Do you see a lot of people playing with a Vita/3DS in public transportation?

#21m0986-8Posted 8/13/2014 11:36:24 PM
Terrorknight3 posted...
m0986-8 posted...
It is prevalent everywhere but Akihabara is where you go to blow all your money. It is a specialized anime/gaming/technology district. Gamers are friendly but often get intimidated by a foreigner approaching them. Despite 6 years of English school they cannot speak hardly any English. I have met 3 people in the country that actually can converse. The rest.... nope lol.

Thanks for providing so much information!

Though were you exaggerating when you stated that despite six years of English schools they speak hardly any English?

I find that really surprising, since six years is a long time so they should at least be a little fluent. heh

I am guessing Nerds reign supreme in Japan. :D

I kid you not... the do not English well at all. The standard is 6 years of English classes before graduating high school. But I always have to stick to my broken Japanese because I cannot ask someone how is their day in English without them giving me a confused look.

nerd culture is a mixed bag. Disney and games are loved in Japan, but the Otaku related hobbies such as Anime and Manga are greeted with high levels of shame. I spoke with my landlord about this. Anime here usually airs past midnight because people in the day do not like seeing it. Also the people feel bad when foreigners like anime because they ruin their future from what I was told. People who watch anime and are addicted to it only watch it because they do not have a partner in life. Why watch anime at 1am when you could be on a date or having intimate time with your loved one? people opt for anime to get away from the society of obligations that is japan instead of growing up and getting married.

granted there was an anime about two men dating playing on the tv but more or less you get the point. that was his main belief. take it for what you will. though a lot of it did make sense surprisingly. at least to me it did. there was much more to the conversation but it would take hours to type it all as the conversation lasted from midnight until 4am
---
3DS FC: 0344-9282-6531
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM
#22m0986-8Posted 8/13/2014 11:38:29 PM
TinyTim123 posted...
Terrorknight3 posted...
m0986-8 posted...
It is prevalent everywhere but Akihabara is where you go to blow all your money. It is a specialized anime/gaming/technology district. Gamers are friendly but often get intimidated by a foreigner approaching them. Despite 6 years of English school they cannot speak hardly any English. I have met 3 people in the country that actually can converse. The rest.... nope lol.

Though were you exaggerating when you stated that despite six years of English schools they speak hardly any English?

I find that really surprising, since six years is a long time so they should at least be a little fluent. heh

I'm not sure it's so much a lack of fluency (though that may be part; how much of the high school Spanish or French or German you took do you remember?) but a general shyness and fear of being judged for using it poorly.
On the other hand, I was often approached in bars and introduced to other people, and we had great conversations, because people wanted to practice their English on me. I am quite certain the alcohol helped in that respect though. "Oh, meet my friend Tomomi! She works for Sanwa bank and is going to California next month to work."

general shyness and perfection is a major cause of it. the people here constantly try to improve and perfect themselves. they most likely know some English but they do not speak due to fears of making mistakes. it has to be perfect or they won't speak. that said our good old friend alcohol solves a lot of those problems for them temporarily
---
#23cbaaaabcPosted 8/13/2014 11:53:45 PM
Saw a guy once in the train playing his 3DS. Said his wife and kid infected him with pokemon so he played it too. I too play my 3DS when riding the train as it is a good time waste.
Mostly I see smart phones though (I'm from germany).
#24Terrorknight3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 11:57:47 PM
m0986-8 posted...
Terrorknight3 posted...
m0986-8 posted...

I kid you not... the do not English well at all. The standard is 6 years of English classes before graduating high school. But I always have to stick to my broken Japanese because I cannot ask someone how is their day in English without them giving me a confused look.

nerd culture is a mixed bag. Disney and games are loved in Japan, but the Otaku related hobbies such as Anime and Manga are greeted with high levels of shame. I spoke with my landlord about this. Anime here usually airs past midnight because people in the day do not like seeing it. Also the people feel bad when foreigners like anime because they ruin their future from what I was told. People who watch anime and are addicted to it only watch it because they do not have a partner in life. Why watch anime at 1am when you could be on a date or having intimate time with your loved one? people opt for anime to get away from the society of obligations that is japan instead of growing up and getting married.

granted there was an anime about two men dating playing on the tv but more or less you get the point. that was his main belief. take it for what you will. though a lot of it did make sense surprisingly. at least to me it did. there was much more to the conversation but it would take hours to type it all as the conversation lasted from midnight until 4am

Well... is it impossible to watch Anime moderately or something then lol?

Also I heard that the PC gaming scene is non-existent in Japan. Does that mean that a lot of Japanese people don't know how to build a computer..

Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions. :D
#25lambchipsPosted 8/14/2014 12:16:55 AM
Back when I was in Japan, noone knew how to speak English when I asked...
I had to use my broken Japanese to buy stuff and ask for directions.. Thankfully I know how to to say the basics of basics (things like directions, numbers, particles etc)

But yeah, unless they are working in tourism (or somewhere where you find lots of tourists) dont expect them speak english (and even people in that field have very minimal English)
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#26m0986-8Posted 8/14/2014 12:31:27 AM
Terrorknight3 posted...
m0986-8 posted...
Terrorknight3 posted...
m0986-8 posted...

Also I heard that the PC gaming scene is non-existent in Japan. Does that mean that a lot of Japanese people don't know how to build a computer..

PC scene is not popular due to small living spaces. Many people opt to use a laptop and some people only use their phone and not own a PC at all. But many use a laptop which are not very powerful and only run Visual Novels which are crazy popular. I am sure many people know how to build a PC but choose not to due to room situations.

Here is my room: http://i.imgur.com/wGKnrBi.jpg

As for your questions you can keep asking all you want. It is my day off any I am dying of boredom. As long as I do not get modded for off topic posting I will continue to answer your questions.

Some people do watch anime in moderation. It is when someone becomes obsessed with it is when people start to see it as a major problem. But yeah usually people who stay up late enough to watch the anime are usually single. though this is not always the case. their could be couples who love anime and stay up late to watch it together
---
#27Terrorknight3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 12:36:08 AM
m0986-8 posted...
Terrorknight3 posted...
m0986-8 posted...
Terrorknight3 posted...
m0986-8 posted...

PC scene is not popular due to small living spaces. Many people opt to use a laptop and some people only use their phone and not own a PC at all. But many use a laptop which are not very powerful and only run Visual Novels which are crazy popular. I am sure many people know how to build a PC but choose not to due to room situations.

Here is my room: http://i.imgur.com/wGKnrBi.jpg

As for your questions you can keep asking all you want. It is my day off any I am dying of boredom. As long as I do not get modded for off topic posting I will continue to answer your questions.

Some people do watch anime in moderation. It is when someone becomes obsessed with it is when people start to see it as a major problem. But yeah usually people who stay up late enough to watch the anime are usually single. though this is not always the case. their could be couples who love anime and stay up late to watch it together

That is really small!! That is an apartment right?

You don't even have room to put a chair in your room it seems like. Are there English channels in Japan?

Do you dabble in Visual novels yourself?
#28m0986-8Posted 8/14/2014 12:40:16 AM
It is an apartment. I have a stool that i put books on but a normal chair would not fit in here. That said there are English channels in Japan and English tv dubbed in Japanese which is weird seeing it the other way around lol. I do play visual novels and have collected rare ones such as Ever17. But I tend to avoid visual novels with adult content because I prefer real women any day. But yeah I do miss my gaming pc back in the states. This laptop is crap lol
---
#29Terrorknight3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 1:31:19 AM
I wonder if it is a good idea to take it to PM. I just posted in this thread because I was thinking that some people would find it interesting.

However, How tall are the people in Japan. Do you tower over a lot of people there?
#30TinyTim123Posted 8/14/2014 1:55:53 AM(edited)
I lived in a house outside of Osaka with a group of coworkers (we were in construction, working for Universal Studios Osaka), so our house had bigger rooms than that... but I had to share the house with two other guys... who were significantly less skilled or inclined in the ways of keepig a house and living areas clean. =/

This was back in 2001. You can PM me with anything you wanna know about back then too, There are a fair amount of people on here that currently work in Japan, often teaching English (my girlfriend at that time did that as well).
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/