Do OG 3ds still scratch themselves?

#1bigbug1992Posted 8/23/2014 2:29:58 PM(edited)
I bought an OG 3ds when they first came out, and after a few weeks, had to contact Nintendo and ask for a refund.

The problem was, the raised area around the bottom screen was pressing against the top screen while the unit was closed, and was scuffing up the top screen.

Seeing it as a design flaw (that their customer service admitted to) I got my refund and waited to get an XL model before I bought a new system.

My question, as posted in the title, is if that happens with newer regular 3ds or if they fixed it, or if there is a fix. Don't suggest screen protectors, because the ones I got didn't help the first time. The bottom screen scraped them up bad enough I had to take them off
---
Fear not the army of wolves led by the sheep. Fear the army of sheep led by the wolves.
Follow the buzzards
#2supermegabloxPosted 8/23/2014 3:11:56 PM
bigbug1992 posted...
I bought an OG 3ds when they first came out, and after a few weeks, had to contact Nintendo and ask for a refund.

The problem was, the raised area around the bottom screen was pressing against the top screen while the unit was closed, and was scuffing up the top screen.

Seeing it as a design flaw (that their customer service admitted to) I got my refund and waited to get an XL model before I bought a new system.

My question, as posted in the title, is if that happens with newer regular 3ds or if they fixed it, or if there is a fix. Don't suggest screen protectors, because the ones I got didn't help the first time. The bottom screen scraped them up bad enough I had to take them off

hm, that has never happened to me, the raised area for me hasnt scratched up my 3ds. only problem ive hadsince i got it on launch was the r button stopped working so i went out and bought the fire emblem 3ds
---
Not changing this sig until a new Jet Set Radio game or JSRF remakes announced. Started 7/26/2014
Vita>WiiU>3DS>PS2>Xbox360>PS3
#3Groudon199Posted 8/23/2014 3:23:17 PM
It still leaves a mark on the top screen, but that's all. If it was a scratch, I wouldn't be able to wipe it off.
---
Replace "it's" with "it is". If it doesn't make sense, use "its".
Same idea with "your" and "you're".
#4Bigmac909Posted 8/23/2014 3:24:36 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just a mark. Very interesting that you got a refund though.
---
3DS FC: 3695 - 0067 - 4389 Name: Shane
Pokemon X Safari: Fire Type - Larvesta, Magmar, & Fletchinder!
#5SaraAB87Posted 8/23/2014 3:59:52 PM
Yes they still scratch themselves, it leaves a mark but that eventually becomes a permanent mark. It also depends on how much pressure you are putting on the top screen, if you are carrying it in a case between books in a backpack, the marks will be much more heavy. This can be fixed by using screen protectors from day 1.
---
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 3926-4622-6128
#6n00bsaib0tPosted 8/23/2014 3:59:53 PM
That "mark" becomes a scratch if you let the friction of the bottom screen vs the top screen go on long enough.

And not all 3DS units had this issue. Mine did, but my wife's didn't.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#7TinyTim123Posted 8/23/2014 4:12:09 PM
My launch aqua had this issue; I dealt with it with both screen protectors and by keeping the little foam rectangle that comes with a new system between the screens when I carry it around. The problem presents itself more strongly when the 3DS is carried around in a back pocket. My understanding is that the newer models adjusted for it a bit, but it can still get marked up if carried around in a pocket a lot, since the XL can also be marked up in that way.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#8bigbug1992(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 7:26:00 PM
Looks like I'm getting a 2ds then.

I need a backup unit for Smash, because I know how rough I am on my gc controllers playing Brawl and I don't want to blow out the circle pad on my Mario and Luigi XL.

I actually do like the 3D feature and keep it on at almost all times, so the only deciding factor is if newer units had this problem, as I know launch units did.

Based on the responses, I'd say it's better to play it safe and go for a 2ds than risking my OCD making me return yet another unit.

As for the people surprised I got a refund, if you continually hound them and request the same representative multiple times a day to b**** at them, they will eventually break down and have you return the unit to them.
---
Fear not the army of wolves led by the sheep. Fear the army of sheep led by the wolves.
Follow the buzzards
#9RambiRunnerPosted 8/23/2014 8:07:44 PM
Haven't had mine scratch yet. It only leaves a ring mark, which I just wipe off.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, put this in your sig.
My free book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ILILYW6
#10Xynaxus64Posted 8/23/2014 8:22:55 PM
RambiRunner posted...
Haven't had mine scratch yet. It only leaves a ring mark, which I just wipe off.

This.
---
Metroid = Rayman > All
Rayman is in Smash!