Which version of the system should I get? 2DS, 3DS or 3DS XL? (Concerns inside)

#1Epic_McDudePosted 7/12/2014 8:37:14 AM
Should I get a 2DS, 3DS or 3DS XL? - Results (337 votes)
2DS
12.76% (43 votes)
3DS
15.43% (52 votes)
3DS XL
71.81% (242 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm looking to buy either a 2DS, 3DS or 3DS XL within the next few months.

Problem is, I don't know which to get, nor the which has the best advantages or pros and cons due to conflicting information I've read.

The 2DS is the cheapest and would be the easiest on my wallet, which I like, but looks uncomfortable to hold and play. I've also heard that it has the smallest screen of the three.

I haven't heard too many bad things at all about the regular 3DS, except for having a small screen, but still bigger than the 2DS screen. For the record, I've played a regular 3DS before when I borrowed my friend's 3DS for a short while to beat "Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds". (Great game!) I enjoyed it when I used it. (I didn't really care for the 3D feature, though and didn't use it often. It DID look good on "Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds" though, I admit.)

What I mainly had my eye on was the 3DS XL due to the bigger screen, which I liked the most about it (Yes, I know that's a weird thing to prefer for a portable system), but here's the thing: I've heard that in comparison to the 2DS and 3DS, the graphics look worse and blurry on the bigger screen due to supposedly being stretched. The screen quality of the 3DS XL was my main concern about it. (Well, that and it's pretty pricey, but I don't mind saving up for the extra bit.)

I'm hoping that some of you can tell me more and possibly clear up my concerns with reliable information and sources about them, as well as tell me about your own experiences with each. Perhaps this will come in handy for other newcomers like me as well.

Thanks in advance.
---
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
#2Gavin_RozeePosted 7/12/2014 8:44:11 AM
For me, 3DS is the classiest looking, has the best 3D, and is most portable.

XL is my favourite, because matte finish, comfortable, better battery life, bigger screens.

2DS is just okay.
---
Wii U Nintendo Network ID: "Gavintendo".
3DS Friend Code: 3625 8479 9870.
#3SaraAB87Posted 7/12/2014 8:44:56 AM
3DS - The top screen WILL scratch itself.. terrible battery life.. using screen protectors fixes the problem

3DSXL - Can feel cheap at times.. the Pokemon X&Y version that i have, the bottom plate lifts up on the side without warning. I think this happens to all 3DS XL's. Pixelated screens and lower quality sound bother some people. I advise trying it out on a friend or relative's system before you buy. I have this system and the pixel problem and sound problems do not bother me at all. Best battery life of all 3 systems.

2DS - I wouldn't buy, not portable, screens will be exposed so a case is required, which means you could probably get the regular 3DS for the same price as a 2DS + required case. I hear the touch screen is less responsive than other models.
---
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 3926-4622-6128
#4Firelion6593Posted 7/12/2014 8:45:46 AM
The 2DS is actually very comfortable to hold, and the screens are as big as the OG 3DS (or at least they should be).
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#5AeruonPosted 7/12/2014 8:47:39 AM
Pixalated and blurry images on the 3DS XL? I don't really see iit.
---
Steam/NNID: Aeruon; 3DS FC: 1891-1220-5724
Gotta go fast!
#6corex3dPosted 7/12/2014 8:48:40 AM
I actually think the 2ds is much more comfortable to hold than the og 3ds the l and r buttons are much better on the 2ds also imo and I'm pretty sure the screens are the exact same size on the 2ds and the og 3ds
#7stargazer64Posted 7/12/2014 8:52:33 AM
If you are concerned about image quality then do not get an XL. Let my mistake serve as a warning to you.
---
"That's the wrong part of the sentence to be focusing on." - Lorne Malvo
#8Cheshire_Cat03Posted 7/12/2014 8:55:08 AM
SaraAB87 posted...
3DS - The top screen WILL scratch itself.. terrible battery life.. using screen protectors fixes the problem

I've had my 3DS since 2011 (or 2012? I got it for Christmas the year of it's release) and I don't have a screen protector or any scratches on the top half.
---
3DS FC: 4296-3524-2127 ACNL Town: Rockwood ~All Dreamies Achieved~ Villagers: Marshal, Pashmina, Merengue, Roald, Bruce, Peggy, Zucker, Stitches, Tia, Whitney.
#9Epic_McDude(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2014 8:57:29 AM
corex3d posted...
I actually think the 2ds is much more comfortable to hold than the og 3ds the l and r buttons are much better on the 2ds also imo and I'm pretty sure the screens are the exact same size on the 2ds and the og 3ds

Ah, my bad. That would be a case of misinformation I've heard, then.

Aeruon posted...

I was going by stuff like this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-3ds-xl-review

"Screen Star

The most obvious benefit of the 3DS XL's larger proportions is its dual screens. The top display - the one which handles all the glasses-free 3D effects - is an impressive 90 per cent bigger than its equivalent on the original 3DS console. At 4.88-inches, it's dangerously close to PlayStation Vita territory, although it's worth noting that the overall resolution hasn't seen a boost - the display remains locked at 800 (400 pixels for each eye) x 240, so the physical size of the pixels is relatively large. This serves to emphasise the lack of anti-aliasing in most 3DS titles and the surfeit of jaggies remains one of the most distracting factors while gaming."
---
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
#10AeruonPosted 7/12/2014 9:04:52 AM
Epic_McDude posted...
corex3d posted...

Ah, my bad. That would be a case of misinformation I've heard, then.

Aeruon posted...

I was going by stuff like this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-3ds-xl-review

"Screen Star

The most obvious benefit of the 3DS XL's larger proportions is its dual screens. The top display - the one which handles all the glasses-free 3D effects - is an impressive 90 per cent bigger than its equivalent on the original 3DS console. At 4.88-inches, it's dangerously close to PlayStation Vita territory, although it's worth noting that the overall resolution hasn't seen a boost - the display remains locked at 800 (400 pixels for each eye) x 240, so the physical size of the pixels is relatively large. This serves to emphasise the lack of anti-aliasing in most 3DS titles and the surfeit of jaggies remains one of the most distracting factors while gaming."

*grabs 3DS* *starts Kid Icarus: Uprising* I see where it's coming from, but I personally don't get irritated or something by it.
---
Steam/NNID: Aeruon; 3DS FC: 1891-1220-5724
Gotta go fast!