Maria = Worst character in the game?

#31Enix Belmont(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2011 7:31:41 AM
I never said Yoko has the lowest DPS. It's high, but thats ALL she has. No special ability, no shortcuts.

And Alucard can use dual Valmanways and berserker mail. I dunno how you can say he's the worst. He's also the fastest kill on Astarte I think, he seems to attack faster with fists than Soma to me. A few less options than Soma make him seems pointless, but really, hes not the worst.

And again I'm not even dissing Maria or Yoko. You can use them well. I'm just asking who the worst character is. I say its undoubtedly between the 3 spellcasters.
---
http://i38.tinypic.com/15mk29j.jpg
#32DarkkOnePosted 1/31/2011 7:41:23 AM
Honestly, I'd say Soma's the worst character, because of what he seems to do to players. I only say this because we aren't rating on pure DPS, so I assume we're rating on "how I feel about the character."

An awful lot of Soma players get lazy. Because they can blend through enemies, they often try to run through enemies that aren't dead yet, or don't dodge on the assumption they'll just get their life back. I end up resurrecting Soma players mid-level twice as often, or more, as I resurrect other characters. Sure, a good Soma player will tear things up. A good Alucard player will tear things up almost as much. A good Richter will throw martial arts all over the place. Yoko and Maria and Charlotte can heal (pretty pointless if you're soloing and good, not pointless at all if you have people who are 'decent' but not really up to surviving a boss fight without any risk of death, etc, since it can make the difference between 23 minutes left on the clock and 7 minutes left from dying skeletons). Maria being a healer with jump kick, an invaluable dodging and mobility technique, is pretty nice. Not to mention her attacks are generally quite flexible for costing 10mp.

I don't know that there IS a "worst" character unless you pick some solid metric upon which to compare. If we go with "Characters I'm least likely to play" then it's Jonathan, Julius, Yoko and Charlotte. I also probably won't play Soma unless I need something that only drops for him, or I suspect my group is going to have difficulty and I want to sort of streamline things.
#33LilstormcloudPosted 1/31/2011 7:44:23 AM
yoko is, coz she's god irritating with her holy everything everywhere voice and she runs like there's a stick up her unmentionables. also doesnt help when she stands it looks like she's got a hunch back and that giggle IS JUST CREEPY.
#34AuTpBoRomulusPosted 1/31/2011 7:52:33 AM
And seriously - how is Hymn any good at all? People talk about it like it was a fantastic ability, and I'm just not seeing it; I'm not trying to troll, I just seriously don't get it. Am I missing something, or what? 'Cause given how crazy long it takes to cast - and how obnoxiously slow-moving the projectiles are - the actual payoff when the notes finally land is beyond underwhelming. With all that buildup, you'd think it would do more per-hit damage than - say - just kind of smacking a boss with the VK.

It's actually pretty good given the MP costs. For 10 MP you get like what, 7 hits? It deals Holy damage, so on most enemies, it will deal about ~120 damage per hit. Do the math yourself, for a 7-hit attack it's very cheap.
It also is nicely BDC-able and you will pretty much never run out of MP while casting.

Yes it's slow and takes forever to finish, but the damage is still quite juicy and when it comes to spellcaster comparison, Maria using Hymn will be the last standing spellcaster after Yoko and Charlotte ran out of their MP on some bosses.

As for your other point, Maria is anything but bad. Bai Hu and Zhu Que are really useful spells, especially on bigger targets or targets out of reach.

However, she is more supposed to be a defensive spellcaster, what with her having some of the best defensive options (tiny hurtbox, turtle to half damage, jumpkick to boot) and great crowd control with her fast and big hitboxes.
---
touch everywhere.
#35MagicPinkPosted 1/31/2011 8:19:12 AM
I've played everyone and I've found Maria to easily be the smoothest and most versatile to use.
#36Valmanways4EverPosted 1/31/2011 9:05:47 AM
Honestly, I'd say Soma's the worst character, because of what he seems to do to players. I only say this because we aren't rating on pure DPS, so I assume we're rating on "how I feel about the character."

An awful lot of Soma players get lazy. Because they can blend through enemies, they often try to run through enemies that aren't dead yet, or don't dodge on the assumption they'll just get their life back.
I end up resurrecting Soma players mid-level twice as often, or more, as I resurrect other characters. Sure, a good Soma player will tear things up. A good Alucard player will tear things up almost as much. A good Richter will throw martial arts all over the place. Yoko and Maria and Charlotte can heal (pretty pointless if you're soloing and good, not pointless at all if you have people who are 'decent' but not really up to surviving a boss fight without any risk of death, etc, since it can make the difference between 23 minutes left on the clock and 7 minutes left from dying skeletons). Maria being a healer with jump kick, an invaluable dodging and mobility technique, is pretty nice. Not to mention her attacks are generally quite flexible for costing 10mp.

I disagree. They aren't lazy, they're just trained to press the attack no matter what, doubly so if they use Soma for SP farming. We all know MP is a different kind of beast and when you've just come off a couple hundred runs of "just keep attacking, it'll die" it takes a minute to acclimate.

I don't know that there IS a "worst" character unless you pick some solid metric upon which to compare. If we go with "Characters I'm least likely to play" then it's Jonathan, Julius, Yoko and Charlotte. I also probably won't play Soma unless I need something that only drops for him, or I suspect my group is going to have difficulty and I want to sort of streamline things.

I'm halfway in between. I don't think there are any bad characters, but I think Jon takes way too much of an investment to be as useful as the others. In general, whip users are tougher to max than the ladies because subweapons seem to take so much more time to level and/or require slot alternating over BDC, and Jon takes it even further with a abundance of subs. The result being Jon takes the most time to max, and he has to waste time with Paper Plane to do so. Might as well tape a Kick Me sign to the back of his sprite.
---
Get Blenderized!
#37Tomu_CatPosted 1/31/2011 10:23:42 AM
Jonathan may take longer to level but hes got far more options than the other whip users. Shuriken and Kunai are excellent ranged attacks. Wrecking ball is high damage has a huge hit box and he recovers mp while its going. His "sonic jump" is a great trick to get him around the level and both sonic strike and knee are excellent for evasion tricks and invincibility frames. Oh and he has the best uppercut.

Maria is awesome as a level clearing character the only place she falls short is when bosses only have one area to damage and she cant hit it with hymn or guardian knuckle, ie. Retro Count. She utterly destroys, Astarte, Legion and Beezlebub. She was the worst pre patch but definitely not any more.

Im not an Alucard player so i cant make a fair judgement but shouldnt he be up for discussion because nearly everything he has Soma does better. Have his unique weapons been buffed enough now to make him a decent alternative or are we going to hope for awesome shield rod abilities?
#38FoxyArekuPosted 1/31/2011 10:35:29 AM
With all that buildup, you'd think it would do more per-hit damage than - say - just kind of smacking a boss with the VK.

My Hymn hits for 800 per casting total.
---
Youtube Account: http://www.youtube.com/user/foxyareku
My GT is the same as my name, herpa derp.
#39DarkkOnePosted 1/31/2011 10:43:52 AM
Alucard Sword +1 hits harder than just about anything but Claimh and Death Scythe, and is ridiculously fast even without BDC making Alucard pretty good for many things. And Mist Form is pretty much the best "oops" button in the game, being able to save you from a very large number of boss attacks when you're wearing berserk mail and move left when you meant to move right, or whatever.

While Soma does many, many, many things better than Alucard, I'd say Alucard still has a role for some players, for sure.
#408_Bit_FoxPosted 1/31/2011 11:20:02 AM
La la laaaa, la la laa laaaa + same voice actor as taokaka = a pretty damn good character.
---
In the deepest ocean, the bottom of the sea...
Your eyes... They turn me