Do you see a lot of people playing with a Vita/3DS in public transportation?

#31m0986-8Posted 8/14/2014 3:33:12 AM
Terrorknight3 posted...
I wonder if it is a good idea to take it to PM. I just posted in this thread because I was thinking that some people would find it interesting.

However, How tall are the people in Japan. Do you tower over a lot of people there?

I am taller than most people but there are people taller than me here too who are usually guys. I have not seen one girl taller than me in Japan and I am 5'11". That said the guys taller than me are all scrawny which makes me feel like a big strong badass (i weight lift a lot so i am far from scrawny but by american standards i am fairly average). i have had many japanese women point out my forearms and say that not even japanese mens forearms are that thick. the female forearms were like half the size of mine. but yeah PM me whatever you would like.

Though I will say this. Japan is not the anime and gaming fantasy land that many people believe it is.
---
3DS FC: 0344-9282-6531
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM
#32nikowwfPosted 8/14/2014 5:35:58 AM
Streetpassing in Japan in awesome. I sat in a cafe for about 30 minutes and i got 7 streetpasses, all women.
#33TgirlPosted 8/14/2014 6:14:53 AM
^ Yep. Street Passing in Japan is definitely enjoyable. Looking forward to when I get that chance, myself. Taiwan was a good preview. Out of all my JP SPs, I got only one Taiwanese SP.

m0986-8 posted...
if you are curious as to the full state of smoking in tokyo smoking in arcades and pachinko places are ok, smoking in restaurants is also ok in most areas as they usually have either a floor for smoking or a section closed off for smoking.

But yeah smoking is crazy strong here. It keeps me away from many places. Also the house I live in is crazy small like I could not fit a queen size mattress in my room. walls are not wide enough.

america has better housing, less smoking, better work system
japan is crazy convenient, everything within a 5 min walk, amazingly safe like oh my goodness the level of safety here is insane, but smoking, crap houses that are expensive, and work hours is crazy. after the company closes if you have not finished your work you have an obligation to work for free off the clock until you completed your task rather than go home to be with your loved ones.

So, they still do the smoking and non-smoking sections in restaurants. I see. By the state of your words, it seems the situation has changed a little for the better. It use to be that the smoking and non-smoking would be on the same floor, and you'll still smell some smoke just for that case. :/ I'm sure the restaurant ventilation has improved at this point though. Thanks for the update.

Oh yes. Apartment living Tokyo style. Cramped quarters. I've only stayed in their hotels (which are smaller than American standard hotel rooms) and I can't really justify my relatives' house as an example because they live in the suburbs. But, all those infamous Tokyo apartments.... Shoebox size where your kitchen is also your living room and bedroom thanks to the expensive rents. I have yet to see that photo of your room, but I can already picture it in my head. ^^; (Going to look at it after this.)

Yeah, Tokyo is very convenient. Especially with their conbini. It's actually like that for some other Asian densely populated cities where all you have to do is simply walk to your nearest convenient store, which could easily be right below you. And, the great things about Japanese style convenient stores, you can pay your taxes, parking tickets, etc. all at that store. (Well, that's what Taiwan copied with their FamilyMarts, 7-11s, and AmPms.). In America though, I live in the most densely populated area of the US so, although walking around can't get you far, driving to a convenient place is still a lot faster than living out in somewhere like Portland, Oregon. Unless, you're in a city like New York where there is a Duane Read on almost every corner......

As for the long overtime working hours, yeah, I've heard/read about them. I still think that's insane. It's great to know they're hard workers, but, they should go out and see the day light more often. Not just on the weekends and Golden Week. The salaryman structure needs to change. This is why the Japanese are putting off marriage or just not having kids. :0. Although, they also have every right to be financially smart, be content without kids, and/or be content without a spouse. The J-politicians need to wake up somewhere.....
---
kh-info-block.tumblr.com [read] [educate] [understand] // NNID: Tgirl0
R.I.P. 1951-2014 -- Robin W.! >__<
#34m0986-8Posted 8/14/2014 6:51:44 AM
Tgirl posted...
^ Yep. Street Passing in Japan is definitely enjoyable. Looking forward to when I get that chance, myself. Taiwan was a good preview. Out of all my JP SPs, I got only one Taiwanese SP.

m0986-8 posted...
if you are curious as to the full state of smoking in tokyo smoking in arcades and pachinko places are ok, smoking in restaurants is also ok in most areas as they usually have either a floor for smoking or a section closed off for smoking.

But yeah smoking is crazy strong here. It keeps me away from many places. Also the house I live in is crazy small like I could not fit a queen size mattress in my room. walls are not wide enough.

america has better housing, less smoking, better work system
japan is crazy convenient, everything within a 5 min walk, amazingly safe like oh my goodness the level of safety here is insane, but smoking, crap houses that are expensive, and work hours is crazy. after the company closes if you have not finished your work you have an obligation to work for free off the clock until you completed your task rather than go home to be with your loved ones.

So, they still do the smoking and non-smoking sections in restaurants. I see. By the state of your words, it seems the situation has changed a little for the better. It use to be that the smoking and non-smoking would be on the same floor, and you'll still smell some smoke just for that case. :/ I'm sure the restaurant ventilation has improved at this point though. Thanks for the update.

Oh yes. Apartment living Tokyo style. Cramped quarters. I've only stayed in their hotels (which are smaller than American standard hotel rooms) and I can't really justify my relatives' house as an example because they live in the suburbs. But, all those infamous Tokyo apartments.... Shoebox size where your kitchen is also your living room and bedroom thanks to the expensive rents. I have yet to see that photo of your room, but I can already picture it in my head. ^^; (Going to look at it after this.)

Yeah, Tokyo is very convenient. Especially with their conbini. It's actually like that for some other Asian densely populated cities where all you have to do is simply walk to your nearest convenient store, which could easily be right below you. And, the great things about Japanese style convenient stores, you can pay your taxes, parking tickets, etc. all at that store. (Well, that's what Taiwan copied with their FamilyMarts, 7-11s, and AmPms.). In America though, I live in the most densely populated area of the US so, although walking around can't get you far, driving to a convenient place is still a lot faster than living out in somewhere like Portland, Oregon. Unless, you're in a city like New York where there is a Duane Read on almost every corner......

As for the long overtime working hours, yeah, I've heard/read about them. I still think that's insane. It's great to know they're hard workers, but, they should go out and see the day light more often. Not just on the weekends and Golden Week. The salaryman structure needs to change. This is why the Japanese are putting off marriage or just not having kids. :0. Although, they also have every right to be financially smart, be content without kids, and/or be content without a spouse. The J-politicians need to wake up somewhere.....

they could be content without a spouse if they want. but i sure want and plan to marry when i finish college.
---
3DS FC: 0344-9282-6531
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 3.0GHZ | HD 5770 | 4GB RAM
#35TgirlPosted 8/14/2014 7:26:42 AM(edited)
^ Yep, indeed. >D *thumbs up* Stick with that goal and make sure you're financially stable at that point as well. Good luck.

(And one thing I forgot to specify --- I'm not Japanese, but some of my relatives immigrated to Japan and started their own families there. Thus, seeing a Japanese suburban sized house in a Tokyo suburb, where you'll still need a taxi to get to, was quite an interesting experience.....)
---
kh-info-block.tumblr.com [read] [educate] [understand] // NNID: Tgirl0
R.I.P. 1951-2014 -- Robin W.! >__<
#36Terrorknight3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 1:59:24 PM
m0986-8 posted...
Terrorknight3 posted...
I wonder if it is a good idea to take it to PM. I just posted in this thread because I was thinking that some people would find it interesting.

However, How tall are the people in Japan. Do you tower over a lot of people there?

I am taller than most people but there are people taller than me here too who are usually guys. I have not seen one girl taller than me in Japan and I am 5'11". That said the guys taller than me are all scrawny which makes me feel like a big strong badass (i weight lift a lot so i am far from scrawny but by american standards i am fairly average). i have had many japanese women point out my forearms and say that not even japanese mens forearms are that thick. the female forearms were like half the size of mine. but yeah PM me whatever you would like.

Though I will say this. Japan is not the anime and gaming fantasy land that many people believe it is.

Are you popular with the ladies then? :D

I am assuming you are Caucasian.
#37link510Posted 8/14/2014 2:02:52 PM
I've never seen anyone playing a handheld of any kind on the bus or waiting for the bus.
#38SnipeStarPosted 8/14/2014 3:21:41 PM
i RARELY see a 3DS, i've never seen anyone with a vita anywhere lol
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#39Terrorknight3(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 3:27:27 PM
SnipeStar posted...
i RARELY see a 3DS, i've never seen anyone with a vita anywhere lol

Where are you from?
#40Granadico_Posted 8/14/2014 7:26:18 PM
I see it a decent amount at my university. Usually get around 10 SPs a day (at lest 5). Literally never seen a Vita outside of a kiosk or station