Why is Nintendo doing so well with handhelds, but not with the Wii U?

#41WrestlinFanPosted 4/5/2014 5:24:26 PM
Everyone was sucked into the buzz of the "true" next gen.

Not enough games targeted to mature gamers.

Tacked-on innovation instead of the genuine thing.
---
"Optimism doesn't change the facts just what you're gonna see."
R.I.P Razieru. The apologists and fanboys were too much for one mortal man.
#42mcsmellingtonPosted 4/5/2014 11:36:29 PM
I've had one since launch and can say that I reckon it's because it's simply a crap console.

Nothing about it feel "next" (now current) gen, and I don't think I'm the only one to think that as hardly any news outlets or podcasts refer to it as being in the same generation as the Sony and MS consoles.

The user interface is slow, clunky and cumbersome yo navigate, the social functions are segregated weirdly and aren't really of any use anyway, and obviously it's not getting many third party games, and from the way things are going that won't change anytime soon.

The Gamepad turned out to be useless, not even Nintendo know what to do with the thing. The only genuinely good use is off tv play, which is hardly inspired.

The name definitely caused confusion, especially because Nintendo are the Kings of peripherals and add ons, the name just sounds like another for the Wii.
---
GT: McPoo Friend Code: 0146-9590-6349
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#43Emerald_MeliosPosted 4/7/2014 4:50:46 PM
WrestlinFan posted...

To be fair, a truly mature gamer would play something like Shin Megami Tensei IV, which isn't even available on any current console.
#44IngExBeinPosted 4/7/2014 4:56:53 PM
Emerald_Melios posted...
WrestlinFan posted...

To be fair, a truly mature gamer would play something like Shin Megami Tensei IV, which isn't even available on any current console.

And then they'd see that they should go back to proper SMTs.
#45kakashik99992Posted 4/7/2014 5:12:18 PM
http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1534/15343359/2371910-pokemon-together-pokemon-wallpaper-dektop-background.jpg
---
My pokemon run http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/150
FC:2638 0648 9544 Nick Arthur/Kashim
#46Emerald_MeliosPosted 4/7/2014 5:21:42 PM
IngExBein posted...
Emerald_Melios posted...
WrestlinFan posted...

And then they'd see that they should go back to proper SMTs.

My point is, most "mature" games on consoles should be called "immature" games.
#47SlaynPosted 4/7/2014 5:27:40 PM
Only handhelds I have owned were the original Gameboy, a PSP, and now a 3ds. After hearing so much about the 3ds, I had to get one. The Wii U? Nothing enticing me at all to get it, except for the price. There are a few good games, but no system sellers. A Zelda remake, a new Mario.... meh.
---
You can spend $400 on a console and $400 on a cheap PC, or you can spend $800 to build your own and have the best of both worlds.
#48WrestlinFanPosted 4/7/2014 8:22:19 PM(edited)
Emerald_Melios posted...
WrestlinFan posted...

And? Why are you making assumptions of my definition of mature games?

And a "truly mature" gamer would play whatever the hell he thought was fun. Regardless of internet stereotypes.
---
"Optimism doesn't change the facts just what you're gonna see."
R.I.P Razieru. The apologists and fanboys were too much for one mortal man.
#49Lelouch71Posted 4/7/2014 11:20:17 PM(edited)
kaliskonig posted...
Because there is no other competition. 3rd parties have no choice to go to nintendo to cater to the none "Mobile" handheld market. What is wrong with Nintendo's console fronts is simply that the competition is much more welcoming and caters to the needs of the 3rd party developer more.

This

Nintendo is pretty much the king of the mountain when it comes to handheld systems. They virtually have no real competition beyond smart phones. Consoles wise the market is a lot more cutthroat and competitive. If you don't have the games (or rather third party support) you are pretty much trash to the majority. Not to mention Sony has a far better track record when it comes to consoles. They dominated two gens in the role and it looks like the PS4 will put them back on top again as the market leader. Even then the PS3 still did well despite it flopping the first years of its life. MS created a good market for itself with the 360.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#50Megaman OmegaPosted 4/8/2014 1:41:02 AM
vnisanian01 posted...
Why is Nintendo doing so well with handhelds, but not with the Wii U?

- Releasing the system in 2012 and not having any significant games on it until 2014
- Making it barely any more powerful than the PS360, ensuring that Western developers will ignore it
- Absolutely no effort getting third party games on it. It's not even getting most PS360 multiplats.
- Driving up the price by ~$100 with a Gamepad that nobody asked for
- Calling it the "Wii U" for maximum consumer confusion / alienating
- Trying to cater to casuals, who now have their mobile devices
---
LOL at all the whiners and trolls. They know Vita tv and new model will kill all competition. Festering wounds for the Nintendrones by the gallons. - karissa1