Did you truly enjoy SMT IV? (spoiler)

#21PKRockin531Posted 7/9/2014 7:32:35 AM
I got about 30 ~ 35 hours in and absolutely couldn't finish the game. Up until then I just felt like some guy running errands for anyone and everyone I ran into just to progress to another errand. I stopped when some generic samurai got kidnapped and I had to go kill some priestess or whatever for some guy in a suit.

Even if it got better it would have to be a real masterpiece for me to forget about those 30 hours.

For an SMT game there was barely any difficulty either. It fell off a cliff after Minotaur and never came back, so there was no incentive for me to continue story or gameplay-wise. I didn't buy any DLC either.

It had nice presentation, voices, graphics, all of that at least.
---
www.youtube.com/user/PKLucas531
#22mhayes86Posted 7/9/2014 7:36:43 AM
I loved it, but the neutral path was annoying to achieve, and I hated the Tokyo map; particularly because it would automatically adjust itself after a battle.
#23krazykatt3Posted 7/9/2014 9:30:41 AM
I haven't finished it yet (62 hours in about level 73)
I felt like it was a little slow at first, but then every sessions turned into at least 4-8 hours of gameplay. Kinda feel bad for people having problems with the neutral path since that's what I got doing a blind playthrough (I think I almost got law, but made a few heavily chaotic decisions a bit before the path split)

But yay, I've only got like 3 or 4 quests until I reach number 1 in the rankings and can revive masakado :D
#24KGTriggerPosted 7/9/2014 9:34:10 AM
I liked it until every battle just boiled down to a race to see who would deal out more damage first. It felt like I had to demolish the enemy team in the first couple turns or I would wind up losing. The lack of a defense stat also bothers me, and probably added to the first problem.

Great story/setting, animations and everything else. Just the battles become complete garbage.
---
PSN: PewPewPew809
3DS FC: 0344-9295-6089, pm for steam ID
#25Plasma EXEPosted 7/9/2014 10:02:48 AM
I enjoyed it a lot. I still like Nocturne more though. The Tokyo world map was a bit obnoxious though, really hard to tell where you could/couldn't move and quests would have been better if they had quest markers.
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336. Friend Safari: Tyrogue/Sawk/Meditite
#26supremeblasterPosted 7/9/2014 10:59:39 AM
It's brilliant. The only problem I had was navigation, but I kinda enjoyed that too as it was something commonly experienced in classic RPGs.
#27supremeblasterPosted 7/9/2014 11:01:43 AM
krazykatt3 posted...
I haven't finished it yet (62 hours in about level 73)
I felt like it was a little slow at first, but then every sessions turned into at least 4-8 hours of gameplay. Kinda feel bad for people having problems with the neutral path since that's what I got doing a blind playthrough (I think I almost got law, but made a few heavily chaotic decisions a bit before the path split)

But yay, I've only got like 3 or 4 quests until I reach number 1 in the rankings and can revive masakado :D

Same here. Got neutral just going in blind. I didn't even think about what decisions seemed more lawish or chaosish; just went with what felt right and ended up with that.
#28vanguard29Posted 7/9/2014 11:42:21 AM
i love both smt iv and persona 4. two of my most favorite games.
---
"If we want to defeat evil, we have to unite against platitudes." - Viridi
#nintendoomination
#29halfdemonPosted 7/9/2014 12:37:53 PM
It was ok. It felt very by the numbers. The Law vs Chaos theme was kinda boring and has been done way better in the other SMT games. Except for the White ending, all the other ending are terrible and are nothing new. I enjoyed the game, but wish it was more ambitious. Oh, and the map system was the absolute worst. Why couldn't the game just mark where I need to go, or at least do it when I am on a mission? It would save a lot of time.
#30therandomguy1Posted 7/9/2014 12:52:50 PM
After beating the game and getting the neutral ending, I'd have to say that it was pretty good, just under Nocturne which is my favorite SMT game.