Poll: VITA Games Just Upscaled 3DS Games? (Please Read First)

#1j2zon2591Posted 7/15/2014 3:05:45 AM
You think more people perceive VITA games as mere upscaled/higher-res 3DS games? Please check these image samples - Results (118 votes)
Definitely.
8.47% (10 votes)
Probably.
17.8% (21 votes)
Unlikely.
22.88% (27 votes)
Nope.
50.85% (60 votes)
This poll is now closed.
You think more/most/a lot of people would perceive VITA games as just upscaled/higher-res of 3DS games visually (game graphics)? Specially among certain casual gamers?

VITA screenshots downsampled to 3DS resolution.

Please check out these samples before voting to have some rough, extra ideas on what more people may think.

Make sure to click on them so they're not further downsampled. May take a while to load.

3DS and VITA comparisons:

Sample A:

http://i.imgur.com/EMvqBVS.png

Sample B:

http://i.imgur.com/172JNXS.png

Sample C:

http://i.imgur.com/ymGMyZ3.png

Sample D:

http://i.imgur.com/cODX1GF.png
#2legendarylemurPosted 7/15/2014 3:38:41 AM
The problem with Vita graphics, it is stuck in a very awkward place. If it came a generation ago, yeah I think home console owners would have jumped on it just based on its graphical capability. But now, it can't compete with the best of current gen graphics, but the 3DS has "good enough" affordable graphics. If you're not getting the best, why wouldn't you get the thing that's simply more efficient? That is some of the most prevailing consumer attitude, I feel.

Why I talk about popularity is this: devs will try harder for a console that guarantees more sales. If they want to make a pretty game, just stick to home consoles. If they want to make a gameplay focused game, why even try? Just go to the 3DS and make as best of visuals as you can. Vita is then stuck with the same mentality, unhealthy for a console that boasts its power and nothing more. I think Vita is capable of being more than just upscaled 3DS graphically. It's a shame the 3DS is good at AA and lighting and s***, cuz then Vita will have a pretty hard to be distinctive

I hope people realize Vita's fault is more in its philosophy than anything. Sony could have pushed this thing with a nuclear propelled rocket and still would have lost to the 3ds
---
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the British..." - Yami
RIP in peace my blog. thank you.
#3KAMMYqueenPosted 7/15/2014 4:00:12 AM
Nope, Look at a game like Killzone Mercenary, that alone look better than every 3ds game. Also what is the point of this topic? Even if Vita games are just up scaled 3ds games, at every chance on this board people say graphics don't matter just gameplay......
---
It's times for a Revolution, my kids KAMMY KOOPA should be in Super Smash Bros 4.
#4ZamnatoPosted 7/15/2014 5:11:27 AM
Jesus, monster hunter looks so bad, even if monster hunter comes to vita i doubt will have any good graphics.
---
Psn: Zamnato-
3ds FC: 3539-9523-3329
#5Skull_proPosted 7/15/2014 5:18:19 AM
I much prefer the Vita version of most games, especially Lego games.
---
Everyone should beleive in something. I beleive I'll have another beer.
3DS:4339 2730 2396: Steel Friend Safari
#6NathanisDrakePosted 7/15/2014 6:04:34 AM
KAMMYqueen posted...
Even if Vita games are just up scaled 3ds games, at every chance on this board people say graphics don't matter just gameplay......

That's because it really doesn't. Objectively speaking, you'd be hard-pressed to find at least a single Vita game where its superfluous graphical capabilities actually proves to be beneficial to the overall experience of a game. Heck, some of the system's best offerings, Ys:Moc and P4G, hardly pushes the hardware at all.

Having all that power does nothing but increases unnecessary development cost which could most definitely lead to an adverse effect on the support of the system in the long run, and the Vita is proving to be a direct testament to that.
---
4770K | MSI GTX 780 OC | 8GB 2133 | 120GB SSD | 1TB HDD | ASRock Z87E-ITX | Corsair 650W | Corsair Obsidian 250D m-ITX
PC + 3DS Master Race
#7ALinkAlonePosted 7/15/2014 6:32:43 AM
"That's because it really doesn't. Objectively speaking, you'd be hard-pressed to find at least a single Vita game where its superfluous graphical capabilities actually proves to be beneficial to the overall experience of a game"

You've got that right. Gameplay is everything. Case in point- take the two most well-known horror games on the Vita and 3DS; it's a genre where graphics matter quite a bit in order to create a scary atmosphere and frightening environment.

The "lesser" system, the 3DS, has a game where the gameplay is so DAMNED GOOD that the game is phenomenal and fun. That would of course be Resident Evil Revelations. It was a game so well made that Capcom ported it to other consoles after the fact.

Now flip the coin to the higher powered-system and ITS horror game- Silent Hill: Book of Memories. Despite it being on a system as powerful as a PS3, which theoretically should blow RE Revelations out of the water, the gameplay is so awful, so grotesquely bad, that it literally made me CANCEL my plans for buying a Vita. Book of Memories may have very well buried the Silent Hill franchise for good, and its a prime example of how a company can take what should be a sure thing and completely screw it up.

So there you have it, in a nutshell. It's about the gameplay creating the experience, and no amount of graphical happy-paste slathered onto a game with bad gameplay can make it good.
---
Long live Razieru in all his incarnations!
My friend conquers even the apologists.
#8LeanaunfurledPosted 7/15/2014 6:42:41 AM
Where's the 'lol!' option?
---
Currently Playing: Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Catherine, Atelier Rorona Plus (Vita)
3DS FC: 2707-2560-1312 JPN FC: 1907-9095-4490 PSN: Ashurii09 Wii U: Tetrisash
#9Akihiko__SanadaPosted 7/15/2014 6:56:57 AM
The 3DS screen is smaller to compensate for lower res, and 3D trumps any amount of res a screen could have.
---
Hyped for: Super Danganronpa 2, Layton vs Ace Attorney, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Playing: Atelier Totori Plus, Etrian Odyssey IV (postgame)
#10NnamzPosted 7/15/2014 7:40:15 AM
Leanaunfurled posted...
Where's the 'lol!' option?