Last dime I give Nintendo. Never again.

#1Northern_RosePosted 4/27/2014 6:23:52 PM
Never again will I support Nintendo, give them money, buy another system, no more DLC, I'm done.

My 3DS XL breaks by normal use. I opened it and it broke it. I didn't drop it or get it wet or anything like that. I just tried to use it. It's a release day XL so my warranty has run out a long time ago. Thinking it's just a loose wire or something because it turned off when I took it out of sleep mode. With the warranty expired. I figured I had nothing to lose. I opened it up to see if I could fix it. I could not. I call Nintendo to get it fixed but they won't fix it because I opened it more than a year after the warranty expired. I am willing to pay them to fix it and they won't. They tell me to buy another one. I say I don't want to spend another $200 and find out all my digital content is gone. They assure me that I won't lose it. People on gamefaqs tell me I just got to call Nintendo to get them to transfer it to a new system.

So I go out and buy another brand new XL. I buy a bigger SD card because my ladt one I had used almost all of the 4GB. All told it costs me about $250 after tax. So I take it home. Call Nintendo up again and tell them I got a new XL, can they do the transfer now. They remove my NID from my old system so I can put it on my new one. Finally I get it charged up and I enter my NID and go to the eShop. Theres all my games waiting for me to download them again. I spend the better part of the day downloading everything. Sadly I lose all records, all progress, game saves, everything. I got to start every digital game over again from the beginning.

Something is missing. My friends list is empty. I go to Mii Plaza and it's empty, 300+ people gone, all my achievements gone, all my pictures and picture pieces gone, find Mii completely reset, all my hats gone. Just over 2 years of Mii Plaza data is gone for good.

I call Nintendo again and ask them how to transfer my stuff like they said they would. I am told only eShop downloads are conected to your NID. Your friends list and Mii Plaza and Mii's are saved on the SD card. I say great how do I get it back. You got to do a system transfer. I say great how do we do that. He tells me first I got to send in my old system to be fixed so it can run the transfer program. I say ya but you won't fix it. He tells me that a data transfer is different as they just need to run the transfer program. So I got to send my broken 3DS, old SD card as well as my brand new never been used 3DS and my new SD card. I got to pay a small fortune in shipping as I got to send it from Canada. I got to pay for the data transfer. He tells me that there is no guarantee that they can even run the program. And I would be without my new system for up to 1 month.

I tell him 2 years of Mii Plaza data hurts but I'm not going to gamble that they can even transfer it. Thats over $100 gamble and I got nothing to do for a month. I ask him why. He says because the SD card is directly linked to the system to prevent piracy. I asked if Nintendo is really scared if I copy my friends list and give it to someone else. All content on the SD card can only be accessed, read or transferred by the system the card was used on. I asked if they built something so they themselves could get around this security. Apparently Nintendo can't even get to the data on an SD card. I asked about a transfer program on my PC and I could use a card reader, nope, asked if I could use my new systems transfer program, nope. I asked if all of the files were protected to prevent piracy or just the game files. Could I use a PC and just copy my friends list or Mii data, nope. I asked if I could trick it to thinking it was used on the new system, could I use my PC to change the serial numbers so I can unlock the data, anything at all I can do to get at my data, nope.
---
We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.
3DS FC: 4210-5381-4799
#2Northern_Rose(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 6:25:55 PM
Thinking this sucks but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. So I put in SMT IV and check on my DLC thinking you save it to the game, nope. I got to re download all my DLC 1 at a time. I don't got to repay for em thank god. But this is going to take all night long getting everything back. Thats when I noticed it. I can't re download the DLC for DOA:D or Samurai Warriors Chronicles. It's gone for good. But then I start to notice I'm missing a lot more. 2 years of street pass data is gone as well. Anything I ever got from anyone since I got my first 3DS is gone. Weapons, car parts and ghost data in MK7, gems in Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Resident Evil Revelations, Bravely Default, SMT IV, anything and everything I ever got from a street pass is gone.

It's not gone through. I got it right here on a cheap little SD card I just have no way at all whatsoever to access the data or transfer it to a new system. If you buy a new system and transfer you are safe. If it breaks from normal use you may get to keep your digital purchases, but you will lose EVERYTHING ELSE all street pass items and data, EVERYTHING including the limited DLC for older games like SWC and DOAD.

My new XL is 2 days old and I have never played a game on it. I am so disgusted with Nintendo locking the SD cards and needing 2 working systems to retrieve the data. They can't even unlock it themselves if I send them the SD card. Suddenly not losing my digital games really don't sound so good anymore. Mario Kart is crap with all my good parts removed, weapons in Samurai Warriors and Kid Icarus.

If I would have known how much really got saved on the SD card and how if your system breaks you lose it all but the digital games. I would have NEVER spent the money buying a new system to replace the broken one. I would have just sold my games and bought a Vita or something else. I am seriously considering selling the new XL and all my games now. To have all that stuff, 2 years of data on the SD card in perfect condition and it's completely useless. They can't even get at it.

Enjoy the last $200 I will ever give you Nintendo. Your system breaks and I lose years of data on a card that works just fine. I can't pay you to fix my old system. You won't even pay the shipping to take my new system away from me right after buying it. You locked yourself out of your own data. Never again Nintendo, Never again. Vita cards may be overpriced but if your system breaks the data on the cards work just fine in another system. Nintendo can't even get at their own Mii data, what a joke.
---
We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.
3DS FC: 4210-5381-4799
#3Ace-of-ClubsPosted 4/27/2014 6:26:06 PM
This topic will end in anger, bitter flames, and tears. Calling it now.
---
The Artist Formerly Known As Mottman.
#4DESMONDmoonbearPosted 4/27/2014 6:29:10 PM
#videogames

---
THE END.
#5CanibusRtJPosted 4/27/2014 6:29:42 PM
Some of the stuff you're surprised about has been readily available on this board and online in general.

Yeah Nintendo's online infrastructure is ass (and will most likely be that way forever...anyone thinking otherwise is fooling themselves), but you use it with caution knowing the risks.
---
I was created by intelligent design
You are merely a descendant of the unmodified
-'Bis
#6Gavin_RozeePosted 4/27/2014 6:30:17 PM
It's simple, send the broken XL for repair, or send both for them to do a transfer.

When you receive it/them back, you put your SD card with all your stuff on in the repaired system/newly transferred to system.
---
Wii U Nintendo Network ID: "Gavintendo".
3DS Friend Code: 3625 8479 9870.
#7RS_YELARAKAPosted 4/27/2014 6:34:31 PM
Why don't you just return your 3DS you just bought and move on?
---
GT - YELARAKA (Member of RS Squad)
2DS FC - Coming Soon
#8AngelWithaHatPosted 4/27/2014 6:34:45 PM
That really sucks TC.
#9ponyseizuresPosted 4/27/2014 6:36:59 PM
TC, I'm sorry you feel that way.
It's very unfortunate.
---
DB > CV > AL > LS > UF > MM
"Call her Elena cuz she gon' be eatin' my master flesh"
#10mahgah91Posted 4/27/2014 6:37:21 PM
This is news to you? Nintendo has had a s*** online infrastructure since the N64DD failed. They decided to play hipster, and instead of following the more sensible trends that Microsoft and Sony were, they thought the Wii doesn't need a comprehensive OS or online system. Unfortunately the casual gamer boom that made the Wii so successful reinforced Nintendo's logic on that, and they were too short sighted to realize that casual gamers aren't a sustainable demographic. Gaming is a shallow hobby for them, and they have a short attention span.

Now the gimmick of motion control and party games has fizzled back to the niche status they were before the Wii blew up, except Nintendo thought they could ride the momentum of the Wii and DS into their next gen consoles without taking steps to improve online.

It took a disastrous eShop launch, huge criticism from the industry and its peers and loud fan demand for Nintendo to decide that creating a comprehensive, and accessible way to connect online was important.

The NID isn't something that's native to the 3DS or Wii U. It was an afterthought, so they can't just slide in compatibility with the NID for every feature on these systems without reworks.