Okay, what the hell is going on here? Donkey Kong Country Returns won't download

#1Blk_Mage_CtypePosted 8/4/2014 4:12:18 PM
Like many folks, I chose Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D as my Club Nintendo Platinum Reward because I didn't own it and it was the best value by a long shot.
However, the game simply will not download for me, and I've been trying since day one.

Every single time I try, it always ends with an error, despite the fact that other games download for me just fine, and that I've tried downloading it to 2 different SD Cards.

The first 20 or so attempts were with a Kingston 8GB Class 4 SD Card. I tried reformatting it multiple times, but it never worked, so I decided to try another card and bought a brand new Sandisk 16GB Class 6 SD Card, and now it's failing as well, despite 3 attempts and reformatting it as well.
So I'm inclined to believe that this is an issue on Nintendo's end, but if such is the case, then why the hell is nobody else complaining about this?

It's not my SD Cards and it's not my Internet Connection, because both are working just fine elsewhere, and if it's Nintendo then why is nobody complaining about this but me?

Seriously, I'm going nuts here. Is anyone else experiencing this problem at all or had in the past but found a solution? Because at the very least, I'd like to know that I'm not alone in this.
---
I imagine Bethesda's Quality Testing Department a big, dusty room filled with cobwebs, and a chimp wearing a Fez banging on the keyboard of a single computer...
#2lyaanniePosted 8/4/2014 4:21:19 PM
It's a huge game, and requires a lot of space. IIRC, I think it needs nearly 18,000 blocks. I had
trouble downloading it as well, until I chose the "download later" option, where it downloads via
SpotPass in sleep mode. When I woke up the next morning, it had downloaded and was ready
to go. I hope this helps.
#3Blk_Mage_Ctype(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 4:49:17 PM
Tried multiple times with both the "Download Now" and "Download Later" options, but both ways result in a generic error code once it reaches 99%.
---
I imagine Bethesda's Quality Testing Department a big, dusty room filled with cobwebs, and a chimp wearing a Fez banging on the keyboard of a single computer...
#4outworld222Posted 8/4/2014 4:52:44 PM
Blk_Mage_Ctype posted...
Tried multiple times with both the "Download Now" and "Download Later" options, but both ways result in a generic error code once it reaches 99%.

I've had this same thing happen to me as well about a year ago. What I did was I tried a few days later and it "magically" worked. This is my answer.
#5Remi0327Posted 8/4/2014 4:54:44 PM
I managed to download it on my first go yesterday using my phone's tether function. I mainly did that because a) I can monitor whether there's any data being sent/received at all, and b) no one else had access to it and wasn't hogging bandwidth.

I recommend trying to download in a way that you can monitor that it's actively downloading.
---
"what's unique about anti gravity? nothing you can simulate the same experince by simply playing the game upside down"
~SMASHKING84
#6Blk_Mage_Ctype(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 4:56:56 PM
outworld222 posted...
Blk_Mage_Ctype posted...

I've had this same thing happen to me as well about a year ago. What I did was I tried a few days later and it "magically" worked. This is my answer.

Been trying since Day one, as in July 15th, as in about 3 weeks ago.
---
#7Remi0327Posted 8/4/2014 5:00:09 PM
Also, try off-peak hours, such as 11pm-5am, and just leave your 3DS near your phone/access point.
---
"what's unique about anti gravity? nothing you can simulate the same experince by simply playing the game upside down"
~SMASHKING84
#8Blk_Mage_Ctype(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 5:09:25 PM
Remi0327 posted...
Also, try off-peak hours, such as 11pm-5am, and just leave your 3DS near your phone/access point.

Tried that as well, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to try again.
---
#9Remi0327Posted 8/4/2014 5:13:36 PM
Does your phone support tethering? Or can you block people from using your WiFi (assuming you share) for a couple of hours? Took me only about an hour and some minutes.
---
~SMASHKING84
#10lyaanniePosted 8/4/2014 5:14:02 PM
If the SpotPass/sleep mode/overnight method doesn't work for you, I would suggest
contacting Nintendo Customer Service to see if they have any advice. There might
be some other variable we're not taking into account, but it worked like a charm for
me. I also had tried many times and got consistent error messages before simply
telling it to download later, putting it in sleep mode and going to bed. Maybe you
could check your settings to make sure SpotPass is selected and ready to go.
Good luck!