So even Capcom agrees the 3DS VC needs to support SNES games.

#51BlanketPIPosted 8/23/2014 8:40:20 AM
As stupid as it is, I think the idea is more that the copy, itself, is not illegal, even if the copier is. I mean, if one buys an ordinary cucumber without paying tax, they have bought it illegally, but the cucumber isn't illegal.
Also, I think for the Wii U, it would be illegal only if the software was modified as such...? (Unless that is something the Wii U can do out of the box, but I haven't heard of such, not that I'd really pay attention to such matters.)
Anyway, as to why this stuff is illegal, I primarily think that the idea is, the consumer does not have any rights to the product, except for the very narrow idea of what the consumer actually buys. So if I buy Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy, I did not buy Kirby's Dream Land, because it is actually Kirby's Dream Land, put on a Game Boy cartridge, published by Nintendo. We don't have any rights to the software (I mean, if they made it, but never released it to anyone, ever, we would own just as much, compared to if they did release but we didn't buy it) so by that logic, we are only sold the least they can legally sell in the cartridge. (or disc) Make of that what you will.

Also, it is amazing how far even a topic like this can travel....
I am surprised that Capcom would mention that in regards to Mega Man X, but I suppose that, at least for them, it isn't Mega Man 7, which would involve the original creation. That being said, I don't really expect Nintendo to react from this, given Sega's 3D Classics and their pricing, among other things. I suspect they'll wait for the next handheld. *shrugs*
---
Sorry, can't talk; switching feet!
Genealogy traces back nigh all Jews to one (or more) of 4 women, as in the Bible
#52AmandaDanielPosted 8/23/2014 8:59:30 AM
"According to Nintendo's website"

As I said before- I don't speak to Nintendo's claims, nor am I addressing compact discs or other media. The relevant legal terms I'm using are directly related only to specific matters of legality in regards to the copying of items that originated from a cartridge read-only memory, given that said specific item is the narrow focus of the last number of posts in this topic.
---
Let's all laugh at an industry that never learns anything, tee hee hee!
- Zero Punctuation
#53Mariofan15Posted 8/23/2014 10:01:05 AM
PS4Warrior posted...
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/235733-capcom-says-mega-man-x-would-make-a-great-addition-to-the-3ds-vc-if-it-supported-snes-games

Holy heck get on the ball Nintendo, stop crapping all over the 3DS VC. It's pathetic that it's been out for at least 3 years and still no SNES, GBA, etc.

Nintendo never said anything about releasing SNES games.Only about GBA games.
---
3DS FC:3394-3658-2611
Pokemon White 2 National Dex Completed:9/26/2013
#54TinyTim123Posted 8/23/2014 10:07:15 AM
I just want to add, of course Nintendo doesn't want one to copy their own games.

Record companies don't want you to rip your own CDs to put that music on an mp3 player. They have fought in court to enforce that it is just WRONG for you to do what you want with music you have legally purchased. If you want to put your music on your iPod, then you damn well better buy your music from iTunes too!

So, you know, "right" and "legality" don't always walk hand in hand.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ed6b/
i just have one of those for SNES stuff.
I'm waiting for the 25 (or is it 27?) years to be up so that an N64 model can be made.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#55corex3dPosted 8/23/2014 10:33:15 AM
supaboy is better but on topic I would love to see snes games on 3ds but it probably won't happen gba games are a lot more likely wouldn't mind Nintendo releasing some kind of snes collection like sega does constantly with genesis games
#56IrateGameFAQerPosted 8/23/2014 10:43:47 AM
Mariofan15 posted...

Nintendo never said anything about releasing SNES games.Only about GBA games.

they never said that about GBA either. Stop lying.
---
#1 Chris Bores fan!
#57TerraPhantomPosted 8/23/2014 2:19:56 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
It's illegal. Period. You only have legal right to your own back ups. If you didn't dump the rom, then it's someone else's back up, not yours.

It's also impossible to distinguish between a dump of your own cartridge and one floating on the internet. Proper dumps will be bit for bit identical. So on the off chance you do get sued, that's reasonable doubt right there
#58keyblader1985Posted 8/23/2014 2:37:15 PM
I never understand why people say "Nintendo never said they'd do SNES/GBA." That's completely irrelevant; the point is that we're asking for it. Demand is high and it's not impossible (not to mention 3DS VC feels lacking without them), so people are wondering what's the deal.
---
Official King of PotD
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
#59n00bsaib0tPosted 8/23/2014 2:39:41 PM
TerraPhantom posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...
It's illegal. Period. You only have legal right to your own back ups. If you didn't dump the rom, then it's someone else's back up, not yours.

It's also impossible to distinguish between a dump of your own cartridge and one floating on the internet. Proper dumps will be bit for bit identical. So on the off chance you do get sued, that's reasonable doubt right there

Do you own the equipment to dump them? That's a good reason to doubt they dumped them themselves.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#60AmandaDanielPosted 8/23/2014 2:53:44 PM
"It's also impossible to distinguish between a dump of your own cartridge and one floating on the internet. Proper dumps will be bit for bit identical. So on the off chance you do get sued, that's reasonable doubt right there"

It's illegal to dump your own cartridges. See above discussion.
---
Let's all laugh at an industry that never learns anything, tee hee hee!
- Zero Punctuation