So even Capcom agrees the 3DS VC needs to support SNES games.

#31IrateGameFAQerPosted 8/23/2014 5:39:19 AM
way to miss the point. No surprise since you're the one yapping about homebrew.
---
#1 Chris Bores fan!
#32Wario_manPosted 8/23/2014 5:54:52 AM
What does me yapping about Homebrew have to do with anything? I only mentioned it once then the rest was just general emulation on any system. Hardly could be considered yapping, especially since I didn't mention a specific method...
---
PH1R57 1'lL G37 73H 7R345Ur3, 4nD 7h3N 1'lL G37 JoO.
#33WrestlinFanPosted 8/23/2014 7:05:25 AM
I......I honestly can't believe Capcom would want easy money.....

What has happened?
---
Ironic love for Razieru
Bones they say the weather's changing aww, shesaw shesaw
#34AmandaDanielPosted 8/23/2014 7:11:14 AM
NoobSaibot is right. You are stealing.

The way out of the ethical quandry-

Go buy the game somewhere in cart form (so you now own it legally) and THEN put it wherever. That way, you can at least say you legitimately purchased the game, even if you're still in a gray area, legal-wise, as to how the game ended up on your PC.
---
Let's all laugh at an industry that never learns anything, tee hee hee!
- Zero Punctuation
#35Wario_manPosted 8/23/2014 7:12:04 AM
That's exactly what I've been saying o_o
---
#36outworld222Posted 8/23/2014 7:14:01 AM
You're right. Street Fighter II needs to be one of those games.
#37AmandaDanielPosted 8/23/2014 7:17:06 AM
Just an FYI-

The legality of dumping a cartridge yourself, even if you own it is also somewhat... iffy. A 1983 court case between Atari and a company called JS&A effectively eliminated the "one backup" rule commonly cited by people who want to copy their cartridges. The judge argued that since cartridges are on a permanent, non-volatile medium (the way a paper book is), then they don't have the same vulnerabilities as data stored on magnetic media like floppies and thus the one-backup clause does not apply to them.
---
- Zero Punctuation
#38Wario_manPosted 8/23/2014 7:19:05 AM
Is that law worldwide?
---
#39AmandaDanielPosted 8/23/2014 7:22:53 AM
Wario_man posted...
Is that law worldwide?

Nope- it was a court decision establishing precedent in US law.
---
- Zero Punctuation
#40gransPosted 8/23/2014 7:26:17 AM(edited)
Jesus, I would hope people have higher standards out of Nintendo than McDonalds food... As stated, anyone can easily make better burgers than that garbage. Nintendo is in the business of making some of the highest quality games out there. In relative quality, McDonalds is the absolute bottom of the barrel for the business they're in. People are conditioned to expect low quality crap because that's what is served. Nintendo's high quality conditions infinitely higher standards in their customers.

n00bsaib0t posted...
Yes, that's totally how it works. The cops aren't going to beat your door down to see if you downloaded Kirby, so it's legal. Aren't you a god damn genius.

It's illegal. Period. You only have legal right to your own back ups. If you didn't dump the rom, then it's someone else's back up, not yours.

Someone brought this up above, but Nintendo (and many other similar companies) are perpetuating the notion you don't even have the right to backup your own copies. They lump personally created backups and the tools used to do it right in there with the distribution and download of said backups, just as illegal in their eyes (they also make the claim that unofficial emulators are illegal)-
http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#helping

Nintendo on their website...
Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.

Personal Websites and/or Internet Content Providers sites That link to Nintendo ROMs, Nintendo emulators and/or illegal copying devices can be held liable for copyright and trademark violations, regardless of whether the illegal software and/or devices are on their site or whether they are linking to the sites where the illegal items are found.

Mind you, I don't care much about the volatility of the media in question. In my eyes making personal backups of your own legally bought video games is pretty much the equivalent of recording movies or TV shows on VHS. Or whatever new fangled media the kiddies use nowadays, i just mention VHS because taping TV and movies is something almost everyone with VHS players did (it was cheap and easy to do, blank media was sold everywhere). But the law, or at least the way copyright holders interpret the law can be very screwy.

Now I don't personally have any problem whatsoever with people doing whatever they want with their own legally obtained media within reason. As far as i'm concerned, save for distributing copies and other obviously shady practices, you should have the right to do whatever you like with the things you bought. However my opinion about the matter is irrelevant in the eyes of the law and copyright holders. Copyright holders don't care if you make backups of legally purchased games for purely personal purposes, they still want said people in court right alongside the people who distribute the content online and pirates who download the content. And a lot of law abiding people get caught up in the crossfire in the witch hunt. DRM is a good example of this, it does pretty much nothing to stop pirates, but makes life miserable to normal legit customers.

Piracy is obviously illegal, though in reality cops are pretty unlikely to beat your door down for it. They generally go after the people who upload the content.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville