Which version of the system should I get? 2DS, 3DS or 3DS XL? (Concerns inside)

#71Epic_McDude(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 3:59:15 PM
Thanks for the pictures. In two or so of them, the 3DS XL version looks just a tad uglier while in the others, it seems to be equally clear.

Looks like the difference isn't all that much as it was made out to be, it was barely noticeable.

But then again, these are 2D sprite games. Do you have any 3D games that you can try for a better, closer look? (I don't mean the function/feature, but 3D graphics.)
---
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
#72SaraAB87Posted 7/13/2014 5:51:33 PM
Merenwenrago posted...
SaraAB87 posted...
Yeah the 3DS XL supports native DS mode which means your DS games should look the same as they do on a DS system.., the original 3DS and I assume the 3DS do not support this mode as far as I know.

Though I just put DS games in my 3DS XL and they look fine without holding the select, actually I feel like I am seeing my games in a whole new light since they display much bigger.

Again the pixelation is not a problem for me at all.

Which games since I use Pokemon mostly?

The Pokemon's look fine to me, I have all of them. I really enjoyed playing Heart Gold on it and Pokemon White and White 2 and I thought they looked better and the bigger screen really enhanced the experience. Then again this is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of others.

Keep in mind DS games display with black bars on the top screen (on the sides), the bottom screen will be full. Unless you go into native DS mode by holding select as another person said, then you will have black bars around the whole screen on both screens I assume (I haven't personally tried it). The black bars on the top screen did not bother me at all when the game is inserted into the system and started normally from the home menu.

Its worth noting that the 3DS XL goes on sale at Best Buy starting June 20th I think. Its $169 for the Mario & Luigi one which includes a game I think.
---
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 3926-4622-6128
#73Epic_McDude(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 5:53:43 PM
Does that holding select trick for the DS games only work on the 3DS XL or does it also work for the regular 3DS and the 2DS?
---
#74teeebzPosted 7/13/2014 5:55:18 PM
I'm in same situation as you. Was unsure whether I wanted 3DS or 3DS XL.

I feel people are blowing pixel density out of proportion. Sure, maybe in some games there is a very slight difference, but that's also if you're comparing the games side by side.

I'm getting my 3DS XL this Saturday. I'd much prefer the bigger screen sizes and longer battery life.
---
GT- MR WhiteEe
PSN- Teebz83
#75SillySquadPosted 7/13/2014 5:57:17 PM
SaraAB87 posted...
Merenwenrago posted...
SaraAB87 posted...
Yeah the 3DS XL supports native DS mode which means your DS games should look the same as they do on a DS system.., the original 3DS and I assume the 3DS do not support this mode as far as I know.

Though I just put DS games in my 3DS XL and they look fine without holding the select, actually I feel like I am seeing my games in a whole new light since they display much bigger.

The Pokemon's look fine to me, I have all of them. I really enjoyed playing Heart Gold on it and Pokemon White and White 2 and I thought they looked better and the bigger screen really enhanced the experience. Then again this is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of others.

Keep in mind DS games display with black bars on the top screen (on the sides), the bottom screen will be full. Unless you go into native DS mode by holding select as another person said, then you will have black bars around the whole screen on both screens I assume (I haven't personally tried it). The black bars on the top screen did not bother me at all when the game is inserted into the system and started normally from the home menu.

Its worth noting that the 3DS XL goes on sale at Best Buy starting June 20th I think. Its $169 for the Mario & Luigi one which includes a game I think.

I used the XL in native mode, and it was preeetty noticeable, and weird for me, personally. As you said, the black bars when playing in standard XL mode don't matter. Anyways the sale is the $169 Mario and Luigi bundle XL, which comes with Mario and Luigi pre-installed (essentially, you still have to download it from the shop). There's also a 2 for 1 game sale on select games (pretty legit games mostly):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BscKgYPCAAA3FD8.jpg:large

Somebody just posted that on another board.
---
Pancakes
#76neostelar0629Posted 7/13/2014 5:57:59 PM
Honestly, the OG 3DS is the most uncomfortable of the 3 models. The 2DS is great and feels very similar to the Wii U gamepad imo. My only problem with it is that it is STRONGLY recommended that you buy a case for it because it is a pain to take out of the house safely. But overall, I think it is a great alternative to the 3DS.
---
3DS FC: 4699 - 6429 - 2262
Gen 5 FC: 4815 - 0509 - 1982
#77Skull_proPosted 7/13/2014 6:17:14 PM
Aeruon posted...
Pixalated and blurry images on the 3DS XL? I don't really see iit.

This. Yes, it's a bit more pixelated, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. I'm usually a sucker for handheld revisions, but after getting multiple XLs and having tried the 2DS, I say you should avoid the 2DS like the plague. Also, despite being smaller in theory than the XL, the 2DS's lack of clamshell seriously hinder it's portability... assuming you tend to put your systems in your pocket (which contrary to popular beleifs, the XL DOES fit in a normal jean's pocket.)
---
Everyone should beleive in something. I beleive I'll have another beer.
3DS:4339 2730 2396: Steel Friend Safari
#78Epic_McDude(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2014 6:18:21 PM
SillySquad posted...
SaraAB87 posted...
Merenwenrago posted...
SaraAB87 posted...

I used the XL in native mode, and it was preeetty noticeable, and weird for me, personally. As you said, the black bars when playing in standard XL mode don't matter. Anyways the sale is the $169 Mario and Luigi bundle XL, which comes with Mario and Luigi pre-installed (essentially, you still have to download it from the shop). There's also a 2 for 1 game sale on select games (pretty legit games mostly):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BscKgYPCAAA3FD8.jpg:large

Somebody just posted that on another board.

Yeah, I took note of that and am definitely going to take advantage of that offer ahead of time.
---
#79ShippFFXIPosted 7/13/2014 9:11:26 PM(edited)
Merenwenrago posted...
SaraAB87 posted...
3DS - The top screen WILL scratch itself.. terrible battery life.. using screen protectors fixes the problem

3DSXL - Can feel cheap at times.. the Pokemon X&Y version that i have, the bottom plate lifts up on the side without warning. I think this happens to all 3DS XL's. Pixelated screens and lower quality sound bother some people. I advise trying it out on a friend or relative's system before you buy. I have this system and the pixel problem and sound problems do not bother me at all. Best battery life of all 3 systems.

2DS - I wouldn't buy, not portable, screens will be exposed so a case is required, which means you could probably get the regular 3DS for the same price as a 2DS + required case. I hear the touch screen is less responsive than other models.

Ever heard of a backpack to carry the 2ds and you telling me you don't have cases for your 3ds xl cause I have cases for all my handhelds to protect them.

Child alert!

Grown adults don't typically wear backpacks everywhere, if you hadn't noticed. Especially not to carry a handheld system.

Also, no, I don't have a case for my 3ds XL. No reason to. I don't put it in my pocket with keys or anything else, so it doesn't get scratched. Screen isn't exposed to anything due to the clamshell design. I've gotten cases for every other handheld since the screens are exposed. This isn't an issue with the 3DS.

TC, I've never played an OG 3DS, but I don't notice much distortion on the XL. FE is the only game I've noticed jagged edges on while playing in 3D. It's not as distracting as people make it out to be, though. If you played N64 and ps2 games, it's no worse than that, and honestly, imo it isn't even as bad as that. Lots of nintendo fanboys over exaggerate the lack of anti-aliasing in games when the 3DS XL has a bigger screen but the same res.

It is semi noticeable in certain games, but it's not like everything suddenly turns to crap like people want to pretend.
#80MerenwenragoPosted 7/14/2014 12:53:57 AM(edited)
Epic_McDude posted...
Does that holding select trick for the DS games only work on the 3DS XL or does it also work for the regular 3DS and the 2DS?

Works on my 2ds and the 3d doesn't show well when taking pictures of Skylanders 3ds and Pokemon X/Y barely use 3d.
---
Silver 3ds: Ichigo 1177-6436-5894 (Dragon Safari - Fraxure/Noibat/Druddigon)
Blue 3ds: Chloe 2552-1796-6303 (Dark Safari - Vullaby/Sandile/Inkay)