Do you see a lot of people playing with a Vita/3DS in public transportation?

#11m0986-8Posted 8/13/2014 11:07:18 PM
It is prevalent everywhere but Akihabara is where you go to blow all your money. It is a specialized anime/gaming/technology district. Gamers are friendly but often get intimidated by a foreigner approaching them. Despite 6 years of English school they cannot speak hardly any English. I have met 3 people in the country that actually can converse. The rest.... nope lol.
---
3DS FC: 0344-9282-6531
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM
#12TgirlPosted 8/13/2014 11:11:58 PM
Akihabara may be the "center", for all things gaming, manga, anime, electronics, otaku-stuff like maid/butler cafes, etc. ... But, if you go to other electronic stores around Japan, you'll be just as amazed as it is. I can't say much about the gaming atmosphere for my two visits over there, because they were short, but it's clear that Japan loves their gaming consoles and games in general. They have several game arcades around Tokyo, at least. On the popular touristy Odaiba island, there's a gaming amusement park over there. Never went in, but that looked fun nonetheless.

When I did a stop over at Narita once, I whipped out my DSi just to try out the "free Wi-Fi". It was just a map of the entire airport. =__=; Now that this is the 3DS era, looking forward to going back one day just to nab more street passes. I got a lot of JP SPs during my visits to Taiwan so all is well, nonetheless.

On the Taiwanese Shinkansen, I took out my PSP with pride. In NYC, I played my GBA Sp on the subway like it was nothing. Also, during that time, there were other people playing on their GBA SPs too. Now, it should be a little different with the cell phone era in the US. >_< But, if I ever find myself on the A train taking a long journey, I'd gladly whip out my 3DS.

On Chicago's Blue Line, it's the perfect train to play the 3DS.
---
kh-info-block.tumblr.com [read] [educate] [understand] // NNID: Tgirl0
R.I.P. 1951-2014 -- Robin W.! >__<
#13Remi0327Posted 8/13/2014 11:18:32 PM
^Blue Line is indeed best for 3DS time. Although, I personally prefer joyriding the Orange Line to Midway and back in the cab seats...
---
"what's unique about anti gravity? nothing you can simulate the same experince by simply playing the game upside down"
~SMASHKING84
#14m0986-8Posted 8/13/2014 11:20:37 PM
Tgirl posted...
Akihabara may be the "center", for all things gaming, manga, anime, electronics, otaku-stuff like maid/butler cafes, etc. ... But, if you go to other electronic stores around Japan, you'll be just as amazed as it is. I can't say much about the gaming atmosphere for my two visits over there, because they were short, but it's clear that Japan loves their gaming consoles and games in general. They have several game arcades around Tokyo, at least. On the popular touristy Odaiba island, there's a gaming amusement park over there. Never went in, but that looked fun nonetheless.

When I did a stop over at Narita once, I whipped out my DSi just to try out the "free Wi-Fi". It was just a map of the entire airport. =__=; Now that this is the 3DS era, looking forward to going back one day just to nab more street passes. I got a lot of JP SPs during my visits to Taiwan so all is well, nonetheless.

On the Taiwanese Shinkansen, I took out my PSP with pride. In NYC, I played my GBA Sp on the subway like it was nothing. Also, during that time, there were other people playing on their GBA SPs too. Now, it should be a little different with the cell phone era in the US. >_< But, if I ever find myself on the A train taking a long journey, I'd gladly whip out my 3DS.

the smoking indoors for most arcades drives me insane though. i dont go to arcades because of that. but yeah they do love their games. anime though... way too overpriced here it just is not worth buying.
---
#15lambchipsPosted 8/13/2014 11:43:42 PM
Not on public transport...
But the local group I meet up with for the past year or 2 all play 3ds (infact the only reason for the meet up is because its a 3d meet up group)

I never see people playing vita though which is kinda sad... Noone even thought about doing a Vita group meet up and the one that was held for Dragons Crown only got 3 attendees, so noone makes it anymore (even though a few of them have Vitas)

That said I can say mobile gaming is definitely on the rise.. and I can definitely see the rapid increase of mobile gaming
I've been seeing more and more people playing on their mobile devices this past year compared to last
(^2 years ago, only primary school kids would be seen playing a mobile)

When I was in Japan earlier this year almost everyone was on their mobile devices in the train (I did get a ton of streetpasses but never saw anyone playing 3ds in public)
^ it wasnt too unexpected because I was in Malaysia before and everyone there was also big on mobile gaming... so the transition wasnt that big of a suprise
However when I first arrived Malaysia I was surprised to see the smartphone/tablet culture... Everyone had one and was on it during gatherings (something I've never seen in Australia.. usually in AU when I have a gathering we dont take out our smartphones unless its for a call)

That said I did hear that smartphones were huge in Asian, but actually seeing it kinda blew away what I expected
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#16TinyTim123Posted 8/13/2014 11:50:56 PM
We don't have public transportation here. I cannot recall any specific occasions of seeing anyone play a 3DS or Vita in public, though I know I have for the 3DS. Also, a girl in one of my Business classes would play her GBA SP sometimes.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#17TgirlPosted 8/14/2014 12:07:05 AM
Remi0327 posted...
^Blue Line is indeed best for 3DS time. Although, I personally prefer joyriding the Orange Line to Midway and back in the cab seats...

I see. >D

Your area's traffic is definitely good for getting stuck in the cab and play the 3DS for as long as you're stuck there.

Come to think of it, while touring through Chicago, I got a decent amount of SPs. All is well.

m0986-8 posted...
Tgirl posted...

the smoking indoors for most arcades drives me insane though. i dont go to arcades because of that. but yeah they do love their games. anime though... way too overpriced here it just is not worth buying.

What?! They still allow people to smoke in the arcades!? D: I was hoping, since Japan became more aware about the dangers of smoking, that maybe they made some changes about the gaming centers. ........... ;___;

I didn't go into any of them when I was in Tokyo almost a decade ago, because of the smoke. Just like you, I made sure to avoid all of them as possible. The closest I would get to one was during my trip to Hokkaido and that was because the arcade was a part of the inn I was staying at. So, it was smoke-free, but it was a small gaming center. However, the inn had a row of Famicons near the lobby, but I didn't know where to insert the yen..... =__=;

And completely understandable about the prices. Tokyo is a very expensive city. I'd buy a game OST from Akihabara and that was it for me. On top of all that, Tokyo sushi prices are crazy! I would not dare eat the sushi there, but I do find the Odaiba conveyor belt sushi restaurant to be enticing telling by YouTube vids. It doesn't bother me too much though. Where I live, I managed to eat a lot of authentically made sushi without having to leave North America.
---
kh-info-block.tumblr.com [read] [educate] [understand] // NNID: Tgirl0
R.I.P. 1951-2014 -- Robin W.! >__<
#18m0986-8Posted 8/14/2014 12:20:56 AM
if you are curious as to the full state of smoking in tokyo smoking in arcades and pachinko places are ok, smoking in restaurants is also ok in most areas as they usually have either a floor for smoking or a section closed off for smoking.

But yeah smoking is crazy strong here. It keeps me away from many places. Also the house I live in is crazy small like I could not fit a queen size mattress in my room. walls are not wide enough.

america has better housing, less smoking, better work system
japan is crazy convenient, everything within a 5 min walk, amazingly safe like oh my goodness the level of safety here is insane, but smoking, crap houses that are expensive, and work hours is crazy. after the company closes if you have not finished your work you have an obligation to work for free off the clock until you completed your task rather than go home to be with your loved ones.
---
#19Terrorknight3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 12:26:04 AM
m0986-8 posted...
It is prevalent everywhere but Akihabara is where you go to blow all your money. It is a specialized anime/gaming/technology district. Gamers are friendly but often get intimidated by a foreigner approaching them. Despite 6 years of English school they cannot speak hardly any English. I have met 3 people in the country that actually can converse. The rest.... nope lol.

Thanks for providing so much information!

Though were you exaggerating when you stated that despite six years of English schools they speak hardly any English?

I find that really surprising, since six years is a long time so they should at least be a little fluent. heh

I am guessing Nerds reign supreme in Japan. :D
#20TinyTim123Posted 8/14/2014 12:32:28 AM
Terrorknight3 posted...
m0986-8 posted...

Thanks for providing so much information!

Though were you exaggerating when you stated that despite six years of English schools they speak hardly any English?

I find that really surprising, since six years is a long time so they should at least be a little fluent. heh

I am guessing Nerds reign supreme in Japan. :D

I'm not sure it's so much a lack of fluency (though that may be part; how much of the high school Spanish or French or German you took do you remember?) but a general shyness and fear of being judged for using it poorly.
On the other hand, I was often approached in bars and introduced to other people, and we had great conversations, because people wanted to practice their English on me. I am quite certain the alcohol helped in that respect though. "Oh, meet my friend Tomomi! She works for Sanwa bank and is going to California next month to work."
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/