Is fantasy life really plot heavy?

#11dudupupuPosted 8/22/2014 8:28:00 AM
Aura_Sphere posted...
TowerBooks3192 posted...
Aura_Sphere posted...
Master Japanese? In how long, may I ask?

I don't expect doing it overnight.Rome wasn't built in a day so I would expect a few months (hopefully) or even at least 1-4 years. I could understand the menus but the basic sentences is my problem. As I said my main concern is how important the plot to the story is or I could just blindly play the game being able to read but not understand most of it.

There's no way you're doing it in a few months.

I learned Koine Greek (not a master, but functional reading) in about 4 months. It's possible if you got the will and time.

*yes, I understand Kanji is different and probably more difficult*
---
Proud follower of Christ!
3DS: Name: SwuglyBear, FC: 5429-7287-4928
#12TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 8:58:53 AM
Yeah my aim is only functional reading and understanding and just enough to enjoy the game and games with Furigana. I don't expect to be a master of it but just enough would be nice. Will take any advice I could get though.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower
#1321_21Posted 8/22/2014 10:46:18 AM
Dude, I started learning Japanese a little over few months ago. There's no way in hell you're pulling it off faster than me, even if your IQ is off the charts.

You're gonna have to master Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji alphabet system, and Kanji has over 2500 characters that you're gonna need to know for everyday life. Even Japanese students have to go all the way through high school in order fully learn how to write in Japanese, much less speak.

Within these few months, I know Japanese at the very very basic level, like Kindergarden level, and I didn't even tough Kanji yet.
---
Playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Shovel Knight, Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Prosecutor's Path
3DS FC: 5284-1432-1297 Lemme know if you plan on adding me!
#14TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 7:19:13 PM
21_21 posted...
Dude, I started learning Japanese a little over few months ago. There's no way in hell you're pulling it off faster than me, even if your IQ is off the charts.

You're gonna have to master Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji alphabet system, and Kanji has over 2500 characters that you're gonna need to know for everyday life. Even Japanese students have to go all the way through high school in order fully learn how to write in Japanese, much less speak.

Within these few months, I know Japanese at the very very basic level, like Kindergarden level, and I didn't even tough Kanji yet.

Then would you mind sharing any advice?
---
#15CuriCurryPosted 8/22/2014 7:44:44 PM
Are you enrolled in any courses or anything? I would start that way. Look into investing in the Genki books. Volumes 1 and 2 are pretty much all you'll need to understand Fantasy Life minus the new vocabulary you will run into.

Start mastering hiragana, katakana then kanji. Again, the Genki books will help with your pacing so you're not looking at too much kanji at one time.

If you have a smartphone, specifically an iPhone, look into the app called Japanese. It's an offline dictionary where you can create your own lists of vocabulary words and has preloaded lists with various subjects including common words for all levels of JLPT. Other apps include Anki and Obenkyou is highly regarded on Android.

For grammar, look into Tae Kim's Grammar Guide. It's nice as a portable reference. Grammar is extremely important to understand and is usually written in hiragana.

For an online website, I've tried renshuu.org and for beginners, it's a great study tool. It's a bit limited as some features are behind a pay wall but still usable for beginners or even those who need a refresher.

I think it's great that you're using video games as a way to learn the language but I highly suggest hitting the books first. Sure you'll learn fun vocab but without mastering the basics, you will not get far.

Just my opinion but I think you'll get much more satisfaction from studying first and then going into video games to actually apply what you've learned. It's a great feeling to sit down and actually play through a game without referencing anything.
---
NA 3DS FC: 0361-6567-5010 PSN: Curiousiko
http://curiousiko.tumblr.com/
#1621_21Posted 8/22/2014 8:18:37 PM(edited)
TowerBooks3192 posted...
21_21 posted...

Then would you mind sharing any advice?

Well, I'm not learning Japanese the best way possible (i.e. having a tutor), but that's not stopping me from being passionate about learning the language. It's not the best way, but I have My Japanese Coach for DS to learn from. It's definitely an amazing tool to learn some Japanese words and very basic Japanese grammer, but it obviously lacks the nuances among with other things you can only get from a personal tutor/teacher, which is pretty much the case for any language you learn.

I say learn all the Hiragana and the Katakana before you start tackling the language. Once you master these two, start learning the common words and what they mean in Japanese via My Japanese Coach or any other method. You don't have to tackle Kanji just yet. You're just trying to get the feel for the language, and you can learn the words with just Hiragana and Katakana for the time being.

But again, MJC does a really good job teaching you specific words and certain grammar, so it's still a good place to start. If you love and master everything in that game, then it's time to advance yourself and look for better ways to learn the language like getting a book or even a teacher. You can still learn on your own, but it's gonna be so much tougher without teacher. Also, watch anime as your part time hobby. If you're interested enough, you can also a good amount from there, too, although not as often.

OH, and one last thing. Use Lang-8 website. That website is VERY useful for learning new language. Basically, in that site, you're allowed to write practically anything you want in any language you're learning, and the people on that site who are fluent in that specific language you wrote in will correct any mistakes you made and give you the final product of whatever you wrote. Since you're fluent in the English language, you can also help out any Japanese people on that site learning English, and you get points for how much you help and how active you are on that site.
---
Playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Shovel Knight, Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Prosecutor's Path
3DS FC: 5284-1432-1297 Lemme know if you plan on adding me!
#17GI_TiPosted 8/22/2014 8:30:12 PM
Having a Japanese 3ds actually distracted me from my Japanese studies.
#18TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 9:04:20 PM
Thank you very much, any more advice would be appreciated. I do have a few books here that covers grammar, kanji, kana and basic JP overall. I also have some apps handy on my phone. Checked my university and they offered asian languages but not JP in particular and the problem is they dont offer one off classes but a whole course and it might affect my record. I am doing it part time though and I doubt it could be in months as I have all my law units this semester.

I am not fluent in english since it is my third language but I use it everyday as I live in Australia. I speak using another language talking to people from my old country and another dialect at home.
---
#19Dante200XPosted 8/22/2014 10:03:45 PM
TowerBooks3192 posted...
I speak using another language talking to people from my old country and another dialect at home.

What is this exactly?
---
Solid's snake still shoots liquid, it's just that it's null.
#20TowerBooks3192(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 10:22:12 PM
Dante200X posted...
TowerBooks3192 posted...
I speak using another language talking to people from my old country and another dialect at home.

What is this exactly?

Another Asian language but not chinese or closely related to it. Our schools use english as a method of teaching though we use the alphabet to write even in our own language.
---