Just beat my 1st Shin Megami Tensei game it was Soul Hackers and no guide used

#21GeekyDadPosted 8/19/2014 7:46:49 AM
Well, your experience with the series can only go up from here, really. Soul Hackers was a fun game for me. Loved the characters, story and music, but it is a bit archaic. Both Strange Journey and SMTIV should make a nice step up for you. Both great.
---
"The hardcore you've been waiting for!"
#22Too_many_namesPosted 8/19/2014 8:09:46 AM
Get Devil Survivor Overclocked, SMT III, or Strange Journey next, since these are good games and fairly easy to find. I do not recommend SMT IV, because it has a pretty bad story, unlike its predecessors.
---
An old man once told me: "No old man is to be trusted".
#23HellsingOrg(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 10:54:45 AM
Too_many_names posted...
Get Devil Survivor Overclocked, SMT III, or Strange Journey next, since these are good games and fairly easy to find. I do not recommend SMT IV, because it has a pretty bad story, unlike its predecessors.

Don't people hate on Strange Journey's story?
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#24SifonPosted 8/21/2014 2:03:16 AM
I really liked iv's story, don't let others sway you into not playing it, truly awesome game one of the best games on the 3ds period
#25HellsingOrg(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 12:32:29 PM
Sifon posted...
I really liked iv's story, don't let others sway you into not playing it, truly awesome game one of the best games on the 3ds period

What localized SMT had the best story and is the fan favorite?

I've heard that SMT Nocturne and DDS 1-2 were the best.
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#26Sir_HaxorPosted 8/23/2014 3:12:32 PM
HellsingOrg posted...
Sifon posted...

What localized SMT had the best story and is the fan favorite?

I've heard that SMT Nocturne and DDS 1-2 were the best.

Best story? DSS1+2. You need to play both as they are one story. No timeskip nonsense or anything, the first game ends in a TBC with the second jumping right in where it left off.
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#27Bigmac909Posted 8/23/2014 3:23:12 PM(edited)
Definitely play the rest of the series. Soul Hackers is probably one of the weaker entries, at least compared to the modern games, so you should be in for a treat. Look forward to more manageable encounter rates, a more diverse and creative app system, and no annoying trust bar (I forget what it's called hahah) to build up on each individual demon.

I for one think beating it with no guide is pretty impressive. I didn't even beat SH, but I had to look at a guide for a couple of things (which I HATE doing).

My personal recommendation would be the DS games, as they're all amazing. Apparently Strange Journey is kinda hit or miss, but I'm one of the people that swears by it - SJ is my second favorite game of all time, right after Paper Mario TTYD (in case you want to compare tastes).
---
3DS FC: 3695 - 0067 - 4389 Name: Shane
Pokemon X Safari: Fire Type - Larvesta, Magmar, & Fletchinder!
#28SifonPosted 8/23/2014 6:05:35 PM
Im definitely gonna check out the digital devil saga games. currently playing nocturne and finding it really good.

my copy of persona 3 unfortunately isnt working though :(. really wanted to play that too after loving persona 4
#29XYZygardePosted 8/23/2014 6:14:40 PM
Don't listen to the people bagging on SMT IV and it's story. SMT Nocturne and IV's stories are not very impressive on surface level. What I mean by that is that if you just go through the games in a linear fashion you might be disappointed. However if you gather all the pieces of story scattered throughout the games and put them together you will be blown away by it. This applies mostly to IV though, but all the main games are like this for the most part. I recommend you play IV before Nocturne since it is a bit easier and it's the perfect entry into the main series. The music for both games is spectacular though I prefer Most if IV's tracks than Nocturne. Oh and one more thing, if people tell you that Nocturne is stupid difficult, do NOT listen to them. If you play smartly and grind, the game is a cakewalk. All in all, any game developed by Atlus is worth a play. Welcome to the dark side, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the glorious MegaTen series.
#30SifonPosted 8/23/2014 6:17:16 PM
yeah the great thing about iv was getting immersed into the world of the game. i really felt the games atmosphere as I played.

Its really amazing honestly.