Tuning calculator?

#1OrangePoetPosted 12/2/2012 3:11:27 PM
Could somebody point me to a good tuning calculator? I honestly don't know how to tune a car properly and I was hoping a calculator could help me a little bit.
---
XBL Gamertag: oPUNCHDRUNKo
It's not a matter of luck,It's just a matter of time
#2FrEshBrEadStiCkPosted 12/2/2012 10:06:24 PM
If you have an Android phone with a data plan, try out the ForzaDroid app. A buddy uses it to get a base tune, before dialing it in himself. It works pretty well, because he's sent me a few of the tunes it provides, before he tweaked em.
---
Speed is relative. Floor it.
#3JGA1980Posted 12/3/2012 12:19:19 AM
I use this one:

http://www.forzatraders.com/forza-motorsport-3-car-setup-tool

Despite being written for Forza 3, I've found it still works well for Forza 4 and is great for getting a good baseline setup for any car.

It's better than the game defaults and I've found I only really need to adjust the brake settings and differential to suit my driving style and the car, everything else seems to work OK for me.

I've never set a car up using that tool and felt it doesn't handle well or handles unexpectedly, and as I've been working my way through the Event List, I seem to consistently place within the top 2%-10% of the leaderboards when (or despite) using cars I set up with that tool, so it must be pretty good for Forza 4 too.
#4OrangePoet(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 1:13:09 PM(edited)
JGA1980 posted...
I use this one:

Despite being written for Forza 3, I've found it still works well for Forza 4 and is great for getting a good baseline setup for any car.

It's better than the game defaults and I've found I only really need to adjust the brake settings and differential to suit my driving style and the car, everything else seems to work OK for me.

I've never set a car up using that tool and felt it doesn't handle well or handles unexpectedly, and as I've been working my way through the Event List, I seem to consistently place within the top 2%-10% of the leaderboards when (or despite) using cars I set up with that tool, so it must be pretty good for Forza 4 too.

I don't understand how that tool works. Shouldn't you need a car in order for that tool to work?

Also, I found this calculator on the official Forza site:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4859908.aspx

I can't seem to find the link to download it.
---
#5JGA1980Posted 12/3/2012 1:30:14 PM
OrangePoet posted...
JGA1980 posted...
I use this one:

I don't understand how that tool works. Shouldn't you need a car in order for that tool to work?

Of course you'll need a car to tune in order for that to work... how do you expect to tune without a car?

How it works is you get the car you want to tune, install adjustable (race) brakes, suspension, roll-bars, differential and front/rear adjustable spoilers for downforce (optional), then any other parts you want in order to bring it to it's desired PI.

Then you enter into the calculator the values of the car's layout, weight, weight distribution, front and rear tyre widths and, if you're using downforce, the front and rear downforce settings (or leave it at 0 if you're not using adjustable spoilers).

All of this information can be found in the upgrade menu, with the exception of downforce which is in the tuning menu (also set your desired downforce before using the calculator, I usually set it to the maximum).

Once all that information is entered, it will display the suspension settings you should use. It also displays brake and differential settings, but I tend to deviate from what it suggests for those parts.

I use that calculator because it doesn't require Microsoft Excel and it's pretty quick and simple to use, not to mention it's suggested settings seem better than the default suspension settings.
#6OrangePoet(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 2:00:17 PM
Of course you'll need a car to tune in order for that to work... how do you expect to tune without a car?

How it works is you get the car you want to tune, install adjustable (race) brakes, suspension, roll-bars, differential and front/rear adjustable spoilers for downforce (optional), then any other parts you want in order to bring it to it's desired PI.

Then you enter into the calculator the values of the car's layout, weight, weight distribution, front and rear tyre widths and, if you're using downforce, the front and rear downforce settings (or leave it at 0 if you're not using adjustable spoilers).

All of this information can be found in the upgrade menu, with the exception of downforce which is in the tuning menu (also set your desired downforce before using the calculator, I usually set it to the maximum).

Once all that information is entered, it will display the suspension settings you should use. It also displays brake and differential settings, but I tend to deviate from what it suggests for those parts.

I use that calculator because it doesn't require Microsoft Excel and it's pretty quick and simple to use, not to mention it's suggested settings seem better than the default suspension settings.

lol I know you need a car in order tune. I was just confused because I thought that the tool would let you pick the car and then tune that car.

So.. basically you take your cars default tune settings and enter them into the tool and it will tell you how to tune the car?
---
#7JGA1980Posted 12/3/2012 3:02:02 PM
OrangePoet posted...

lol I know you need a car in order tune. I was just confused because I thought that the tool would let you pick the car and then tune that car.

So.. basically you take your cars default tune settings and enter them into the tool and it will tell you how to tune the car?

You take the car's upgraded values, not default settings, and enter them into the calculator (cars at their default settings won't have the adjustable parts for you to tune).

The tool won't let you pick from a list of cars because each car can have almost infinite variations of the important values (depending on how you upgrade it) and it is these important values that affect the suspension settings.

The important values like weight, weight distribution and tyre width will change as you upgrade your car, so once your car is upgraded to where you want it, you enter these values into the calculator and it should give you good suspension setting to use.

For example, to take a stock D Class Ferrari Dino 246 GT (key values = MR layout, 2380lbs, 41% weight distribution, 180mm tyres IIRC), and turn it into an S Class AWD machine, after installing all the relevant parts you would enter it's new values into the tuning calculator (assuming everything is set to Imperial measurements).

Layout changes from Mid Engine Rear Wheel Drive to Mid Engine All Wheel Drive.
Weight is now 2488lbs.
Wight distribution is now 45%
Front tyre width is now 225mm.
Rear tyre width is now 225mm.
Set front downforce to 100lbs.
Set rear downforce to 200lbs.

This should return these suspension and miscellaneous settings:

Tyre pressure = 29/29 front/rear.

Front camber = -1.0
Rear camber = -0.9
Front toe = 0.0
Rear toe = - 0.1
Caster = 4.7

Front anti-roll bar = 15.60
Rear anti-roll bar = 22.40

Front springs = 467.2 (round up or down to nearest .5)
Rear springs = 679

Front rebound = 5.0
Rear rebound = 7.3
Front bump = 3.6
Rear bump = 5.2

*Brake balance = 48%
*Brake pressure = 90%

*Front acceleration = 30%
*Front deceleration = 0%
*Rear acceleration = 60%
*Rear deceleration = 60%
*Torque = 80%

* = these are the only settings I change once I've got a feel for the car and how it turns/steers under power.

Those suspension setting are a good baseline for you to apply, enabling you to get an idea of what good settings are, but once you get use to using the calculator and using it on many different types of cars, you'll start to notice what factors affect what settings and how you can tweak them to your liking.

However, the other school of thought in the subject is that all tuning calculators are a cop out, promote lazy tuning and prevent you from actually learning for yourself.

While that may be true and while it may not be better than hitting the books, learning proper tuning theory and developing your own tunes from scratch through hours of trial and error, I don't have that kind of time or brain-space and am quite content with my adequate car tunes.
#8OrangePoet(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 3:56:14 PM
Are you sure this will work with F4?
---
#9MinunSSPosted 12/3/2012 4:42:27 PM
Those settings suck.
---
Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
#10JGA1980Posted 12/3/2012 6:33:18 PM
OrangePoet posted...
Are you sure this will work with F4?

The same suspension categories apply from Forza 3 to Forza 4 as far as I know, it's just the tyre model that's changed, so for the most part those settings should be a good baseline.

At the end of the day, I seem to get consistently good results (average in the top 10%, sometimes in the top 1-5% of the leaderboards) running cars using settings from that calculator and I don't notice the cars handling abnormally, so unless I'm a Godlike player who could actually be topping the leaderboards if I wasn't using bad tunes, those settings are adequate.

I'm sure you could get better settings if you learnt how to tune properly, but that's a time consuming process so using a calculator is good enough for a layman (or you could just buy blind tunes from the Storefront and trust that they're good).
More topics from this board...
The Forza 4 overhaul threadpez2k_15412/21 2:40PM