Soul Hackers vs Strange Journey?

#1nazacuckooPosted 4/28/2014 1:22:07 AM
I'm looking for a new SMT game and I've decided on one of these... Which is better? Which has the better story?
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag: NazaCageRatt | VITA PSN: Nazacuckoo
Please, someone, anyone, release SMT IV and Persona Q in Europe!
#2Wario_manPosted 4/28/2014 1:57:44 AM
I've only played Strange Journey and its pretty cool. I was thinking of Soul Hackers when it came to the eShop but its close to like $70 or something. No way.
---
If someone is stupid enough to buy it there will always be someone smart enough to sell it.
#3legendarylemurPosted 4/28/2014 2:13:08 AM
Strange Journey... Not even a competition. Soul Hackers is extremely dated, and its story isn't really something to write home about. It has some very interesting Native American Gods theme going, but does it make you really think? Strange Journey presents constant moral dilemmas, muddles the line between humans and demons, and makes you challenge established beliefs. If you're talking story, I beg of you to go SJ instead of Soul Hackers... Gameplay-wise, SJ is far more superior, too. There's really no reason to ever pick SH over SJ.
---
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the British..." - Yami
RIP in peace my blog. thank you.
#4Black_AssassinPosted 4/28/2014 2:22:09 AM
I've only played SJ but it was one of my favorite games on the DS and my favorite MegaTen game as well. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind first person dungeon crawlers.
---
lowercase
#5nazacuckoo(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 2:29:20 AM
Well, looks like I'll go with Strange Journey. Thanks for the replies :)
BTW, does Strange Journey have good music?
---
#6Black_AssassinPosted 4/28/2014 2:41:18 AM
The music's quite unique but very fitting IMO.

I loved it, but shame it recycles a few tracks later in the game.
---
lowercase
#7legendarylemurPosted 4/28/2014 2:46:39 AM
The soundtrack is very interesting. Expect a whole lot of demonic chants and bombastic orchestra. I admit... they could have gotten more tracks, but this was a DS game. Can't quite list many DS games with a lot of soundtracks
---
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the British..." - Yami
RIP in peace my blog. thank you.
#8GREEN00Posted 4/28/2014 3:25:24 AM
Strange Journey

Play Nocturne first if you haven't.
---
Pokemon X FC: 2105-8656-2510
My collection, http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/GREEN00/games/owned?platform=0
#9nazacuckoo(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2014 3:26:35 AM
GREEN00 posted...
Play Nocturne first if you haven't.

That won't be possible, I don't have the consoles to play it.
---
#10GeekyDadPosted 4/28/2014 4:02:14 AM
I prefer the vibe, music and characters of Soul Hackers, but Strange Journey is still the better game. It's a tight package, more of the hybrid survival-horror-RPG the mainline games (yes, I know it's technically not a numbered SMT) are known for.

And yes, SH is dated, but it's still an enjoyable game for fans of the series. Can't lose with either one, but SJ is definitely an awesome SMT game.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"