if you are able to. They are fairly helpful and lenient if the anecdotal evidence on this board is anything to go by(since people have done similar things to what you did and Nintendo was able to assist them and restore access to their games.)
---
I am insane. Somethings I say may not make sense. Please take heed. www.brokencontrollers.com Vidi terra novum et caelum 3DS FC:5327-0905-8783
#3robm1052Posted 4/4/2014 4:10:28 PM(edited)
If you copy all your files onto a computer and move them onto another card they work when you plug them back in (have to do this for a system transfer). In what way is it not working?

Edit - just realised you said you formatted the 3DS not the SD card. I think effectively you've started a new account, so you're old one is locked away, but as above poster said you might be able to contact nintendo to get it back. Did you have a club nintendo account linked before you formatted?
#4SalogyPosted 4/4/2014 5:19:36 PM
You will never get your game saves back. That is what happens when you reformat something. There is no tool that recovers formatted data on a 3DS especially since you have different licenses now for all your games.

Even if you did pop out your memory card, you won't be able to use it. You can only use data from a SD card if it originated from your system. Reformatting makes it so it isn't from your system anymore. No idea why you even reformatted in the first place. That is usually a last resort fix.
---
"In truth, they haven't been allowed for ages, we've just never enforced the rule" -SineNomine on presigs
#5SaginaimPosted 4/4/2014 9:57:17 PM
Doesn't the system warn you like twenty times that this will happen?
#6Muddy_ApePosted 4/5/2014 1:07:32 AM
Saginaim posted...
Doesn't the system warn you like twenty times that this will happen?

Not really twenty times but you are warned, so basically yes.
---
NNID: GDoobah
http://i.imgur.com/6qxWz.jpg
#7Mugenx_xPosted 4/5/2014 1:22:18 AM
Damn... What's done is done.
#8The Blob2000Posted 4/5/2014 1:36:11 AM
At least you didn't delete your NNID.
---
NNID: TendaShy
Parking meters! And you're walking around! Ha ha ha That's so funny.
#9Thunderbird8Posted 4/5/2014 3:16:06 AM
There is no way to recover the data. Formatting the 3DS will change the ID of the folder it creates on the SD card (and likely how it encrypts the game and save data stored therein), and I highly doubt that Nintendo has any way of transferring data in this situation (given the number of times you get warned before formatting, and the fact that the button's appearance on the final step is delayed).

Edit - just realised you said you formatted the 3DS not the SD card. I think effectively you've started a new account, so you're old one is locked away, but as above poster said you might be able to contact nintendo to get it back. Did you have a club nintendo account linked before you formatted?

Account-wise, nothing happens in a format, though if a NNID is linked, it will be unlinked and must be relinked to access any digital games that were previously tied to it. If no NNID was linked, you can just hop back onto the eShop after a format and redownload anything you had before it. No new account of any sort is created (if no NNID is linked, the only way a new internal account is made is if the existing system eShop account is deleted, which removes all past purchase history and digital games).
#10ar4757Posted 4/5/2014 4:52:54 AM
This just happened to me too the other day. All so I could unlink my nnid to download conception 2 demo from eshop as I'm 16 and put my real bday for nnid (never again)
Then said i need a nnid to DL demos on eshop.

There goes smt iv save. Well, it wasn't much fun anyway
---
3DS: 0619-3452-8910